Test rode a dl1000, mixed feelings - Page 12 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Moderator++

The MOSFET is more efficient and keeps a steadier voltage range, especially showing higher voltages at idle. For a bike with stator problems though, a series R/R is easiest on the stator.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
The MOSFET is more efficient and keeps a steadier voltage range, especially showing higher voltages at idle. For a bike with stator problems though, a series R/R is easiest on the stator.
Thank you grey,
BTW: I moved my stator Q & A to here...
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-...tml#post884629

oh, and just found this too... http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-...ctifier-2.html
Very well then, I'm off!
Thanks,
-Ej-

Last edited by Electrojake; 12-18-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: tinkering with the verbage
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've been the lucky owner of new Vee for several months now. I've been riding for over 20 years and have done the whole sport bike/sport tourer/heavy weight tourer evolution. I bought the Vee because I was after a bike with long suspension travel that could cope with our crappy roads, and would serve as a base entry dual sport which would allow me to blast up a well groomed dirt road and get an idea of what this "Adventure" bike thing was all about. As I'll do a fair bit of "2 up" the Vee was the logical choice and I didn't have to pay a fortune for it.

So far I'm not dissappointed! I bought a Vee with my eyes open to all the potential problems that have been raised on these types of forums but I never lost sight of the fact that the Vee is a cheap bike. Compared to other up market dual sport alternatives I can purchase a Vee, fit it out with luggage and address any other issues with about $8,000 to $15000 AUD left in my pocket. It's not the best dually out there but it represents good value for money.....so I'm prepared to over look any of its short comings.

I think the bike has excellent ergos, I love the torquey twin and the more I ride the Vee the more I enjoy it. It's not perfect but for a modest outlay the bike can be easily modded to suit your requirements. I think we can all get a bit too analytical about a bike purchase and be put off by issues that aren't a huge drama in the scheme of things. With bikes my expectations have always been proportional to the amount of money I've payed. Every time I ride my Vee it keeps impressing.

Cheers,

Tony

Last edited by Bully; 12-18-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Question to ALL Vee owners..

Would you have paid 20-30% more for your bike if it had no problems??.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 12-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

No, Not all Vees are created equal.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStrom View Post

I don't think I'd pay 20% more for the "problems" that were easy to fix on this bike.

But.... if I were in the market for a new bike I'd pay 20% more for updated suspension and brakes and think a factory refined ECU map would be a good thing for sure.

I felt the same about my KLR, I'd have paid 25% more just for fuel injection, and a 6th gear. Maybe 30% more if you added not having to fix the balance shaft chain adjuster, no oil burning, better brake lines, better suspension .......

I don't always get the "leave it alone so we can sell it for a bargain price" mentality. I know it costs money for the factories to upgrade a bike, but much of it "seems" like such an easy thing for them to do and raising the cost some to cover those upgrades makes sense. It's done all the time for some models.

Look at motocross bikes. They upgrade the hell out of those bikes but other bikes will be static for years, why? Don't they think the other owners are motivated by the same reasons to upgrade their bikes? I can see leaving a model static for a few years, then have it evolve. I think "most" owners see keeping their bikes for a few years then trading it for some thing new after they've owned it for a while.

That period is variable, but a bike that doesn't change for 10 years doesn't produce much incentive to purchase new, why not just get a clean used one at half the price? I did. If there had been a new model Vstrom with significantly updated suspension, brakes, and maybe wire wheels, it would have given me reason to consider buying new, but that wasn't the case, and still isn't. Those items are the key reasons I'm considering a Tenere or Tiger, it's not because they have more power, better styling or ergos.

I've looked at all the new ADV bike engine configurations. I still like the V-twin layout the best. It's the narrowest, it's naturally smooth without needing heavy counter balancers, it feels and sounds great, it's a very good configuration.
95 KTM MXC300
Old 12-19-2012, 02:37 PM
$tromtrooper

I think only USA bikes have the crappy injector maps that need to be richened
Old 12-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default More $ to make a stock bike run right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStrom View Post

No way! Now that I have, I love it. It's a brute! Quick in the Mountains and big time fun bike. If I knew about the "issues" I would have got a Bandit.
I paid $7500 otd for my '04.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:18 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie-Strom View Post
I cruise at 100-120 KPH in O.D. at 3000-3200 RPM...
Did you adjust your gearing? I went down two teeth on the rear sprocket and I'm closer to 4,300rpm at 100Kph (down from 4,500).
Old 12-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtsuker View Post
No way! Now that I have, I love it. It's a brute! Quick in the Mountains and big time fun bike. If I knew about the "issues" I would have got a Bandit.
I paid $7500 otd for my '04.
Thats it right there !!.I wish I would have known about this site BEFORE I bought my 07,if I had known about the issue's I probably would have kept my 87 Venture royal !!
I paid $8,000 otd for my 07 in 08 ( left over )....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buy , dl1000 , surging , test ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.