StromTrooper banner

Fixing the Vee

29K views 88 replies 27 participants last post by  OfirMX 
#1 ·
So a few days ago I purchased a 2006 DL1000 with only 18k miles on it for 1,800 greens.

The downside? The engine is busted.

PO managed to break the front cam chain, bent the valves and who knows what else went kaput inside that poor cylinder... so I'm calling that motor a complete loss... almost.

Anyway, I registered at here and posted my situation. Within minutes Snownut, who lives just miles away, PM'd me and told me something like "hey, I have a DL1000 engine sitting in my garage, other than a broken camshaft gear, it works nice and smooth." ;D

So I went, brought the engine home, cleaned it and inspected it.

The broken gear:

So now I just need to open the original busted engine, take the camshaft out, install it into the new engine and mount it on the bike.

I'll post pics and updates here.

See less See more
#35 · (Edited)
Momma told me valves are NOT supposed to look like this:

Dang, now I need to find a way to hold the rotor so I can remove the cam drive gear and install the new front chain.

:confused:

#37 ·
I can't tell completely by the picture of the valves but the seat faces look worn. Are the cupped?

#36 ·
Hah! Momma knows things!

Carefully inspect the valve guides where they enter the ports for any sign of cracking. With that much valve damage it is possible the stress of bending them has damaged the valve guides. Not always an issue but carefully look them over.

#38 ·
Guides inspected... they look OK.

I can't tell completely by the picture of the valves but the seat faces look worn. Are the cupped?
It's just the reflection of the light on the picture. Seat faces are clean and angle is OK.

Next steps: transplant from the donor engine the cam chain and the valves for the front cylinder... and cross my fingers.

Worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work, so I'll go with plan B: Transplant the whole donor engine and ride to the sunset. In the meantime I'm learning a lot and having a blast :mrgreen:

#39 ·
New head gaskets came in the mail today. :)

Sent from my right shoe using the Motorcycle app

#40 ·
Well, I was able to hold the rotor from spinning and get that chain gear out. I stuck a thick rag between the main rotor cogs and that stopped everything from spinning. Enough to loosen that chain gear's bolt.

Now, here you can see some crazy damage made by the broken chain.

#41 ·
I like seeing all of the pictures of the internals, keep them coming please.

I'm sure you will but, I would deburr the edges around that damage. Get them little pieces of shavings out of there.

Did you find all of the pieces of the chain that broke?

#42 · (Edited)
Well, after being working on the Vee for a good few hours today, this is where it all stands:

I ended up taking from the donor engine:
- The front cam chain.
- The front cam chain guide and tensioner
- The two front intake valves.

Everything else will be the original engine.

Original front cam chain - BUSTED

Original front chain guide - BUSTED

Original front intake valves - BUSTED

-------------------------------

So now that I have all the needed parts out, I just need to start putting everything together.

Chain guides are ready

Pistons are clean

Cylinders are clean

Heads are clean

Valves are mostly clean

Now I just need to lap them in place to re-seat them and make sure they seal properly.

Good day today.

- Off

#43 ·
Hey Off -- I just stumbled on to this thread. I had no idea when we rode last week that you were this far into the project! I really admire you for taking on this challenge. You have much more patience and tenacity than I have! I'd be happy to come over and help if needed. I can't provide much technical knowledge, but if you need an extra pair of hands let me know.

#44 ·
Well, I'm planning on putting the engine back together tomorrow and then maybe mount it in the evening. I know you'll be riding tomorrow morning, but if you feel like dropping by after that, I could use another pair of hands. You got my number, text me and I'll give you my address.

#45 ·
It's all coming together. :hurray:

Chains and cylinders are in place.

Heads are in place:

#46 ·
Snowing out there. Need a bigger garage heater... And a cup of hot tea.

Sent from my left shoe using the Motorcycle app

#48 ·
Valves adjusted and under spec. Only one needed a new shim which, fortunately, I had.
:thumbup:

#50 ·
Camshafts in place.

Timing adjusted.

This motor is almost ready! :mrgreen:

#52 ·
Thanx Shelby, I'll double check.

Sent from my left shoe using the Motorcycle app

#53 · (Edited)
Today I cleaned both side covers (clutch cover and generator cover). I removed the nasty stuff left by the original gaskets.

And since I didn't want to re-use those ugly original gaskets, I created my own using a thin layer of RTV Gasket Maker (black high-temp silicone).

... and proceeded to install the covers:

... off to bed now.

Tomorrow I'll install the head covers and re-assemble the bike. ;D

Oh, by the way, that Walmart carb cleaner is my best friend for keeping things clean... but if you're going to use it, make sure to keep the work pace well vented or you will experience a sudden rush of unexplainable joy and happiness. :party:

#55 ·
Installing the exhaust system... a major pain, specially the rear one. Those bolts have to come into one of the hardest to reach holes you can imagine.

But I did it!

Yes, ugly sticker is going bye bye

#56 ·
Radiator: Check!

Throttle bodies and air box: Check!

#58 ·
She's alive!!!!

I still have a FI error showing on the display so I'll be checking that up today. But she roars like a big beast already.

I'll post pics and maybe a video later today.

#59 ·
The FI error was just a TB sensor that I missed connecting.

She pulls like a locomotive!

A few minutes ago, passing the safety inspection.

I just need to re-install the fairings and she'll be 100% ready. :rock:

#60 ·
Good work. I was hoping the FI would be that simple.

#61 ·
That's Great that the FI error was just a sensor connection :) Great Work- looks like it did when the factory put it out

#62 ·
Two and a half months later:

Thanks to all of you who followed and supported this project :mrgreen:

Now ride!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.