Why am I overheating? - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott E. Bonds View Post
OP states cap has been replaced. I still question how the head gasket was eliminated as an issue?
Yes cap has been replaced. Head gasket has not officially been eliminated except that I have no other issues. No smoke, engine runs smooth (other than chudder), no coolant leaking, nothing.
If it was something with the cap or radiator, would I get bubbles in the overflow right away? Mine takes 10 to 15 minutes before it starts bubbling.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Moderator++

Pressure has to build before it will bubble. 10-15 minutes sounds about right for that. It's not going to overheat in that time but it can cause enough pressure.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leclairk View Post
Yes cap has been replaced.
Aargh, sorry -- I completely missed that. As I was skimming through, I kept wondering "why doesn't he try a new radiator cap?"

Never mind. Carry on. My apologies.

One thought: there is a gadget common in car shops (maybe not common in motorcycle shoppes) that can sniff exhaust fumes in coolant to diagnose a head gasket leak. Perhaps you could persuade a friendly car mechanic to take a whiff.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Moderator++

A head gasket leak would start pumping air out of the cooling system right away. Just because a cap is new doesn't mean it's good. I still think it's the cap, cap seal or the cap seat in the radiator.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
A head gasket leak would start pumping air out of the cooling system right away. Just because a cap is new doesn't mean it's good. I still think it's the cap, cap seal or the cap seat in the radiator.
I will pull the fairing off and good a real good look at the radiator and how the cap seats on there. I hope thats the problem.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:44 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

So I'm not a strom owner but on my tl1000s it was a complete pain to burp the cooling system otherwise it would do similar symptoms. I remember one thing I did to fix the issue was loosening a bolt on the water pump while going through the bleeding process. This was in the manual for my tls and hope my post helps you

Steve

Sent from my P85(R8A1) using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Finally got my bike back from a new mechanic (I didn't have much faith in my old one). Turned out to be the water pump. I was starting to loose fluid from the overflow coming off the water pump. Mechanic did say that bubbling in the overflow tank is normal. I asked him a number of times if that is true and he swore that bubbling is normal but going up to 4 bars is not. Rode it home today and stayed at 2 bars the entire time and there was bubbling in the overflow.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

That's great the overheating is fixed. I wonder if you just need to purge the system again. My Vee has never bubbled in the over flow that I have noticed. I may be wrong- but I would only think that was normal if there was air trapped in the system.. Maybe it doesn't hurt anything, but odd for sure..

Next time I'll put some effort into my username. This one sounds like a toilet Bowl cleaner or Treadmill, or..
Old 11-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

That's kind of what I thought but he assures me that it's normal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement