automatic chain lubrication - Page 4 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteW View Post
Manual oiler, 250ml bottle, around 20,000km's/refill - and a whole lot less mess.

Pete
I have my electronic oiler set at one drip every 12 minutes. I'm using 85W-90 gear oil. With the gear oil, the chain stays wet with no fling-off. The reservoir for the oiler is a 1/2" (12.7mm) diameter tube 30" (76.2cm) long.

The oil level in the tube drops approximately 1" (25.4mm) per 1,000 miles (1,609 km). That gives me a range of 30,000 miles (48,280 km) between refills.

Ron
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

amazing,

but i think more drops is a good idea, the thing is that the oil serve 3 prepuse

first oiling the rings second take off dust and dirt third cooling the chain and sprockets,

but if you get 100k on you chain you probably doing the right thing
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

I replaced the original chain at about 26,000 miles. That's when I made the oiler. I only have about 5,000 miles on the new chain. I expect it to last about the same amount of miles as the previous chain.

The previous chain was always lubed, too, but I used a Scott Oiler. What a mess it made on the back of the bike.

The big advantage (at least for me) in using gear oil is that it doesn't fling off when used in moderate amounts and it noticeably cushions the chain/sprocket engagement.

Ron
Old 10-19-2014, 07:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron View Post
I replaced the original chain at about 26,000 miles. That's when I made the oiler. I only have about 5,000 miles on the new chain. I expect it to last about the same amount of miles as the previous chain.

The previous chain was always lubed, too, but I used a Scott Oiler. What a mess it made on the back of the bike.

The big advantage (at least for me) in using gear oil is that it doesn't fling off when used in moderate amounts and it noticeably cushions the chain/sprocket engagement.

Ron
That's a great idea.
I have just been cleaning the chain with chain cleaner and oiling it with chain lube, manually, every 1,000 kilometres. Guy at the dealer said that was ideal. Surprised to read a Scott Oiler made a mess of the bike. One was recommended to me recently. Glad I have not bought one, thanks
Fuel http://www.fuelly.com/driver/staninjapan/dl650
Old 10-19-2014, 07:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

What about chain cleaner, thoroughly cleaned off before lubing with a product like WD40 instead of the white chain lube spray I use, and then the WD40 (or similar) applied more frequently than chain lube, say every 2 or 3 hundred kilometres?

Thanks
Fuel http://www.fuelly.com/driver/staninjapan/dl650
Old 10-19-2014, 09:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

Ranger:

What valve did you use? Were you able drive it straight from the uC or did you use a MOSFET? Do you have a build page?
Looking at your replies from your original post (long ago) the pics are dead.

I will probably use an Arduino Nano since I have a few. I could use the PIC like you did, but I don't want to package the supporting minimum circuit. I'm thinking I could use one button and the Nano's already on board LED to change (and signal) delay times from, say, one drop every 5 to 30 mins to allow adjustment in the field.

The project is a snap once I 'steal' your BOM and mounting location.

Edit (a few hours later)....I found an 8-pin PIC left over in my project bag that I had already mounted to a PCB with the supporting minimum circuit. It's look lonely so I'm going PIC (not Ardunio). Still would like to see the your build.

Quote:
I have my electronic oiler set at one drip every 12 minutes. I'm using 85W-90 gear oil. With the gear oil, the chain stays wet with no fling-off. The reservoir for the oiler is a 1/2" (12.7mm) diameter tube 30" (76.2cm) long.

The oil level in the tube drops approximately 1" (25.4mm) per 1,000 miles (1,609 km). That gives me a range of 30,000 miles (48,280 km) between refills.

Ron

Last edited by Voltar; 10-19-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltar View Post
Ranger:

What valve did you use? Were you able drive it straight from the uC or did you use a MOSFET? Do you have a build page?
Looking at your replies from your original post (long ago) the pics are dead.

I will probably use an Arduino Nano since I have a few. I could use the PIC like you did, but I don't want to package the supporting minimum circuit. I'm thinking I could use one button and the Nano's already on board LED to change (and signal) delay times from, say, one drop every 5 to 30 mins to allow adjustment in the field.

The project is a snap once I 'steal' your BOM and mounting location.

Edit (a few hours later)....I found an 8-pin PIC left over in my project bag that I had already mounted to a PCB with the supporting minimum circuit. It's look lonely so I'm going PIC (not Ardunio). Still would like to see the your build.
I got the solenoid from McMaster. (McMaster-Carr) It's nothing special, just 12V with with ports for 1/8" pipe. Here's the number: 7877K313. For some reason, they don't show the picture any more, but still have it listed as in stock.

I'm driving it with a lowly 2n2222A.

I left you a PM.

Ron
Old 10-20-2014, 03:40 PM
$tromtrooper

This stuff sounds cool, but on my 17 day 7000mi. road trip this summer I started w/a new chain & stock sprockets, started w/the chain set as snug as I dared & just shot it w/Chain Wax every night. At the end of the trip it was still easily within spec. & I never adjusted it.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I got the solenoid from McMaster. (McMaster-Carr) It's nothing special, just 12V with with ports for 1/8" pipe. Here's the number: 7877K313. For some reason, they don't show the picture any more, but still have it listed as in stock.

I'm driving it with a lowly 2n2222A.

I left you a PM.

Ron
I bought a GY6 scooter vacuum fuel switch. I wonder if it will seal with a thick oil?
Old 10-21-2014, 10:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Not sure what that is.

When I first made the oiler I used a solenoid I had on hand. It was made for air/gas, not liquid. It worked just fine, but ultimately started leaking. I guess it didn't like the 90 weight.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement