Fixing the Vee - Page 8 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by off1 View Post
Thanx peeps. I still find it hard to believe that I was able to actually pull this one off flawlessly. I keep expecting the engine to blow up like TNT between my legs every time I ride. Ha!

Sent from my left shoe using the Motorcycle app
I feel the same way after any major engine work, There is always a slight hesitation before hitting the starter button
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default This thread kicked ass

Great job man, well done.

N.

R1200GS, DL1K3, CBX, DRZ
I have a motorcycle problem.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

She almost died earlier this week.

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165387

[B]Frankenbike Build Project:[/B] [URL="http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227105"]The thread[/URL] - [URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArrIvyH9_DzYdGk1NkhhT3phVU9JMFBDWDZUYWxqUkE&usp=sharing"]The needed parts list[/URL] - [URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/108936872614705454475/albums/5939676311088087393?sort=1"]The progress pictures[/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Dang man that sucks. At least you didn't get banged up worse than you did. Looks like the luggage and crash bars took the most of the damage. Never fails that some idiot not paying attention caused all of this and got off with not having to take his own loss. On the plus side; least you were able to get up and ride home.

Next time I'll put some effort into my username. This one sounds like a toilet Bowl cleaner or Treadmill, or..
Old 12-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Glad you're okay. Great post otherwise.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:

Ouch! - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Do you think that different tires or ABS would have yielded a different result? Just curious. I am considering a more aggressive tread design but I am not willing to sacrifice road safety for the look I like.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmason1961 View Post
Do you think that different tires or ABS would have yielded a different result? Just curious. I am considering a more aggressive tread design but I am not willing to sacrifice road safety for the look I like.
Yes, definitely.

I wasn't braking and/or swerving too hard and I still lost the front tire. It was the kind of maneuver I could have easily pulled with my PR3's on my other bike.

I know I cannot add ABS the my Vee, but I'm certainly installing a set of Shinko 705's as soon as possible. These knobby tires are just crappy on paved roads.
[B]Frankenbike Build Project:[/B] [URL="http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227105"]The thread[/URL] - [URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArrIvyH9_DzYdGk1NkhhT3phVU9JMFBDWDZUYWxqUkE&usp=sharing"]The needed parts list[/URL] - [URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/108936872614705454475/albums/5939676311088087393?sort=1"]The progress pictures[/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
Old 12-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:

Ouch! - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Oh man, that sucks so much. Glad you're mostly OK, although that arm is going to be sore for a while I bet. ****ing BDC ought to be horsewhipped.

N.

R1200GS, DL1K3, CBX, DRZ
I have a motorcycle problem.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 AM
$tromtrooper

It's enough to make you spit chips after all the time you have put into getting your bike back on the road The only good part of it is you managed to not be to badly hurt. Good job you were wearing all the safety gear. I just did a charity toy run last Sunday with about 350 assorted bikes. A lot of the riders wearing shorts and tshirts and very little on their feet. If that had happened to them it's a trip to the hospital. As others have said great job and thanks for for the information and photos.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 AM
$tromtrooper

A few years ago I took my boys to an ORV park in South Carolina call Carolina Adventure World. We went to ride the MX track and also get some fast trail time on some of the miles of one way trails.
Close to the parking area was a hard packed clay oval track and some guys were on it trying to flat track with their bikes. I decided to enter the un-official race on my CRF450R which is a MX bike and has knobbies for intermediate dirt. After a few practice rounds I started to feel comfortable and was actually lapping some of these guys. The longer I rode the faster I went and the more I pushed it into the corners then...BAM! I was down and sliding on that hard pack.
I nursed an arm and elbow that look very similar to yours for weeks! (keep it lubed and don't let it dry. Burn cream worked for me).
Reflecting back on it I realized that I was a fool for trusting the knobbies on this type of surface. I see a lot of these agressive knobbies on some Vee's and Wee's and just cringe.
The last several years I see a lot of trials tires like the Dunlop D803 and the Pirelli MT43 being used in serious off road competition and in endurocross. They get great traction in the conditions that the Strom's see off road. I wonder if they wouldn't be a better choice for going back and forth from road to dirt?
PC-V, TRE, CR8EIX , ECM, K&N, RDL, PR4, PC-8, EB H4, WERKS, Madstad 22", 17/43 gearing, AdventureTech: Fork brace, shelf, mirror extenders, SpeedoDRD, wheel spacer, Head's-Up voltage monitor, Goldwing pegs, Sonic 1.1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement