automatic chain lubrication - Page 4 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 Old 11-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Ranger Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sonoran Desert, Arizona
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteW View Post
Manual oiler, 250ml bottle, around 20,000km's/refill - and a whole lot less mess.

Pete
I have my electronic oiler set at one drip every 12 minutes. I'm using 85W-90 gear oil. With the gear oil, the chain stays wet with no fling-off. The reservoir for the oiler is a 1/2" (12.7mm) diameter tube 30" (76.2cm) long.

The oil level in the tube drops approximately 1" (25.4mm) per 1,000 miles (1,609 km). That gives me a range of 30,000 miles (48,280 km) between refills.

Ron
Ranger Ron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 43 Old 11-06-2012, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: mexico
Posts: 31
amazing,

but i think more drops is a good idea, the thing is that the oil serve 3 prepuse

first oiling the rings second take off dust and dirt third cooling the chain and sprockets,

but if you get 100k on you chain you probably doing the right thing
iyaronman is offline  
post #33 of 43 Old 11-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Ranger Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sonoran Desert, Arizona
Posts: 201
I replaced the original chain at about 26,000 miles. That's when I made the oiler. I only have about 5,000 miles on the new chain. I expect it to last about the same amount of miles as the previous chain.

The previous chain was always lubed, too, but I used a Scott Oiler. What a mess it made on the back of the bike.

The big advantage (at least for me) in using gear oil is that it doesn't fling off when used in moderate amounts and it noticeably cushions the chain/sprocket engagement.

Ron
Ranger Ron is offline  
post #34 of 43 Old 10-19-2014, 07:23 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Aichi prefecture, Central Japan.
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron View Post
I replaced the original chain at about 26,000 miles. That's when I made the oiler. I only have about 5,000 miles on the new chain. I expect it to last about the same amount of miles as the previous chain.

The previous chain was always lubed, too, but I used a Scott Oiler. What a mess it made on the back of the bike.

The big advantage (at least for me) in using gear oil is that it doesn't fling off when used in moderate amounts and it noticeably cushions the chain/sprocket engagement.

Ron
That's a great idea.
I have just been cleaning the chain with chain cleaner and oiling it with chain lube, manually, every 1,000 kilometres. Guy at the dealer said that was ideal. Surprised to read a Scott Oiler made a mess of the bike. One was recommended to me recently. Glad I have not bought one, thanks

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
2012 V-strom 650 (Japan model). Suzuki centre-stand. SW-Motech engine guards. Givi Monokey topbox-mount / Kappa 48L box. Suzuki knuckle guards. Suzuki grip heaters. 25mm lowering kit.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Fuel http://www.fuelly.com/driver/staninjapan/dl650
stan-in-japan is offline  
post #35 of 43 Old 10-19-2014, 07:27 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Aichi prefecture, Central Japan.
Posts: 52
What about chain cleaner, thoroughly cleaned off before lubing with a product like WD40 instead of the white chain lube spray I use, and then the WD40 (or similar) applied more frequently than chain lube, say every 2 or 3 hundred kilometres?

Thanks

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
2012 V-strom 650 (Japan model). Suzuki centre-stand. SW-Motech engine guards. Givi Monokey topbox-mount / Kappa 48L box. Suzuki knuckle guards. Suzuki grip heaters. 25mm lowering kit.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Fuel http://www.fuelly.com/driver/staninjapan/dl650
stan-in-japan is offline  
post #36 of 43 Old 10-19-2014, 09:02 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Voltar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Near enuf to Austin
Posts: 956
Ranger:

What valve did you use? Were you able drive it straight from the uC or did you use a MOSFET? Do you have a build page?
Looking at your replies from your original post (long ago) the pics are dead.

I will probably use an Arduino Nano since I have a few. I could use the PIC like you did, but I don't want to package the supporting minimum circuit. I'm thinking I could use one button and the Nano's already on board LED to change (and signal) delay times from, say, one drop every 5 to 30 mins to allow adjustment in the field.

The project is a snap once I 'steal' your BOM and mounting location.

Edit (a few hours later)....I found an 8-pin PIC left over in my project bag that I had already mounted to a PCB with the supporting minimum circuit. It's look lonely so I'm going PIC (not Ardunio). Still would like to see the your build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron View Post
I have my electronic oiler set at one drip every 12 minutes. I'm using 85W-90 gear oil. With the gear oil, the chain stays wet with no fling-off. The reservoir for the oiler is a 1/2" (12.7mm) diameter tube 30" (76.2cm) long.

The oil level in the tube drops approximately 1" (25.4mm) per 1,000 miles (1,609 km). That gives me a range of 30,000 miles (48,280 km) between refills.

Ron

See http://whiskeytangohotel.com/gpi
to build your own V-Strom GPI and save, save, save!

Last edited by Voltar; 10-19-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Voltar is offline  
post #37 of 43 Old 10-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Ranger Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sonoran Desert, Arizona
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltar View Post
Ranger:

What valve did you use? Were you able drive it straight from the uC or did you use a MOSFET? Do you have a build page?
Looking at your replies from your original post (long ago) the pics are dead.

I will probably use an Arduino Nano since I have a few. I could use the PIC like you did, but I don't want to package the supporting minimum circuit. I'm thinking I could use one button and the Nano's already on board LED to change (and signal) delay times from, say, one drop every 5 to 30 mins to allow adjustment in the field.

The project is a snap once I 'steal' your BOM and mounting location.

Edit (a few hours later)....I found an 8-pin PIC left over in my project bag that I had already mounted to a PCB with the supporting minimum circuit. It's look lonely so I'm going PIC (not Ardunio). Still would like to see the your build.
I got the solenoid from McMaster. (McMaster-Carr) It's nothing special, just 12V with with ports for 1/8" pipe. Here's the number: 7877K313. For some reason, they don't show the picture any more, but still have it listed as in stock.

I'm driving it with a lowly 2n2222A.

I left you a PM.

Ron
Ranger Ron is offline  
post #38 of 43 Old 10-20-2014, 03:40 PM
$tromtrooper
 
scootin1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Eagan, MN
Posts: 180
This stuff sounds cool, but on my 17 day 7000mi. road trip this summer I started w/a new chain & stock sprockets, started w/the chain set as snug as I dared & just shot it w/Chain Wax every night. At the end of the trip it was still easily within spec. & I never adjusted it.
scootin1000 is offline  
post #39 of 43 Old 10-20-2014, 10:27 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Kelly2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: So Cal.
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron View Post
I got the solenoid from McMaster. (McMaster-Carr) It's nothing special, just 12V with with ports for 1/8" pipe. Here's the number: 7877K313. For some reason, they don't show the picture any more, but still have it listed as in stock.

I'm driving it with a lowly 2n2222A.

I left you a PM.

Ron
I bought a GY6 scooter vacuum fuel switch. I wonder if it will seal with a thick oil?
Kelly2012 is offline  
post #40 of 43 Old 10-21-2014, 10:08 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Ranger Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sonoran Desert, Arizona
Posts: 201
Not sure what that is.

When I first made the oiler I used a solenoid I had on hand. It was made for air/gas, not liquid. It worked just fine, but ultimately started leaking. I guess it didn't like the 90 weight.

Ron
Ranger Ron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome