StromTrooper banner

Fixing the Vee

29K views 88 replies 27 participants last post by  OfirMX 
#1 ·
So a few days ago I purchased a 2006 DL1000 with only 18k miles on it for 1,800 greens.

The downside? The engine is busted.

PO managed to break the front cam chain, bent the valves and who knows what else went kaput inside that poor cylinder... so I'm calling that motor a complete loss... almost.

Anyway, I registered at here and posted my situation. Within minutes Snownut, who lives just miles away, PM'd me and told me something like "hey, I have a DL1000 engine sitting in my garage, other than a broken camshaft gear, it works nice and smooth." ;D

So I went, brought the engine home, cleaned it and inspected it.

The broken gear:

So now I just need to open the original busted engine, take the camshaft out, install it into the new engine and mount it on the bike.

I'll post pics and updates here.

See less See more
#3 ·

So I'm stripping her down to remove the broken engine and install the new one, and upon inspection this is what I found:

Throttle body, front intake:

Looks fine.

Throttle body, rear intake:

Something is very wrong. There is a nasty, thick layer of dirt covering it all.

#5 · (Edited)
What would you recommend as a cleaning solution (once everything is taken apart)?

You think a regular carbs cleaner spray would do?

Sent from my right shoe using the Motorcycle app

#6 ·
Yes. The spray will do good.
I would be concerned as to where the rest of that gear is.

#7 ·
Thanks, I'll use the spray cleaner then.

I already opened the generator cover on the engine with the broken gear and flushed everything, including any oil deposits and I couldn't find any gear pieces. I want to think that the previous owner already took 'em out.

I'm going to be using the "new" engine (the one I got with 37k miles and the broken gear) but I still want to fix the original one (the one with 18k miles and busted chain/valves) just for the fun of it.

I'll keep you guys updated on the progress.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

#8 ·
It would be great to do a pictorial follow-up. Some of us love to see inside the motor!:thumbup:

#9 ·
I'll try. When I'm doing mechanics I get so into what I'm doing that I usually forget to take pictures. :thumbdown:

#10 ·
I can relate to that!

#12 ·
Sorry if I sound stupid, but what do you mean with "it was run with the boot off the rear intake"?

#13 · (Edited)
He is refering to the rubber flange that attaches to the TB intake that directs air from the air filter into the intake. When the boot is seperated dirty air will contaminate the TB and seems that in this case the owner did not know it was seperated.

#14 ·
He is refering to the rubber flange that attaches to the TB intake that directs air from the air filter into the intake. There are a few threads where owners have experienced a "backfire" that will dislodge or seperate the "boot" from the throttle body. When this happens dirty air will contaminate the TB and seems that in this case the owner did not know it was seperated.
Cool, thanks! I'll look into that.

#16 ·
I just talked to Snownut, he did find and remove the broken piece inside the motor :thumbup:

#20 ·
Haha, not gonna happen this time. I already have a DL donor heart.

#19 ·
Better check it out!

#21 ·
Engine down! Engine down!

And now, she is (almost*) ready to receive the donor motor - The one on the table.

* As soon as I swap that broken gear.

#24 ·
And that's surprising because... ?

Sent from my right shoe using the Motorcycle app

#25 ·
Well, call me crazy but in the end I decided to keep the original engine (18k miles) and use the parts on the donor (38k miles) to fix it. It looks like the original motor is not as kaput as the mechanic wanted me to believe.

I know, it's not the easiest way to do it, but I am a learning freak and I love challenges so I'll take this one and enjoy it.

I'm not in a hurry as I ride my SV everyday and she makes me VERY happy.

#26 · (Edited)
So what's not to love about this?

I'm really enjoying the process. :mrgreen:

Next step: Disassemble the heads.

#28 ·
Carbon on piston is uniform in color and not excessive. More importantly the ring lands look very good and show minimal bypassing of combustion gasses. Engine looks clean internally. What I see in the pics looks ok to me.

#29 ·
Yup, only surface crud.

For a moment I thought I had a charred piston.

#30 ·
Are you going to replace the rings and hone it?

#31 ·
Not unless they're out of spec, which I doubt.

(Or is there something else I should know?)

#33 ·
It's similar to Nikasil.
I really shouldn't say "hone" but, if in fact it was honed I doubt it would do much damage unless, maybe it was honed for a long time. It's pretty hard stuff.
I should say, de-glaze with purple scotch brite it in a crosshatch motion just to help re-seat the rings.
Or, just leave it alone. Maybe the rings will seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.