03 Vee cold start issue? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default 03 Vee cold start issue?

My 03 Vee has had the secondary removed has a PC III and has. Een dyno tuned and runs great. The problem I have is recently on cold starts it starts hard and does not idle up like it isn't getting the proper enrichening like it should when cold. Does anyone know what might be causing this?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

You may simply need to adjust the idle speed. There's an easy-to-reach idle speed screw because the Vee's FI system doesn't do this for you as temperatures change -- fuel-injected cars have an IAC (idle air control) valve that manages idle speed, but on the Vee it's up to you.

You also might need to adjust the TPS (throttle position sensor).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:18 AM

If it has the idle screw mounted on the left side just below the gas tank, you can turn it clockwise about a full turn before starting and let it warm up at an idle speed of about 1,800. As it warms up, the idle speed should begin to creep upwards. Once you are ready to ride, turn the screw counterclockwise to the idle speed you want and you should be good to go.
'94 Yamaha 125 scooter
'05 Vespa E4 scooter
'68 Vespa VBB scooter (restored)
'06 Wee
'03 Honda S2000 roadster
Old 11-09-2012, 04:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks, I'll check the TPS and the idle adjustment is fine and I should not have to mess with that. I'm guessing the ECU richens the fuel mixture on cold start which it is not doing because on cold starting it it starts and stalls a few times before it will stay running. Turning the idle screw before starting every time is something I don't want to have to do and IMHO is just a band aid not a correct fix for the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
01 KTM LC4 640 E ( keeping it, way better than the KLR )
Old 11-09-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mountain View Post
Thanks, I'll check the TPS and the idle adjustment is fine and I should not have to mess with that. I'm guessing the ECU richens the fuel mixture on cold start which it is not doing because on cold starting it it starts and stalls a few times before it will stay running. Turning the idle screw before starting every time is something I don't want to have to do and IMHO is just a band aid not a correct fix for the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Yep. Turning a screw is WAY too much effort.
'94 Yamaha 125 scooter
'05 Vespa E4 scooter
'68 Vespa VBB scooter (restored)
'06 Wee
'03 Honda S2000 roadster
Old 11-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Moderator++

There is a cold(fast) idle speed spec of about 1800rpm and a hot idle speed of 1100-1300rpm depending on the idle adjusting screw position. There should be no need to change the idle manually in cooler weather. If the bike doesn't do it by itself, the cold idle adjustment is off. FAQ: DL1000 Fast Idle Adjustment & Operation

Old 11-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
There is a cold(fast) idle speed spec of about 1800rpm and a hot idle speed of 1100-1300rpm depending on the idle adjusting screw position. There should be no need to change the idle manually in cooler weather. If the bike doesn't do it by itself, the cold idle adjustment is off. FAQ: DL1000 Fast Idle Adjustment & Operation
Bingo! Out of necessity or lack of gadgetry you can also adjust it per the manual specs of cold start rpm's in relation to ambient temperature (there is a chart somewhere in the manual) RPM's upon a cold start vary with regards to temperature. On a cold engine, the tank needs to be lifted and you only have a few seconds to adjust the screw on the TB to reach the correct RPM's upon starting, but it can done if necessary. Not perfect but close enough. If you fail in the first few seconds however, you must wait until everything is cold again before re attempting.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I'm not having any idle problems at all , but this thread and greywolf's link are both great reading and it's always good to have a bit of extra knowledge .
Old 11-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boit4852 View Post
Yep. Turning a screw is WAY too much effort.
Did you miss the part where I stated that I wish to fix the problem, not put a band aid on it.
BTW turning the idle up does NOT help with cold starting
But thank you so much for ALL your help and excellent advice
Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

check sensors

if the engine "thinks" is already warm, it won't fast idle
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
[URL="www.gbhsurvey.com"]www.gbhsurvey.com[/URL]
[IMG]http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/xv920r/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement