Test rode a dl1000, mixed feelings - Page 6 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Moderator++

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStrom View Post
Don't all the auto makers need to pass EPA regs??,my FI cars run great no fueling issues!!.
Cars get new engine designs every few years. Suzuki doesn't sell enough DL1000s to redo the engine. The DL650's design is newer and it still got a makeover on 2007 and again in 2012 because they sell more.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thats my point,Suzuki COULD fix the problem BUT since we don't stop buying it there is no imcentive for them to put any $$ into it.If the model tanked becuase of the problem they might fix it but they would probably just drop the model..

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Lonestrom, I understand your frustration. Greywolf is correct also. Remember, your car has a cat (catalytic) convertor and a closed loop EFI system. By closed loop, the exhaust has O2 sensors down and upstream of the cat monitoring combustion efficiency. So your modern car and many bikes are constantly adjusting the EFI for maximum efficiency and acceptable drivability. The Vee is an old design.

I bitched when I first got mine thinking I could tune out the issues. But I could not and hated the low rpm mapping. Is it illegal to remap by a dealer...likely so and I will not publish who did mine but what I did do was ask around the better shops for who had a dyno. This will likely be the shop who has a yosh box. The dealer that did mine did two things (at my request)..he plugged the PAIR valve (which I left on the bike just in case) that injects air back into the cylinder. Then he remapped the fuel tables for maximum hp and torque by richening up the lower end of rpm. The top end is fine on Vees because EPA does testing off idle mostly and the bike manufactureres know this.

My bike picked up about 6 hp if I recall but I wanted smooth low rpm trail and traffic power. I got it first tune. The bike lost a few mpg and runs slightly rich by plug indications and exhaust smell.

I hate to be a polluter but with old bikes you must choose one over the other. As a benefit, our dinosaur designs do not require unleaded since no cat is in exhaust....so if you ever go where no lead is not availablke you are ok with most any flamable swill.

A fuel controller will accomplist the same thing but you either need to trust anothers settings as your entry, or still dyno tune the bike.
2002 White HD Road King Police (divorced)
2000 Red Honda XR 400r
2003 Green Honda Rincon 650 ATV

If it is not broken, it can still be fixed

Last edited by Scott E. Bonds; 11-26-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

We lost 2 dealers here in the last year so finding one with that box might be hard.Maybe I will just buy a PC,Early Xmas present !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-27-2012, 06:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Cars get new engine designs every few years. Suzuki doesn't sell enough DL1000s to redo the engine. The DL650's design is newer and it still got a makeover on 2007 and again in 2012 because they sell more.
Nearly the same engine here in the UK SV1000 has an Oxygen sensor in the pipe beneath the engine and what looks like a small cat in the very front of each can. This since introduction in 2003. I find the engine is smooth in the lower ranges without glitches at all. They could have done the same for US market DL1000.

Perhaps US regulations are not so keen for motorcycles as they are for cars to give the home manufacturers with those old air cooled engines a chance? If Suzuki don't need to spend on modification and extra approval for that market they won't.

Any engine with PAIR is old design trying it's best to be clean for the tests at idle and just off. All pair does is pump air into the exhaust gas as it leaves the cylinder head. Air plays no part in the combustion process as it enters down stream of the exhaust valve. Just thins (dilutes) the dirty gas so it will pass the regulations as it exits the exhaust pipe where it's measured. Test checks volume of dirty gas versus clean gas. Add more clean gas before it comes out the pipe and its said to be a cleaner engine. Truth is it makes just the same muck.

Triumph just fitted PAIR to their latest Boneville engine here. Made to look like a fancy spark plug cover with a plug lead.

I hope to get a good snoop round the new 2014 1K VStrom in a day or so. New cylinder heads will be one area of great interest. Expecting the PAIR system has gone and an extra spark plug in place. Report back if anything worthy of note.

Last edited by svman; 11-27-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:33 AM
$tromtrooper

See if left case is bigger/wider to accommodate more electric generation

You would be best to look at clutch cover to see if there is a modification

I would be very surprised if she doesn't have O2 sensor closed loop efi. This would solve many of the VEE problems

We here expect a verbose report.... carry on
Old 11-27-2012, 04:55 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by svman View Post
I hope to get a good snoop round the new 2014 1K VStrom in a day or so.
New cylinder heads will be one area of great interest.
Expecting the PAIR system has gone and an extra spark plug in place.

Report back if anything worthy of note.
Yes indeed SV,
Even if you run a new thread on the subject, please be sure to report back here if you can get a lOOk at that new DL mill.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

mine doesn't do the pulsing and the front brake seems good. It sounds like a "bad bike" and I'd stay away from it.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:09 PM
$tromtrooper

The new motor definately has another spark by the looks of it.
PC-V, TRE, CR8EIX , ECM, K&N, RDL, PR4, PC-8, EB H4, WERKS, Madstad 22", 17/43 gearing, AdventureTech: Fork brace, shelf, mirror extenders, SpeedoDRD, wheel spacer, Head's-Up voltage monitor, Goldwing pegs, Sonic 1.1.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt1moore View Post
The new motor definately has another spark by the looks of it.
Definately does. Here's hoping the fuei injection is all refined and only sips at it for a decent range.

Clutch cover and Generator covers are exactly the same as existing. Could be they changed the insides without altering the covers. That said I think they would have been tempted to change the style outside to promote anything new inside.

Last edited by svman; 11-29-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buy , dl1000 , surging , test ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.