Attention EE Guys! Voltage Divider - Yosh Box thingamagig - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Attention EE Guys! Voltage Divider - Yosh Box thingamagig

So my DIY Yosh Box Idle Circuit thing works great. But, I want to decrease the effectiveness of the adjustment knob.

Here is the original voltage divider.

5v comes in and the pot varies the output from 0v to 5v.

Our range of adjustment for just fixing the idle should be somewhere between 2v & 3v.

Here is a picture of what I am thinking might help me in my predicament.

I read that adding resistors to the circuit can help step up the voltage on the bottom side creates a floor voltage and a resistor on the other side can create a ceiling voltage.

Am I right? If so, how do I determine what values I need to get there? FYI, the pot is a 10K linear job.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 11:02 AM
$tromtrooper

FIRE BAD !!!

Is this between temp sensor and ECU ?

Circuit one picture bad looks like a dead short which would be bad JUJU
Once you let out the magic smoke it stops working
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw View Post
FIRE BAD !!!

Is this between temp sensor and ECU ?

Circuit one picture bad looks like a dead short which would be bad JUJU
Once you let out the magic smoke it stops working
LOL!!!!

No, this is for my Yosh Box thing that I made. Remember this thread? http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-...tml#post756478

Just trying to get some input on my adjustment pot.

No fires Rich, promise!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallnoise View Post
So my DIY Yosh Box Idle Circuit thing works great. But, I want to decrease the effectiveness of the adjustment knob.

5v comes in and the pot varies the output from 0v to 5v.

Our range of adjustment for just fixing the idle should be somewhere between 2v & 3v.

Here is a picture of what I am thinking might help me in my predicament.

I read that adding resistors to the circuit can help step up the voltage on the bottom side creates a floor voltage and a resistor on the other side can create a ceiling voltage.

Am I right? If so, how do I determine what values I need to get there? FYI, the pot is a 10K linear job.

Thanks in advance!
So I assume you want to reduce the voltage range of the pot so that it swings from 2V to 3V? There are multiple ways to do this and some are more accurate than others. Here is one approach you could you use. Put three 1N4148 diodes in series to drop the voltage from 5V to about 3V. Feed the cathode of the 3rd diode to a voltage divider circuit. The voltage divider circuit would consist of a 1K resistor coming from the 3V you created from the diodes then to your 10K pot, then to a 1.5K resistor to ground.

This will give about a 1.93V to 3.15V voltage swing range on the output.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahAboutThat View Post
So I assume you want to reduce the voltage range of the pot so that it swings from 2V to 3V? There are multiple ways to do this and some are more accurate than others. Here is one approach you could you use. Put three 1N4148 diodes in series to drop the voltage from 5V to about 3V. Feed the cathode of the 3rd diode to a voltage divider circuit. The voltage divider circuit would consist of a 1K resistor coming from the 3V you created from the diodes then to your 10K pot, then to a 1.5K resistor to ground.

This will give about a 1.93V to 3.15V voltage swing range on the output.
Absolutely perfect!!! This is exactly what I was looking for.

I will run to the Shack tomorrow and see if I can get this done. I also need to solder in my silly test leads so I can have that permanently attached and have a multimeter running side by side to test that voltage.

AND THANK YOU!!!

Last edited by marshallnoise; 11-10-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement