Regulators/rectifier - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

The stator had a burnt out coil, it's now been replaced and I've got 14.9 volts on the battery from cold, so everything is looking good..........but the rotor magnets have moved, there not loose but there must be a glue issue because you can see where they used to be and now there is only one big gap on one side and all the others are tight together. So now it's the chicken and egg thing, did the rotor cause the stator to burn out or it it ok for all the magnets to be together. I'm off to the Suzuki main dealer because this is a manufacturing issue to see if I can get then to replace the rotor, I'm not holding my breath but wish me luck
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Moderator++

The magnetic attraction is what is holding the magnets on. They have been successfully re-glued with slow setting, high temperature JB-Weld epoxy. The problem was almost never heard of before but now is all too common. See and take the poll at Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums - View Poll Results
Maybe it will help your case. Also see A poll on charging system problems. Yes/No and what bike?

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyjohn View Post
The stator had a burnt out coil, it's now been replaced and I've got 14.9 volts on the battery from cold, so everything is looking good..........but the rotor magnets have moved, there not loose but there must be a glue issue because you can see where they used to be and now there is only one big gap on one side and all the others are tight together. So now it's the chicken and egg thing, did the rotor cause the stator to burn out or it it ok for all the magnets to be together. I'm off to the Suzuki main dealer because this is a manufacturing issue to see if I can get then to replace the rotor, I'm not holding my breath but wish me luck
I am no Electrical Engineer, didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express before writing this ( US joke for those across the pond...) but I have said before that there could be a connection here. It seems too many stators are bad and when the owners tears it down to inspect, the magnets have moved. Which came first? Are there power pulses from the magnets being out of place that might overload the wiring in the stator? Over time causing it to fail? If nothing else I know from experience that the magnets being displaced causes a slight vibration in the engine.

I would like to have a rotor that has the displaced magnets to work on. If anyone has one let me know if they might part with it. From that maybe a write-up on the process for refitting the magnets. I know it has been done, a couple of the efforts were very crude but they seemed to work.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com
Old 11-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

You are making an important point. Electricity is generated when a conductor (coil of wire of the stator in our case) passes a magnetic field (permanent magnets in our case) (or the rotating magnetic field passes the stationary coil of wire, electrically the same thing). If the magnets are out of position it might set up electrical pulsing in the windings that can cause movement resulting in chafing and other damage which rubs through the insulating varnish on the copper wire and causes a short circuit, or it might be something else, but the magnets definitely need to be evenly spaced.

America’s infrastructure is now so wretched that, in some areas, the only people who drive straight are the drunks.
Anyone who is sober swerves to avoid potholes.
--Nicholas Kristoff

Crossing the double yellow is a free squish. Don't give people the opportunity to squish you for free. They'll take it.
--Some wise member of ADVRider
Old 12-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I called in my local Suzuki dealer and strangely enough they had never heard of this problem before in fact they said it couldn't happen until I showed them the photographs ha ha. They wanted £320.00 for a new rotor with no known upgrade. So I ordered the JB weld off e bay for £5.00 and set about cleaning and glueing I stuck three in place with spacers fitted until it cured,then set about the other three. As it was quite cold I left it for two days to set, bolted it all back together on Saturday and went out for three hours with no probs. I've got 13.6 volts from cold with the main beam on. In hindsight I had a slight vibration which started a few months ago and the vision in the left hand rear mirror was quite blurred at speed which has now gone. If I had spent £15.00 on a new gasket then I could have saved £250.00, so if anyone has any vibration check the magnets first.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyjohn View Post
In hindsight I had a slight vibration which started a few months ago and the vision in the left hand rear mirror was quite blurred at speed which has now gone. If I had spent £15.00 on a new gasket then I could have saved £250.00, so if anyone has any vibration check the magnets first.
Glad things seem to be working right now. I haven't made too much of the vibration you mentioned. My Vee was down for many weeks while I was converting it to external alternator. I installed a new rotor when it was down even though I was not using the factory stator. When I first rode it I was pretty sure it was smoother, but with that much time in between it is hard to be positive. You seem to verify it is smoother, and I know a couple SV riders that have now said the same. Still don't want to say the magnets are a reason the stator might fail. I would say that if you have a bit of downtime for weather, it might be a VERY good piece of preventive maintenance to pull the cover and check the magnets!

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com

Last edited by realshelby; 12-03-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:06 PM
$tromtrooper

Load is the same

Voltage is down

Amperes go up

Higher amps more heat
Old 12-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
. My Vee was down for many weeks while I was converting it to external alternator.
I'd love to know the general process and plan of attack you took to pull this off???? Any pictures you have would be a cool little perk as well

Next time I'll put some effort into my username. This one sounds like a toilet Bowl cleaner or Treadmill, or..
Old 12-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Moderator++

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1000 View Post
I'd love to know the general process and plan of attack you took to pull this off???? Any pictures you have would be a cool little perk as well
Covered at Worlds most powerful v-strom!

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Old 12-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

My bike does seem to vibrate now more than before but it has 50,000 miles now.I fried a stator at about 13,000 miles and I checked my magnets atleast 10 times around 40,000 miles or so( had a charging issue,Realshelby helped me with that).
So when it go's in the shed for it's
" get ready for Deadhorse" work I will check them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement