Can it go faster at low revs? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Can it go faster at low revs?

Just wondering about my KLV. There's plenty of torque from 3500 revs and up (16/43 gearing,secondaries removed, GiPro Atre derestrictor, Pipercross air filter) but at low revs , it just does'nt feel as crisp as a 1000cc motor. Is sth wrong with the periferals (air filter perhaps?) or should I check the mixture?
Or is everyone's like this, and I should forget it, and get a busa?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Get a Busa.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Moderator++

The DL1000 is not a high horsepower example of a liter bike. It isn't available on a dyno site I have but the SV1000 is which has a bit more power than the DL1000. Compare the SV1000 with the GSXR1000. The DL1000 will top out at a little below 100hp.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memos View Post
Just wondering about my KLV. There's plenty of torque from 3500 revs and up (16/43 gearing,secondaries removed, GiPro Atre derestrictor, Pipercross air filter) but at low revs , it just does'nt feel as crisp as a 1000cc motor. Is sth wrong with the periferals (air filter perhaps?) or should I check the mixture?
Or is everyone's like this, and I should forget it, and get a busa?
Crisp compared to what 1000cc engine? A 4 cylinder sport bike engine? Only Ducati is getting 4 cylinder like hp out of a twin engine.

Adjusting the air/fuel mixture will make the bike run as well as it is capable of which is worth the additional cost in my opinion, but you won't get much more hp out of this engine if that what you are looking for.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hp is not what I am after. At low revs it is torque that runs the show. After all, we are talking about the same engine that the TL1000r had, and that gave Ducati a run for it's money! I know it is tamer, and more linear in the Vee, but is it possible to liven it up by fitting TL parts? Mabye camshafts and E/U?
I really like this bike, and having owned two Aprilia Tuonos, two Blackbirds and a busa , my only "problem" is low down acceleration.
I thought about getting sth else, but I will miss everything that's good about the Vee (a lot that is).
So, if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Power commander?????
Old 11-22-2012, 02:31 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memos View Post
Hp is not what I am after. At low revs it is torque that runs the show. After all, we are talking about the same engine that the TL1000r had, and that gave Ducati a run for it's money! I know it is tamer, and more linear in the Vee, but is it possible to liven it up by fitting TL parts? Mabye camshafts and E/U?
I really like this bike, and having owned two Aprilia Tuonos, two Blackbirds and a busa , my only "problem" is low down acceleration.
I thought about getting sth else, but I will miss everything that's good about the Vee (a lot that is).
So, if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Power commander?????
All I know is that throwing sport bike hard parts on the Vee would only shift the power curve up and reduce the low register torque.

Custom cams tuned like a big block Ford would be the only solution and seriously pointless from a money perspective.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:11 AM
$tromtrooper

Remember the tre in the ecu has the power restricted in every gear except 4th

I used the vsri plan tre eliminator. My Vee will power wheelie in 1st and if planned in 2nd. It is also rumored that 6th gear evokes a special economy map which you also lose.

ECU remapping will richen the lower throttle openings, this will help the snap of the throttle.

The secondaries (complete miss nomer) are there do restrict how quickly the throttle can be opened which deliberately limits fast reaction to throttle opening.

I am with the government I'm here to help.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:20 AM
$tromtrooper

Interesting question.
As the resident technical neophyte here I have been taught that an anemic low end (especially for a V twin) was merely just another one of the DL1000's many negative quirks.
Not a lot of speed, not a lot of power, but does the job it was meant to do.

I consider the Vee more of a pick-up truck than a sports car. No?
Old 11-22-2012, 07:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

How can the ECU be remapped? Power Commander, Yoshi Box, or otherwise?
Having the secondaries removed, my guess is that just by giving some more gas at low revs, mabye I'll get some improvement. Or a lot of misfire at the cans........
Old 11-22-2012, 09:18 AM
$tromtrooper

Default The "V" rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
Interesting question.
As the resident technical neophyte here I have been taught that an anemic low end (especially for a V twin) was merely just another one of the DL1000's many negative quirks.
Not a lot of speed, not a lot of power, but does the job it was meant to do.

I consider the Vee more of a pick-up truck than a sports car. No?
In a word: "No!" Don't be confused--The "V" engine rocks. It can be all things to all people--as long as sluggards don't attempt to lug it. As with most engines, except diesels, they don't fare well when trying to make make power down low. The "V" sings from 4500 to 9500 rpm, which, in my book, is a terrific power band for a bullet-proof engine. Is it perfect? No, but pretty close to it in a rugged and wonderful way. This blog is full of nit-pickers (kibitzers and criers) who love to whine at the slightest hesitation or unHonda-like hiccup. The "V" has character in spades and owning two of them for a total of 70,000 miles including two trips to the Arctic has been an absolute blast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement