Test rode a dl1000, mixed feelings - Page 11 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

There are issues with a lot of bikes out there that only come to light (and sometimes too much focus put on them) with message boards such as this.

Over the past 20 years I've owned multiples of each - Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha and Triumph.....and can give you a list of issues that are worse than what sometimes gets blown out of proportion here about the Vee.

Clutch basket issues....I can give you some for Yamaha and Kawasaki.

Overall electrical gremlins....I can give you some for Triumph.

Charging issues.....I have some for Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki.

Transmission issues including shift forks, drums and shift rod....I can give you some for every Suzuki I've owned except for the Vee so far (knock on wood).

Fueling issues........I can give examples from all the Japanese and Triumph.

How about frame issues including failing welds on aluminum perimeter frames and flex issues with steel tubular frames that can lead to motor mount failures? I have those for 2 of the Big 4 from Japan.

I've never owned a bike that didn't have some inherent flaw from the factory that the aftermarket or resourceful owners haven't solved on their own. For better or worse, it goes with the territory it seems..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 11:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

One the higher up from Suzuki North America told me 2 things this evening.
1..The pics of the new NEW Vee on the internet are from Suzuki!!.
2.. The fueling issue's have all been fixed !!.
He could not confirm that the clutch has been fixed BUT he said that they ( Suzuki NA ) has asked for a fix and Japan has been listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
There are issues with a lot of bikes out there that only come to light (and sometimes too much focus put on them) with message boards such as this.
Amen. How many new Ducatis or KTMs have I read about that don't exactly run smoothly below 4k rpm? Several Aprillias have SERIOUS fuel mapping issues. This is not an uncommon problem with motorcycles. The magazine guys like to side step the issue by saying "I didn't spend much time in that part of the rpm range...."

The EPA regs are a major part of the problem. The motorcycle has to meet some pretty goofy requirements at certain rpms and in order to meet those goals the engineers stand on their heads and mess up what is probably a perfectly smooth running map in order to get the bikes to pass. Not all bikes have the same combustion chambers, cam timing, etc. so each needs different tweaks to pass.

In general I don't find the problems with the Vee all that big a deal. A remapping solves the fueling problems very easily and can produce one of the smoothest running bikes ever. The clutch issue can be solved very easily for ~$300. Big deal, it will cost you close to $300 for a new quality chain and sprockets or a set of tires.

No bike is perfect, some are closer than others, but I've never owned a bike I didn't modify in some manner to make it better for me, just some more than others.

I rode the nice new Yamaha Super Tenere and I don't like the low speed fueling/throttle response on that bike either. CycleWorld Magazine complained about it also, so ????

I've ridden quite a few of the new ADV bikes out there and I keep thinking to myself, "gee, my old Vee is still pretty damn good". My only wants are modern suspension and brakes, both of which can be improved. I have no complaints about the engine or trans once I got them sorted out.
95 KTM MXC300
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:46 PM
$tromtrooper

Kurgan... dank... Those last couple of posts actually made me feel better about my Vee.

Over the years I've done every mod conceivable to the thing with great success.
About all that's left is the possibility of losing another stator at any moment and the fact that my fuel pump has 45,000 miles on it.
For $750.00 and an hour's wrench time I can make the fuel pump issue go away.
As for the stator...
I do have an LED type voltmeter on the bike so when she fails (yet again) I should have plenty of time to respond before the battery dies and strands me on the road.

In the mean time I'm in the process of getting a new, larger, motorcycle rescue trailer since the last one I had for our dirt bikes was a bit too small for the Vee w/luggage.
Having a Son that has a truck with a hitch (and a rescue trailer), is my "Plan-B" when my bike of choice for a weekend ride is the DL1000.

Gee, I guess that's why they call the Vee an "Adventure" bike.
-Ej-
Old 12-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
As for the stator...
I do have an LED type voltmeter on the bike so when she fails (yet again) I should have plenty of time to respond before the battery dies and strands me on the road.
Have you done the MOSFET R/R upgrade? I did that upgrade in the second week of owning my Vee. It's easy, fairly cheap, and produces amazingly smooth voltage control. Stators don't fry themselves, the R/R frys the stator.

The only thing I worry about now is "maybe" someday the magnets will fall off the flywheel if the adhesive gives up, but this is not a widely reported issue, though it has happened.

Having a MC trailer or truck around is always a good thing. I've had a 3 rail MC trailer for a long time. I've used it for my Vee a couple times.

Something to consider is Uhaul rents a MC oriented cargo style trailer for very cheap ~$15/day and they are well designed trailers for MC use. I recently helped a friend haul his Harley using one and it's a nice trailer.
95 KTM MXC300

Last edited by danketchpel; 12-18-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

My stator failed and the RR was fine ( and still is after another almost 40,000 miles ) I don't believe my RR had anything to do with it !!.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Moderator++

If you want to prevent stator problems, the best way is to use a series R/R mounted in the airstream. It takes the heat, literally and figuratively, and it seems stator burnout just about always happens near the top and that means heat failure to me as the oil bath should be more effective at the bottom. Roadstercycle-Index

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Old 12-18-2012, 05:40 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Have you done the MOSFET R/R upgrade?
It's easy, fairly cheap, and produces amazingly smooth voltage control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
If you want to prevent stator problems, the best way is to use a series R/R mounted in the airstream. It takes the heat, literally and figuratively... Roadstercycle-Index
Whoa, hold everything!
You guys have just presented me with a mod that my Vee does not yet have. This is wonderful news.
Thanks for the suggestion and for the link too.
I gotta' read-up on this simple and affordable up-grade.
Thanks crew!
-Ej-
Old 12-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

I did the mosfet RR but it didn't work.They said I hooked it ip backwards ( I didn't ).So anyway I put the stock one back on and it's been on for 40,000 miles.
I have a mosfett on my GS500 and it works great !!.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:21 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStrom View Post
I did the mosfet RR but it didn't work.They said I hooked it ip backwards ( I didn't ).So anyway I put the stock one back on and it's been on for 40,000 miles.
I have a mosfett on my GS500 and it works great !!.
Off topic but...
Everything about a GS500 is great.
Price,
Reliability,
Track manners,
Fuel economy,
Fun factor.
I've owned an "F" bike previously and If I come across one at the right price I'll probably get myself an 'E' model in the future.

BTW: Where's the link to the MosFet discussion?
-Ej-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buy , dl1000 , surging , test ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.