2013 DL1000 V-Strom and V-strom Concept - [merged] - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 10:30 PM
$tromtrooper

Default 2013 DL1000 V-Strom and V-strom Concept - [merged]

I was digging around a maxi-scooter board this evening. (wife bought a Burgman 400, nice scooter) and one of the members posted a link to a French motorcycle/scooter website that had interviewed some of France's top Suzuki brass, and had found out that there is to be a re-design of the Burgman 400 and 650 for 2013. What was very interesting is that they also mentioned three re-designed motorcycles. A GSXR1000 and DL1000 and GT. Not sure about the GT, but I'd be willing to bet that it would be a "standard" bike using the 1000cc V-Twin. I'm sure they will have to spread the cost of a major re-design of the 1000 engine across more than one model. Plus they have to compete with the Versys 1000, which is not a direct competitor of the DL1000.
Here is the website:
Google Translate
Hopefully the translation engine works with this.

Oops, it just goes to the web-site. Click on "News for 2013" in the left hand column to find the article.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

It's hard to know if they are really talking about a new "GT" model. Remember that there already is a DL1000GT which is just a DL1000 outfitted with touring luggage. It could be that all they are talking about is a re-designed DL1000 with a GT version.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

My nearby dealer told me the Vee is back. No changes. Bold new colors and graphics and a new higher price. He has not heard about delivery dates yet.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott E. Bonds View Post
My nearby dealer told me the Vee is back. No changes. Bold new colors and graphics and a new higher price. He has not heard about delivery dates yet.
We all ready know that (2012 Vee is back with no changes)... What the OP was talking about was a possible re-design of the 1000 in 2013...

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]Never argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 02-02-2012, 10:18 AM
$tromtrooper

That would be great. Often new ADV and naked models are introduced in selected markets and the USA is either delayed or ignored. Though the USA is a fickle market.

Hopefully the 2012 Wee and the bigger liter class competitors sell well to show that there is a market for a re-designed 2013 DL1000?

While the 2012 Wee is nice, it is too similar to my 2007 to consider. But if they can make the DL1000 more powerful AND cheaper, AND lighter than the grossly overweight Super Tenere, then I will line up with my checkbook. According to actual dyno runs the "Super Ten" barely hits 90hp at rear wheel (some tests show high 80s) and outweighs much of its competition ... so much for the claimed 110 hp. I still love Japanese reliability, but we need a more competitive liter class ADV bike.

If the 2013 DL1000 gains weight, uses the same slightly rough engine tuning, and costs much more than $12000 (US) for a base model they can keep it.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

It certainly would be exciting if it were true...if they could polish the rough edges off the 1000 and add ABS I think a lot of Wee riders would give it another look.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFZ6 View Post
We all ready know that (2012 Vee is back with no changes)... What the OP was talking about was a possible re-design of the 1000 in 2013...

Thanks for clearing that up. I do not know what every body else knows. Most of the time, I have forgotten what I knew yesterday. I asked about any redesign and my dealer knew what you know.

Looks like I will put another 12,000 miles or so on mine for 2012 and see what Suzuki come up with. I sat on a new Triumph "Tiger I think", I believe I may have found my Vees replacement. But, darn...I sure hate to start over with a new mistress again.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Hey Suzuki:

Make a new DL1000 that follows what you did with the 650, and I'll buy one!

BTW: Mo Powa Mo Metta! Massage the engine while you're at it!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Though the USA is a fickle market.
No. That's not it at all, at least in my estimation.

Longstanding consumer loyalty to particular motorcycle styles -- overwhelmingly cruisers and RRs to a lesser extent -- is very entrenched and very obvious. The refusal of the Japanese and European brands to import a broader selection of motorcycle styles and models in any appreciable volume, if at all, seems to me to be a very rational business decision. It's a prudent response to observed purchasing trends which are longstanding and static.

More than once on this forum have I mentioned my [pleasant] surprise that the V-Strom ever got imported to the U.S., and that it has lasted as long as it has (esp. the 1000) in Suzuki's line-up.

Now, I'm not at all surprised that the manufacturers, the Japs in particular, have and continue to introduce a plethora of models and trim levels all within the cruiser category. E.g., the catalog for Yamaha's "Star" line is just as voluminous as the sum of all other motorcycle categories and models that the company presently imports into the U.S.

A fickle market? If only!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Living the Stereotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye.surgeon View Post
It certainly would be exciting if it were true...if they could polish the rough edges off the 1000 and add ABS I think a lot of Wee riders would give it another look.
Helloooooooooooo.................

Stromin'Nroman NC28729, USA

DL650A K7 (Greywolf Moto Lab's R&D test mule) June 1, 2012 - present
DL650A K7 April 23, 2007 - January 6, 2012, RIP

"Look here brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" Frank Zappa, 1975
Sponsored Links
Advertisement