Regulators/rectifier - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default Regulators/rectifier

I have a DL 1000 K6 that has been a stunning ride and trouble free until Saturday when I had to be recovered. The Battery died and I was told it was the r/r. I've charged the battery and tested it out all ok but no charge is going in to the battery. A new r/r is 180.00 but how can I be sure that's the problem before I buy one. How do I check the power going into the r/r???
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Moderator++

The R/R is rarely the problem. It's usually the stator and loose magnets on the rotor are becoming a problem as bikes age. There are three output wires from the stator to the R/R. Check the AC voltage on them. The voltage @5000rpm should exceed 75VAC on any two of the three wires.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just to note; When you go to purchase whatever new parts you need- Go STOCK!! I got cheap on my last bike and replaces the stator and R/R with aftermarket parts and the troubles were not worth the savings. I honestly believe too, that the OEM parts perform better than others (At least the Cheaper ones that claim better output). Biggest difference, is the Stock oem parts will install just like what comes out instead of you having to rigg or retrofit stuff.. Just my two cents- and a little ranting..

Next time I'll put some effort into my username. This one sounds like a toilet Bowl cleaner or Treadmill, or..
Old 11-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

i have not read a single case where the mosfet r/r has failed. plenty on the aftermarket stators. so, in the unlikely event that you have to change your r/r, go with the mosfet.

http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen%...rade%20kit.htm
Old 11-13-2012, 06:57 PM
$tromtrooper

Open the left side look for moving magnets on the rotor

Look at stator winding for brown/burnt parts.

Moving magnets usually give some juice just not enough to keep the battery charged.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee View Post
i have not read a single case where the mosfet r/r has failed. plenty on the aftermarket stators. so, in the unlikely event that you have to change your r/r, go with the mosfet.

http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen%...rade%20kit.htm

Roger that on the Mosfet. I changed mine when my OEM stator went tits up. 14V @ idle with all the $hit lit. 14.5V @ anything above idle.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
Old 11-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

Have not tried the Mosfet but good to know for future reference. I tried Electrosport or something like that on an old bike- nut Suzu and it was a PIA and didn't put out the Voltage as stated.. Told myself after that no more aftermarkets just OEM from there on.. You Mosfet braggers may have twisted my arm..

Next time I'll put some effort into my username. This one sounds like a toilet Bowl cleaner or Treadmill, or..
Old 11-14-2012, 03:54 PM
$tromtrooper

My broken record is that it is a balanced system and a "GOOD" battery is part of it along with high oil levels for cooling
Old 11-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks for all the help I've now checked the stator and although the ohm readings are good, one phase is only producing 6 volts at 5000rpm while the other two are good at 75 volts,I ordered a new stator and gasket today 250.00 ouch, I've read a lot of forums and they mention the magnets coming loose, but I don't want to open anything up until I get the new stator are I don't have much room to work, but I'll keep you posted
Old 11-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

That's an expensive PIA but at least you found the source of the problem. Now you can fix 'er up and get back on the slab w/out worries

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.