Test rode a dl1000, mixed feelings - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw View Post
While they're in there look at the throttle body boots

Re Honda/Toyota

You sign an agreement to buy 1.2 million vehicles Suzuki will fix all the issues.

The reality is it is the only reasonably priced true UJM you can buy.

What's a f"n Multistada now $22,000 ?

If I were a vehicle engineer and YOUR duly elected politicians made it so it ran like sh*t I would not be apologetic or sympathetic.
So what your saying is that Suzuki could fix the issues ( that never should have been there in the first place ) if they sold more bikes ???.
My 1982 GS850 has the same electrical shortcommings as my 07 V,so I guess Suzuki never sold enough units to fix that !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

The real peoblem is that we as riders/consumers keep buying bikes that have know issues so Suzuki has no reason to fix the problems!!.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-24-2012, 02:19 PM
$tromtrooper

Gads! I love when people complain about the Vee.
Not sure why, but it truly warms my heart.
I think it gives me a sense of companionship as I continually dump time & money into my Vee trying to get it to be as reliable as my stinky little GS500 beater bike.
Just sayin'
Old 11-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

A V-Strom is an AWESOME deal in the first place, so "IF" you have to throw alittle change at it to make it perfect....then big fuggin deal !!!

I done a few recommended setting / adjustments to my second hand VEE in an afternoon, & it RUNS AWESOME !!!

I am going to have the seller take it for a ride tomorrow
Old 11-24-2012, 04:08 PM
$tromtrooper

I have tweaked my bike some to modify some stock behavior.

but

With a magnet glue and tps every 30,000 miles they will go 250,000 miles.

Yes it may make vibration and surging but she'll be running.

The jetting is because of the government but I do think they would do better because I am sure it would be no more than 100 cost to get rid oof chudder and electrical problems, so yes they are kinda guilty
Old 11-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
Gads! I love when people complain about the Vee.
Not sure why, but it truly warms my heart.
I think it gives me a sense of companionship as I continually dump time & money into my Vee trying to get it to be as reliable as my stinky little GS500 beater bike.
Just sayin'
I have one of those pesky little reliable GS500 also !!.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

When you buy a NEW bike you should get it without 6-8 year old know problems.I understand that a first year bike will have problems BUT they should be corrected,and by year 6-8 they should not exist!!.Don't get me wrong I like my V and have rode it for almost 50,000 miles with the clutch and FI issues.I did not know about this site befire I bought it and being a Suzuki guy I wanted it baddly.I can say that before I buy my next bike I will research it more and if it's a new bike that still has old issue's it won't find it's way to my garage..

Old 11-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie-Strom View Post
A V-Strom is an AWESOME deal in the first place, so "IF" you have to throw alittle change at it to make it perfect....then big fuggin deal !!!

I done a few recommended setting / adjustments to my second hand VEE in an afternoon, & it RUNS AWESOME !!!

I am going to have the seller take it for a ride tomorrow
Change? How about $750 or so to take a stock Suzuki tuned wreck and transform it into a great running bike. It is worth it but for some that is a bit of "change" especially if you are buying one used it becomes a considerable percentage of what you paid for paid for the bike. I won't speak for everyone with a DL1000 and state that they all have air/fuel tuning issues but it sure seems like a very common complaint at the least.

New buyers of a DL1000 should beware of this investment cost.

For everyone having issues with the bike running bad in the 3K rpm range. Just buy a power commander and get the bike dyno tuned and that bad Suzuki tuning can be tuned right back out of it. If you have some change to spare that is. The bike will run like it should have when it left the factory.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStrom View Post
When you buy a NEW bike you should get it without 6-8 year old know problems.I understand that a first year bike will have problems BUT they should be corrected,and by year 6-8 they should not exist!!.Don't get me wrong I like my V and have rode it for almost 50,000 miles with the clutch and FI issues.I did not know about this site befire I bought it and being a Suzuki guy I wanted it baddly.I can say that before I buy my next bike I will research it more and if it's a new bike that still has old issue's it won't find it's way to my garage..

What is the common consensus here though? I can't imagine Suzuki selling a bike that is tuned like crap because they don't know how to tune it properly. The difference between loading a bad map and a good map into the ECU is not one that would cost them anything. My guess is the EPA forces them to do a bad tuning job on the bike to get it to pass their requirements.

As far as the bad clutch basket design goes that one is all Suzuki's bad in my book.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Moderator++

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahAboutThat View Post
My guess is the EPA forces them to do a bad tuning job on the bike to get it to pass their requirements.
That is the case.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buy , dl1000 , surging , test ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.