Test rode a dl1000, mixed feelings - Page 4 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

3 years ago I bought an 03 1000 with low mileage. I had read about all the issues here on the forum , and decided it was a no brainer, buy the bike and make it work, mine had a bit of an issue with being over geared and under fuelled at about 3000 to 4000 rpm with this problem and the loosness in the clutch basket , you get what some call chudder, not much unlike lugging any engine , esp if you have some play in the driveline. I did the throttle body sync, and went up to 43 tooth on the wheel sprocket. this made it sooo much better , then I got a pc 111 , and with a map made for a stock bike , it was transformed into a totally different bike , to me it's still not as linear and smooth as a well tuned bike with carbs, but hey it's working for me , I can now use 6th gear a lot more, there's hardly any chudder from the clutch, and it will pull reasonably hard at a lot lower rpm than before. It's working as I wanted it to , a reliable two up tourer with gobs of torque and comfort for two .
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

How come my friends new goldwing and his wifes new NC700 run great right off the showroom floor??.I understand that the EPA makes them meet certain laws but it seems like other makes meet these rules and there FI bikes run great.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I have an idea...go buy a Gold Wing...better yet,,,,go on a Gold Wing site, & tell me they have no issues...
There is no winning with you...write Suzuki or something...i dunno.

We give you alittle advice to make a CHEAP bike run alittle better, & you keep going on a tantrum.

Alittle effort in adjustments, & you are golden.....but again you don't wantto hear that...how old are you again ???
Old 11-24-2012, 08:10 PM
$tromtrooper

Default Second

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie-Strom View Post
I have an idea...go buy a Gold Wing...better yet,,,,go on a Gold Wing site, & tell me they have no issues...
There is no winning with you...write Suzuki or something...i dunno.

We give you alittle advice to make a CHEAP bike run alittle better, & you keep going on a tantrum.

Alittle effort in adjustments, & you are golden.....but again you don't wantto hear that...how old are you again ???
I'll second this Newfie "emotion". The DL1000 is a bomb! They simply rock on high octane gas 91 plus! I'm sure there isn't a better bike for the money. Whiners deserve vanilla Hondas.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I am no expert, however here is my two cents worth. I just bought a 08 DL1000 that had staintune exhaust fitted. I was having the same issues that every body else appears to have around the 3500 rpm mark. A quick google and I was booked in to have a power commander 5, k&n filter fitter and custom map by Powerhouse Dynotuning at the Gold Coast. The change is remarkable. Best $885 I have ever spent. No shudder, no backfire, just dream to ride.

Factor this in your budget and you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-24-2012, 09:24 PM
$tromtrooper

Don't let em' get you down LoneStrom...
I'm starting a "DL1000 Complaints Dept." thread in the Off Topic & Member Therapy section.
A place where disgruntled Vee owners can really pump the bilges.

We'll have weekly features such as...
1.) General complaints to Suzuki Motor Corporation.
2.) Political rants about why we are stuck with an anemic fuel mixture in the first place.
3.) A direct-threat email link to Mr. Osamu Suzuki himself.
4.) Grief counselors for bewildered noob owners of bran-new Vee's that only have their service manager to rely on (as the sales staff ducks them).

It'll be a community service and will help keep repetitive complaints OUT of the general forums too.
A Win-Win addition to the board.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Every bike has a little glitch here or there, & some have major ones. Only for the internet we probably wouldn't really take much notice.

I've switched bikes with my friends all the time, & they LOVE my VEE. Many of them are now in the market for them,,,,so if you have a stuttering Vee, & want to off load it at a throw out price...we will be glad to snatch it up, & spend a few hours to make it amazing

Mine has not developed the chudder yet, & juring the off season i will spend an afternoon doing the free washer mod, to ensure i don't find out what chudder is...

I do not have a PC on my bike. It was alittle wierd in certain rev ranges when i got it, so i decided to do a TBS, & found that the airboot to throttle body was off on the rear...fixed that synced the throttle bodies, removed the secondaries, & WOW !!!!!!!!!!! Of course i put extenders on my TB hookups so i don't have to remove the tank to do a sync A simple 15 minute task now at the most.

I bought this Vee at an awesome price !!! Why, because of the hiccups the previous one owner could not live with.....a few hours of my time, & zero dollars....& BAM.....LUVIT !!!! The rev range some people complain about, is my favorite...especially in over drive (100-120 kph / 60-70 mph)......i seriously look at the tach to ensure the engine is still goin...LOL.....can't even here it
Old 11-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

I bought my K2 Vee w/ 23k miles last year and love it. yes, I had to tweak it a little and spent a few bucks- but it is by far the best bike I have ever owned and love it to death now

Next time I'll put some effort into my username. This one sounds like a toilet Bowl cleaner or Treadmill, or..
Old 11-24-2012, 10:21 PM
$tromtrooper

All kidding aside...
As a wrench-a-holic I have had a blast tweaking & modding the Vee.
And agreed (even with 16/43 gearing), at 80MPH the Vee simply hums. Smooth as silk on the interstate considering its sub 600 pound weight class.

But when I think of the Teka Tuners,
Werks baskets,
TPS replacements,
custom rear wheel offset shims,
fuel gauge tweaks,
gearing swaps,
suspension mods,
buffeting issues, etc, etc...
I can't help but pity any noob that just laid out ten grand on a new Vee and has no idea what he's gotten into.

Yup. Don't think I'd swap my 06 for a 2012 on an even trade.
Just sayin' mine's a keeper (at this stage anyway).
Cheers.
-Ej-
Old 11-25-2012, 01:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

No worries,I speak my mind and expect others to do the same I hold no ill feelings for people.I just feel like I got took alittle by mother Suzuki BUT I bought the bike,I ride the bike 200 miles a week,52 weeks a year and I'm planning a 7,000 mile trip to Dead Horse in June.I will sell it at some point and I might give in and buy a PC before Alaska.I just will do more research before I buy another new bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buy , dl1000 , surging , test ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.