Why am I overheating? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Why am I overheating?

I have had this problem for a couple months now and can't figure out what is going on. I have an 06 Vee with 15K miles. After about 10 minutes I get bubbling in the overflow tank but the bike is at 2 bars, not hot. Another five or 10 minutes pass and the bubbling increases and fluid level begins to rise in the overflow bottle and temp goes up to 3 bars. I don't want to keep on riding because I am worried it will totally overheat. I have replaced the radiator cap. Flushed and replaced the coolant. Removed all air bubbles. Checked that the fan comes on and it does, usually when the bike hits 3 bars. Nothing else wrong with the bike that would indicate head gasket. I plan on replacing the thermostat next. Why would I get bubbles at 2 bars? Should I go for the sending unit? What about the water pump? The service manual says "replace water pump", what part of it? Any help would be great. I talked to my mechanic and he basically said he will just start ordering parts and replacing things until it get fixed but I can only imagine how much that will cost.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Moderator++

Check the cap seat surface and test the cap. Coolant leaving the radiator at 2 bars is an indication the cap is passing pressure it should be holding.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I agree with Greywolf on this. If the temp indicator is at 2 or 3 bars and the engine doesn't seem to be hot then there is no way the coolant should be able to bypass the cap and flow into the reservoir more than just enough to slightly raise the level. Is it actually filling the reservoir and overflowing from it?

Carefully check the sealing surface in the radiator neck. Carefully check the radiator caps rubber seal for ANY defects ( cuts, slits, holes ).

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com

Last edited by realshelby; 09-18-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

This is exactly the problem I had earlier in the summer, inconveniently a long way from home.

It was the radiator cap. I replaced it with a new one, problem seems to be solved.

I also think that my thermo switch went bad, resulting in the fan not coming on. This put additional pressure on the cooling system, which resulted in the rad cap failure.

I have a replacement thermo switch - swapping it out is on my very long to do list.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Check the cap seat surface and test the cap. Coolant leaving the radiator at 2 bars is an indication the cap is passing pressure it should be holding.
When this problem first started I took it to my mechanic. He said he pressure tested everything and it looked fine. I replaced the radiator cap anyway because its cheap and easy. I will take a better look when I put the thermostat in.

It has filled the overflow tank one time and leaked coolant down into my skidplate. I think it went to 4 bars on that occasion. It was 100+ outside and I had been riding about 30min in town. That makes me think that if I ride it long enough it will overheat but it does not explain why I would get bubbles after 10min and only 2 bars.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Moderator++

2 bars is not overheating. If the cap doesn't hold the pressure, coolant will expand past the cap, boil at a lower temperature than when under pressure, and lower the volume of coolant in the radiator. Those actions will, in turn, allow the temperature to increase to four bars.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Had the same problem with my vee, turned out to be the radiator had a split in the fins and when it heated up it would cause the water in the overflow to bubble over. Was hard to find the leak as being alloy it would expand under heat and seal up when it was cold. Replaced the radiator and all is now fine. Hope this might help.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezza View Post
Had the same problem with my vee, turned out to be the radiator had a split in the fins and when it heated up it would cause the water in the overflow to bubble over. Was hard to find the leak as being alloy it would expand under heat and seal up when it was cold. Replaced the radiator and all is now fine. Hope this might help.
Do you remember how you figured out that was the problem?
Old 09-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

For future reference, if you do end up finding a radiator problem, you can have it repaired by Myler's quite inexpensively.

Myler's Radiators, Motorcycle Radiators, Radiator Repair, Radiator Sales, Offroad, ATV, Street, parts, accessories, apparel, service, jacket, glove

But please -- just replace the cap first. Odds are good that's your problem, and it's less expensive than what sounds like an incompetent mechanic.

A pressure test probably would not have uncovered a problem with the cap simply because the cap wasn't part of the test -- most pressure tests are done with a fitting that replaces the cap.

The pressure test does tell you that the rest of the system is sealing well, so it's likely everything else is OK.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

OP states cap has been replaced. I still question how the head gasket was eliminated as an issue?
2002 White HD Road King Police (divorced)
2000 Red Honda XR 400r
2003 Green Honda Rincon 650 ATV

If it is not broken, it can still be fixed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement