DL1000 Chain Question (ordering question) - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 PM
$tromtrooper

Default DL1000 Chain Question (ordering question)

After a couple of hours scouring through the opinions of many, I'm about to order the DL1000 530 Chain and Sprocket Combination from SVRacing.

My question is, do I need to get the extra master links offered, and if so, which one? The clip on, the rivit on, or the screw on??? Most say it can save you in a jam to have the spare, but then...what special tool would I need to save my own arse should said spare be utilized?

Im new to chains and somewhat new to the forums. I truly appreciate your help/input.

Thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

I ordered the 525 stock chain set up with stock ratio sprockets. I prefer the press rivet set up so I ordered that type master link and bought 2. That way I had a spare if I screwed up on attempt 1 to rivet. Now that I am ready to replace my setup again, I have a spare master since the rivet process went just fine last time around.

So, if its your first try I would buy 2 master links. As for carrying a spare on the bike, you would need the rivet tool also. I have never had a rivet fail or the need to replace a chain on the road. My spare stays in the home tool box. You do realize the rivet type chain takes a special installation tool to break the old chain and rivet the new master link. Its an easy process if you watch the little parts and read the instructions.
2002 White HD Road King Police (divorced)
2000 Red Honda XR 400r
2003 Green Honda Rincon 650 ATV

If it is not broken, it can still be fixed

Last edited by Scott E. Bonds; 11-15-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-15-2012, 03:56 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott E. Bonds View Post
I ordered the 525 stock chain set up with stock ratio sprockets. I prefer the press rivet set up so I ordered that type master link and bought 2. That way I had a spare if I screwed up on attempt 1 to rivet. Now that I am ready to replace my setup again, I have a spare master since the rivet process went just fine last time around.

So, if its your first try I would buy 2 master links. As for carrying a spare on the bike, you would need the rivet tool also. I have never had a rivet fail or the need to replace a chain on the road. My spare stays in the home tool box. You do realize the rivet type chain takes a special installation tool to break the old chain and rivet the new master link. Its an easy process if you watch the little parts and read the instructions.
Thanks Scott. Torn between the 530 or the 525, both come with one rivit master link, so I'm going with ordering one extra. I got 30k out of my stock chain & sprockets. Not sure how or why. Wondering if it's worth the $40 for the 530 setup. I'm doubting it. I must have gotten lucky with the stock chain & sprockets. The sprockets still look fine, but I know the chain is ready for replacement.

As for installation, I'm too busy to deal with it right now. It's going into the local Ducati shop here in Pensacola. I hear nothing but solid things about them, and they service everything. They'll do the chain too. It'll cost me $100 for them to install it; it'll cost me $100 for the tool, plus time I don't have right now (plus -20 points for cursing, I'm sure). Thanks for your input.

Last edited by shawnubis; 11-15-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Some more info. The Vee gets a lot of buildup around the counter sprocket area under the cover from chain lube. Your push rod for the hydraulic clutch goes through there also. If the Ducati guy pulls the cover and cleans and inspects everything properly, than the price is a bargain as it takes an hour or two. I assume he will since you are changing sprockets.

The 530 is stronger but may not last any longer. The hp output of a vee is around 100 so the 525 is plenty strong. The stock set up wears very well so do not expect much if any extra from the SV version...which I also purchased myself in 525.

Your choice, but I figured the 525 did fine, so did replacement number 1. All went about 30,000 miles with only quality chain lube and no chain cleaning at all.

Good luck.

P.S. - by stock I meant OEM size and ratio. My second set were steel of some unknown/forgotten brand, my last set came from SV also, good service, good product, and a forum brother.
2002 White HD Road King Police (divorced)
2000 Red Honda XR 400r
2003 Green Honda Rincon 650 ATV

If it is not broken, it can still be fixed

Last edited by Scott E. Bonds; 11-15-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Don't forget to change the rubbers in the cush drive hub. Mine were so worn you could wiggle the sprocket back and forth in place which probably did nothing for chain life. You will also want to check the sprocket carrier bearing, probably replacing it and the dust seal.
Mod list - Oxford heated overgrips. Garmin GPS w/Aquabox RAM mount. Mirror extenders. Givi V35 saddlebags, engine guards, and Kappa top box. Adventure Tech fork brace, wheel spacer, sidestand foot, and peg lowering kit. Gafler braided front brake & clutch lines. K&N air filter. Pyramid Fenda Extenda. GO Cruise throttle lock. Touratech folding shift lever. Rad guard. GSXR 4 piston brakes with SV Racing brackets. Yosh timing cover. SW Motech center stand and crossbar. Eastern Beaver headlight relay. 12 O'Clock Labs Speedo DRD. Werks clutch basket. Corbin seat.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I got 30k out of my stock chain & sprockets. Not sure how or why. Wondering if it's worth the $40 for the 530 setup.
If you intend to own this bike for the full life of the new chain, the 530 will live longer and save you money.

Good advice from the postings above about cleaning and checking the rubber dampers and carrier bearing. I clean around the front sprocket every oil change. It only takes a few minutes, keeping things clean is always good, and it is a good chance to take a look at potential trouble spots before they leave me stranded. I'm already dirty and have tools out, so it is little extra work. (Deep 8mm socket on an extension is the only extra tool I need on my Wee for the cover and a 10 mm for the Wee clutch helix gizmo if I clean that.)

America’s infrastructure is now so wretched that, in some areas, the only people who drive straight are the drunks.
Anyone who is sober swerves to avoid potholes.
--Nicholas Kristoff

Crossing the double yellow is a free squish. Don't give people the opportunity to squish you for free. They'll take it.
--Some wise member of ADVRider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement