Test rode a dl1000, mixed feelings - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default really useful

Kurgan, that's all great stuff.
If they get back to me I'll see how much of this they've/are prepared to run through.
Craneguy, that's good stuff too. I appreciate the perspective but do wonder why I should trade a perfectly working bike for one with issues. Obviously I want the strom, but it just doesn't seem right to part with best part of 4K for a load of problems.

JRWalker, that's good for you, I don't believe these problems were anything to do with how I was riding. Smooth ride at constant throttle on the flat at 4000rpm isn't an unrealistic expectation.

I really appreciate all the feedback. This is a great forum.

I guess its gonna come down to how good the dealership is with service requests or haggling in light of this issue.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have a 07 1000 and have put almost 50,000 miles on it.It has the clutch stutter,it has a 2500-3000 rough running issue,the brakes are ok,I made it fit me ( seat,hwy pegs etc).I have had electric issue in the past,it eats chains and sprockets more than any other bike I have owned ( over 40 bikes ). But for the last year or so it has been pretty trouble free.What I don't get is why a modern bike can't run as well as my 30 year old GS850 unless you invest alot of $$$.Also I have had to do a TBS 4 times in 50,000 miles,but I have never had to synced my 4 carbs on my GS in the last 28,000 miles !!.I told my wife I would keep the DL until I wore it out OR paid it,well it will be paid off in about 6 months !!.

Just my 2 cents..

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-23-2012, 02:49 PM
$tromtrooper

From my wide reading in the world of bikes I don't think you're going to find one with no issues (wether real or just personal preference)

Lean fuel mapping and the "clutch chudder" seem to be the only mechanical issues that get widely reported.

The mapping is easily and permanently fixed and the less common chudder seems to be easily dealt with.

The other issues are mostly in the eye of the be-rider, and can also be dealt with easily. You can spend 4 grand on a Vee, 14 on a Multistrada or 18 on a GS and I'll bet they all have some gremlins to deal with.

The Vee is as good of a bike as you'll find for the price. I didn't even consider it until I saw it at the dealer's. I want a Multistrada eventually but that's only because I'm a former race-bike owning poser

'10 Vee Adv
Multiple Farkles :
Stebel Horn with Screaming Banshee,Gorilla Alarm, Madstadt Bracket, RichlandRick's fork brace, accessory shelf and mirror extenders, PCV, Twin 12v outlets, Twisted Throttle and EB Fuse Blocks, Admore Light Bar, GPS and Contour Camera Ram Mount, Bark Busters, 8k HIDS, Omni-Cruise Throttle Lock, Altrider Bars, sliders and side-stand foot. Wolfman Rainier Tank Bag, ADVMonster "30" Aux Lights
Old 11-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I had second thoughts when i was driving my Vee home, BUT THEN, I spent the afternoon doing a TBS, & found a throttle body had slipped from the boot to the air box. I also removed the secondaries.....Anyone who puts a leg over my Vee...LOVES IT !!! I cruise at 100-120 KPH in O.D. at 3000-3200 RPM.....super smooth...LUVIT !!!!!!!!
A simple afternoon made my Vee AWESOME !!!
Old 11-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneguy View Post
I want a Multistrada eventually but that's only because I'm a former race-bike owning poser
Hey....at least you're honest!

Pain is weakness leaving the body!
Old 11-23-2012, 07:44 PM
$tromtrooper

Tell the dealer to sync the throttle bodies and check the tps adjustment.

SOME

mixture problems are common but that surging is not.

If you get an enrichener the mileage should be a real 39 USA mpg using the power

Take another hop after they have tuned it.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

My point was that with all the modern tech you shouldn't have to remap and fix clutch baskets on a NEW bike !!!.
Can you imagine having to do that ( at YOUR expense ) on your new Honda Accord or Toyota Camery !!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-23-2012, 10:53 PM
$tromtrooper

lasersage, if you want a DL1000 you are going to have to deal with a few oddities and quirks.
(LoneStrom sums it up rather well).

However, if you like the look, ride, and feel of the DL1000 you can be reassured that all the issues can be sorted out with guidance from the crew here at Stromtrooper.
The Vee's bugs are well documented and all are 100% curable.
A 2007 Vee with 16k on the clock sounds like a great bike to buy, de-bug, and then enjoy for many years to come.
Just sayin'

Buy it,
post some pics,
and let the party begin!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:05 AM
Banned

Default Simple Air Leak ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasersage View Post
I test rode a dl1000 today.

Unfortunately I returned the bike to the dealer telling them I couldn't buy a bike that behaved as this one did.
At 40mph, in 3rd I think, it was doing about 4000rpm and whilst holding the throttle as steady as I could it was surging constantly.
About twice a second it was pulsing to such an extent it would do my back in if I had to ride any distance like that. Visibly altering the rev counter by 100 - 200 rpm.
Does any one know why this could be?

I'm disappointed as I really liked this bike and it was the grand touring version with luggage, centre stand and all.
I hope they can sort it.

Didn't have any chatter noises from the clutch which seemed promising after some of the concerns I've read on here.

Any advice much appreciated.
The clutch vibration as you ride problem and fuel issues like this can take some separating out because they happen at about the same engine speeds.

An owner recently made contact to ask about the same constant throttle position surging described here.

Had owned the bike about a month and was also concerned he had the clutch chudder - harsh vibration in all gears from 2,800 rpm to just short of 4,000 rpm while accelerating.

He followed the checks and diagnosed the clutch chudder with the "chudder test" so the basket modification is on his "to do" list and will arrive here soon. http://www.stromtrooper.com/group-bu...tml#post699631

Unlike the clutch issues its much harder to help diagnose fuel/induction issues over email so the bike was returned to the supplying dealer to investigate the steady throttle position surge. They found the previous owner had removed an auto chain oiler and left the inlet manifold vacuum tube open to the air. Perhaps not bothered to lift the tank to close off the tube!! In other words the bike was running ever so slightly weak because a of a small constant air leak into the inlet manifolds. This would be all the more noticeable at the constant speed you describe with the following conditions. Relatively small and constant throttle opening, engine speed constant so the throttle position telling the ECU you did not want to accelerate so the fuel injection volume shut down to a very low level. Add a slight weep of additional air and surging from the weak mixture would begin.(not quite enough fuel injected to fire every stroke - what did not burn on one stroke is left as residue which adds to the next injection so fires better)

Makes me wonder what other invisble but valuable extras a previous owner might remove from bikes just before trading them in? Leaving the new owner to sort out the original problems over again with one or two more added making things even more complicated. Power Commanders, end cans and the rest?

Last edited by svman; 11-24-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:52 AM
$tromtrooper

While they're in there look at the throttle body boots

Re Honda/Toyota

You sign an agreement to buy 1.2 million vehicles Suzuki will fix all the issues.

The reality is it is the only reasonably priced true UJM you can buy.

What's a f"n Multistada now $22,000 ?

If I were a vehicle engineer and YOUR duly elected politicians made it so it ran like sh*t I would not be apologetic or sympathetic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buy , dl1000 , surging , test ride