Yep ( and don't shoot ) another tire question - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

I will get my reply in before the nazis move this. I have run 3 sets of Tourance and am about to mount my second set of Anakee 2s.

Tourance - good wear in rear but they get a pronounced flat spot when worn. This flat area looks goofy and can be felt in the handling as your intiate a lean to turn. Every front Tourance also wore well but cupped and by 5,000 miles shook the head of the bike badly. Rears good for about 10,000 miles fronts about 20,000 on almost entirely secondary road asphalt. The rear tread grooves were very tightly spaced and look more road tire(ish) to me.

Next Anakee 2 - these just plain look more aggressive to me, front and rear. They make more noise that the Ts. They turn in better and faster than the Ts. They grip equally as well. The fronts cup less and produce very little head shake. So far I would guess about a 10% reduction in tread life for both ends (f about 18,000 r about 9,000). However, the rear Anakee has worn more rounded than flat and my riding has not changed.

Both were v rated. Next set of Anakees, Im trying H's for hope fullybetter wear.

And lastly to the road tire fans. Like an SUV, I consider my Vstrom in the same vehicle catergory. I hate the "look" of a road tire on my strom as much as my 4runner. And both seldom see anything but pavement...but certainly could. So like a narcositic weight lifter, I cut the sleves of the stroms tee shirt and lets its muscles show.......other opinions will surely vary.
2002 White HD Road King Police (divorced)
2000 Red Honda XR 400r
2003 Green Honda Rincon 650 ATV

If it is not broken, it can still be fixed

Last edited by Scott E. Bonds; 11-20-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromburger View Post
For pure road, Pilot Road 3's are the cats pajamas. Will they serve you well on your off road portion...I haven't a clue. You need advice from someone else.
The original Tourance is a high quality tire that you can't go wrong with. Good for just about everything.
you had me at "cats pajamas"

I'm just picturing some adorable kitten in a tacky outfit of sorts... wait, what's this thread about?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Somewhere in the Smokies and sometimes in Costa Rica

I could have a pretty wild imagination with the " adorable kitten " quip. Thanks for the all of the input, I am leannig towards trying a set of Anakee 2

K7 DL 1000
94 CB 1000 "Big One"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 PM
$tromtrooper

Default You are kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZDon View Post
I'd agree with the Tourances for lasting power, but not the noisy, rumbly Heidenaus for pavement distance. With that said, I have 21000 kms on a set of stock TrailWings, and they are just ready for replacement.
I'm sorry but ... I think you need to re-calculate something--there's no way you have 21,000 klms on a rear Trailwing unless you weigh 110 lbs; carry nothing but groceries on your machine; never accelerate; keep it under 80 klms/hr or are on a 20 degree lean at all times.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

he probably got the great mileage by riding on ice and snow,, low friction =low wear !
Old 11-21-2012, 12:57 PM
$tromtrooper

Well, I've had a few very low mileage years in a row. I probably should have replaced the TW's last year, as the rear, especially, could be used to pave driveways now with the squaring off. But it's true, they've done just under 21K kms. They're the originals, and they've worked fine, and I am of average height and weight, and with the three hard cases on there is probably 200kgs of bike and rider rolling.
'04 650, and goshdarnit it's fun - matte silver (#9 in the Silver 'Strom Club)
farewell to an '81 KZ550, '83 GPz750, '83 V45 Sabre, R-Reg GT380, '84 GPz550, early '70s DT175, and a '72 Peugeot 102
Old 11-21-2012, 11:12 PM
$tromtrooper

Default An apology

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZDon View Post
Well, I've had a few very low mileage years in a row. I probably should have replaced the TW's last year, as the rear, especially, could be used to pave driveways now with the squaring off. But it's true, they've done just under 21K kms. They're the originals, and they've worked fine, and I am of average height and weight, and with the three hard cases on there is probably 200kgs of bike and rider rolling.
Sorry for doubting you, plus I failed to notice you're on a Wee not a Vee which would explain the discrepancy.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:58 AM
$tromtrooper

I have always said

If you can't afford good tires you can't afford to ride

It ugly but I guess I would have to figure where and about when I was at 6000 miles and have a set at a dealer paid and waiting. Just cost of doing business, yes there will probably be tread left.

Once committed you can just ride and enjoy with at least this factor off of your mind.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I notice a negligible difference between tires on dry dirt and gravel roads. Now mud and sand and other slick surfaces are a different story. But I would buy whatever tire you typically like unless you are going to be on some really muddy roads. The only reason I might hedge toward something like a Tourance or Anakee would be that given the length of your trip who knows what weather you'll hit while on the offroad sections. So if it is possible those mild forest roads may turn into a soupy mess, maybe a more aggressive tire would be worth it.

My bike came with Conti Road Attacks and they're OK. But the front has a funny wear pattern (I'm pretty good about air pressure, but they already were wearing funny) and the rear slips a bit more than I think it should. They're the only tires I've had on the Vee, so it is hard to judge. So when it comes time to replace them, I'll go with Pilot Road 2 or 3s. I occasionally take the Vee on dirt and gravel roads and I'm comfortable a street tire will take me anywhere I would be brave enough to take the Vee.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I have a DL1000 and do 100% paved roads, with about 80% freeway. I don't accelerate very hard and seldom very hard on the tires. My riding has remained the same over all the tires. Here is what I have gotten over the years:

8,800 miles Original Trailwing
9,500 miles Metz Tourance
8,500 miles Shinko 705
11,100 miles Mich Pilot Road 2
7,000 miles Pirelli Angel ST *Current tire on the bike. Appears I should easily get 10 or 11K miles off this tire.

I loved the Pilot Road 2 and had planned to buy another one. But Motorcycle Superstore had a great sale going on the Angel ST, so I took the $20 savings and ran with it. I like the Angel ST, but felt like the handling was probably a little better on the Pilot Road as the tire aged.

If you absolutely must have long life, nothing compares to the Metz. 880. Though some say it doesn't handle as well as some of the others because of the hard rubber compound. Everything is a tradeoff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement