Advice for a hard launch - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 12:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Advice for a hard launch

I have a question for those who drag race their Stroms. I'm thinking of going to the track next week, and I'd like some help on my launches. I ran against a Glee the other day and, much to my chagrin, was left behind on the launch (granted, I also gave up about 200 lbs to him- his bike was stock, my 1k has beefy crash guards/skidplate/center stand/luggage rack/top box with ~25 lbs of stuff in it, plus I outweigh him by about 80 lbs). Were it a longer race, I would have reeled him in, but we were just racing up to 60 ish, and there really wasn't anything between us.

I'll openly admit that I don't drag launch my bike and I never have. I used to drag my car, but that was years ago and I was probably a lot slower than I think I was. What's the best way to launch this bike? I'd like to get a decent 60 ft time (less than 2 seconds, I hope!) What can I do in order to accomplish this? Currently, my brain tells me to hold the revs at around 5k, slide up as far as possible, and then slip the clutch till it engages at around 4k. I am aware this is likely not the ideal way, hence my asking for help

Oh, and I'm running 16/43's, so power wheelies are also a bit of a concern, though I'm pretty sure with my weight that I can quell them effectively.

Thoughts?

"Purchasing a V-Strom from a Harley dealer does have poetic justice. Almost like removing a talented child from a meth house."
-ShortOnSkill

"I'm for moves that will help people get over the idea that it is ever okay to drink and drive."
-greywolf
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 12:56 AM
$tromtrooper

You are being serious?

2008 WR250R 2006 DL1000 "BRUTUS"

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

Yep. Buddy of mine can get me into the track for free, so why not?

"Purchasing a V-Strom from a Harley dealer does have poetic justice. Almost like removing a talented child from a meth house."
-ShortOnSkill

"I'm for moves that will help people get over the idea that it is ever okay to drink and drive."
-greywolf
Old 11-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I drag raced two different bikes back in the 70's. Both were my street bikes. Neither had the power the Vee has. Your problem will be keeping the front wheel down. I don't think you will want 5000 rpms! Drag racing is all about your 60 ft. times. I suspect you will do well with a 2-3K launch and feather in the clutch. Yes, slide up on the bike as far as is practical to keep the front down. Once you launch and as you feather the clutch out fight the urge to pin the throttle. You will just pull the front wheel up doing that. Roll the throttle on and if you find the front wheel is coming up to much after you are rolling good just shift to second gear. That will net a faster time than letting off in first and rolling the throttle back on. In fact with your gearing you may find "short shifting" into second gear works well.

Drag racing is NOT as easy as it looks! In cars or bikes. But you will have fun and don't try to over do it. Learn how to launch smoothly and then you can learn the little tricks to improve your times.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com
Old 11-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks! My 5k idea was mostly based upon reviews of sport bikes. I read how, in order to get the best launches, some of the 600's needed to be launched at 7-8k rpm to get them in their powerbands when the clutch finally grabbed, and the Vee's powerband starts at 4k.

-ShortOnSkill

-greywolf
Old 11-01-2012, 11:10 AM
$tromtrooper

Let us know what your times are when you do it.
PC-V, TRE, CR8EIX , ECM, K&N, RDL, PR4, PC-8, EB H4, WERKS, Madstad 22", Fork brace, 17/43 gearing, AdventureTech: shelf, mirror extenders, SpeedoDRD, wheel spacer, Head's-Up voltage monitor, Goldwing pegs, Sonic 1.1.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

Absolutely! Like I said, I'm not really expecting too much, as I won't take my engine guards/skidplate/centerstand off (I'll probably leave the trunk at home!) and I weigh in at a ballerina-esque 280. I just want to have some fun

-ShortOnSkill

-greywolf
Old 11-01-2012, 01:00 PM
$tromtrooper

Though it is brutal I think your original idea was correct to be IN the meat of the power band and control with the clutch

In the old days a tach was slower than a race motor and we APPEARED to short shift because the actual RPM was much higher than the dampened lagging tach

I also think a Glee is in a higher state of tune than a DL

If you are abusive a 2nd gear launch may actually yield quicker times and with TRE you only get full power in like 4th gear.

"Powershift here you go"

Last edited by richw; 11-01-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Wait, I thought it was the other way around? I thought the TRE tricked the bike into thinking it was in 4th at all times, thereby removing the power cuts in the other gears?

-ShortOnSkill

-greywolf
Old 11-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Wear plenty of armor and let us know how it held up after you crash when you get the infamous and often unrecoverable tank slapper that will happen when you hit 100+ mph. Rotsa ruk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement