Advice for a hard launch - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default mythical

You know when I first read the thread title I thought this might be a joke. Much like the mythical stolen strom. Since you are indeed serious, my advice is hold your rpm at about 2500 rpm and then feather it until you are over 5k. I'm not a drag racer but that it how I've got mine to launch fairly quick without bringing the front wheel up.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 09:56 AM
$tromtrooper

tre stands for timing retard something used to restrict power in some areas

The aftermarket device defeats the tre and yes lets it think it is in 4th full power gear

flamable inflamable
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

TRE stands for Timing Retard Eliminator The eliminator is the aftermarket thing I'm talking about.

[edit] I see the problem. I didn't specify that I HAVE a TRE attached to my bike (I thought that I had mentioned that). D'OH! [/edit]

"Purchasing a V-Strom from a Harley dealer does have poetic justice. Almost like removing a talented child from a meth house."
-ShortOnSkill

"I'm for moves that will help people get over the idea that it is ever okay to drink and drive."
-greywolf

Last edited by aTuWitty; 11-02-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut11 View Post
You know when I first read the thread title I thought this might be a joke. Much like the mythical stolen strom. Since you are indeed serious, my advice is hold your rpm at about 2500 rpm and then feather it until you are over 5k. I'm not a drag racer but that it how I've got mine to launch fairly quick without bringing the front wheel up.
It is indeed a mythical thing to drag race a Strom, but then, I also offroad the piss outta my Strom, and almost no one does that either. The best part is, my buddy takes his 05 Sprint ST almost everywhere I take my Strom, and I take my bike to some pretty gnarly places!

"Purchasing a V-Strom from a Harley dealer does have poetic justice. Almost like removing a talented child from a meth house."
-ShortOnSkill

"I'm for moves that will help people get over the idea that it is ever okay to drink and drive."
-greywolf
Old 11-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've got a buddy like that as well, except he rides an RF600. I keep trying to find the worst stuff possible just to see how far he is willing to go. So far he's only backed out when it's been very sandy or very rocky, and a cracked oil pan is what made him cautious about very rock terrain.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
I drag raced two different bikes back in the 70's. Both were my street bikes. Neither had the power the Vee has. Your problem will be keeping the front wheel down. I don't think you will want 5000 rpms! Drag racing is all about your 60 ft. times. I suspect you will do well with a 2-3K launch and feather in the clutch. Yes, slide up on the bike as far as is practical to keep the front down. Once you launch and as you feather the clutch out fight the urge to pin the throttle. You will just pull the front wheel up doing that. Roll the throttle on and if you find the front wheel is coming up to much after you are rolling good just shift to second gear. That will net a faster time than letting off in first and rolling the throttle back on. In fact with your gearing you may find "short shifting" into second gear works well.

Drag racing is NOT as easy as it looks! In cars or bikes. But you will have fun and don't try to over do it. Learn how to launch smoothly and then you can learn the little tricks to improve your times.
I've had best results getting just a bit of air in front ( less than 8") and just south of making the clutch "stink" on launch.
I would not advise this for a "daily driver" but you can leave a good bit harder.....
Using this, I got w/ bags, top box, etc. with My porkey 225 lb ass into the LOW 12's W/ well worn Anakee's.....
Old 11-03-2012, 04:28 PM
$tromtrooper

Other old Indian trick is to take a ratchet strap and use it to compress the forks for wheelie protection
Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 PM
$tromtrooper

As a motor head and a guy who plays hard a lot when I go out , I say have fun. It's your bike , on a closed track , and I'm sure you have already thought of potential " whoops" that can take place when pushing a piece of machinery. Looking forward to hearing the results.

Dan
Old 12-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSmythe View Post
Wear plenty of armor and let us know how it held up after you crash when you get the infamous and often unrecoverable tank slapper that will happen when you hit 100+ mph. Rotsa ruk.
If you have your bike set up correctly you won't ever get tank slappers unless you run something over. My vee will consistently go a little over 140 ( indicated) and not once have I felt it wobble. I also have original Tourance tires front and back and the forks lowered 3/4 inch in the triple tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 01-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

In one of the best launches in over 40 years of riding came on my Vee a couple years ago when I pulled up to the last redlight on Rt 100 eastbound, a half-3/4 mile straightaway in front of me.....and up comes the loudest Harley I'd ever heard...he pulls RIGHT behind me and continously rips the throttle as we wait for the light....Brraaat, Brraat....loud as all heck! Well, of course I figure my new friend wants to play and all he can see is the back of my black leather riding jacket and black helmet......and he can't see all my grey hair<LOL>.

Sure enough the light flips and with a admittedly nervous stomach, I let muscle memory take over from my road racing days when we used to start from a standing start position(and 500-750 two strokes)....I pop and GO, never using the clutch and the front wheel hovered 6-8"(Shelby's right about that) above the pavement from the start to midway through 3rd gear.....that Harley stayed on my six but he never even gained a foot....I heard that bike screaming in my ear and never seemed to change in pitch...in other words, he didn't gain, and he didn't fall back....we came to the main road where 100 merges to a 40mph Mountian road and I let off. He pulls along side and I can see he's riding a fully customized Screaming Eagle. He hollers over "What is that thing?" I replied "A touring bike, a Suzuki!". He waved, shook his head and pulled into the Exxon station........and I rode that 2 miles home with the biggest grin on my face. I'll bet he easily had 30K in that bike....and my 7500 otd Zuk just had him for lunch!! Life doesn't get any better.

The Vee has plenty of low torque.....that's what you need to get good times. Drop the hammer and go to the throttle stops and don't use the clutch going up and don't over rev, shift at your power point or a hair above to drop you into the next gear in the power....and you'll be fine.

jeff
Stock bikes: a purple '74 RD350 in great shape, '70 H1, '72 H1, 1975 GT550, ,original 1975 H2 750 triple (purple of course), 1976 CB400F Supersport. '73 CB350-given away Modified bikes: Fully ported 1974 H2 750(my go-fast), a scary fast '82 Yam 650Turbo running 18PSI, a '75 GT550 built up & ported. To-Restore list: '72 H1, 2-'75 H1's, Latest acquired: 1974 GT750 can't wait to replicate our old racebike of the 70's!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement