Secondary Throttle Body Removal - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Secondary Throttle Body Removal

Yes, I did some research . the "secondary removal" threads all turned out to be a bunch of girls bickering. I would like a straight forward answer and possibly a link of the "how-to" on taking them out if i should go that route.

pros and cons of taking the secondaries out? I understand this can cause a lean condition in a specific RPM range, but my bike will be re-mapped and dyno tuned after they are taken out. My dyno guy had trouble getting a good reading today and he thinks they might be sticking. gonna take a peek at them tonight, but i'm wondering what the consensus is from the gurus.

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 04:54 PM
$tromtrooper

Leave them in and ensure they are properly adjusted.....trust me. If you want a bit more performance, go with a race exhaust, K&N filter and a PCIII or PCV.

2006 SV650 2006 DL1000 "HODOR"

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-10-2012, 05:05 PM
$tromtrooper

Simple logic anything that impedes the flow of the air reduces the flow and therefore the amount of air in the cylinder

If large throttles are snapped open the result is 1st a pop of air and second the air flow as in speed of the current almost stops. In carbs that was disastrous as its the flow that draw fuel into the air stream. The reaction is similar in FI as the computer takes a moment to calculate the amount of fuel needed now.

We know it as BOG

This squirt of fuel usually gets some unburnt gas passed the cylinder and causes excess pollution (be nice).

So in our FI system both you and the ecu are running the throttles plural.
You snap it open and then the computer opens the secondaries (really primaries) at a rate that creates acceleration without bog and less pollution.

The computer also dampens all throttle twitches, Sneakily you could say you have smart fly by wire as it is really running the throttle but you have your throttle to shut it off if it goes crazy.

Someday you will hear of a crash where the rider states he shut of his throttle on a true fly by wire but the computer hick coughed and kept it open. but I digress

If you wanted super power I am afraid you bought the wrong horse. I also think the throttle bodies are huge and oversized and the tiny amount of restriction they pose doesn;t change ultimate power 1 whit.

If you remove them and you are already at power rpms and you are applying and moderating power near wide open then you controlling the only throttles will eliminate the small lag between your throttle and the computer responding with the secondaries.

I one the other hand will be spending some effort in seeing if I can truly balance them before I do a TBS and see if I can pick up a couple of MPGs and smoothness.

enjoy
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Removing the secondaries means removing the throttle plates only -- you leave the throttle bodies and the secondary throttle shaft in place. There are two small screws holding in each plate. Use a JIS screwdriver, or you're likely to strip the screw heads.

The reasons why it's a bad idea to remove the secondary throttle plates are thoroughly explained above.

It's your bike. Do whatever you want.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Hand control is 100% better than secondary control,,,
If you are new to the throttle leave them in,, BUT come on people,
Think why are they even there, Thats right , So you decide,,,
I have taken mine out and put them back in,,, To me its a no brainier, Leave them out,,,, My 2&1/2 cents,,,,

Mike
Old 03-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

if properly tuned to make up for the lean condition and pending my proper throttle control, will removing the secondaries present any mechanical issues?
Old 03-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iride View Post
Think why are they even there, Thats right , So you decide,,,
I have taken mine out and put them back in,,, To me its a no brainier, Leave them out,,,, My 2&1/2 cents,,,,

Mike
I think they're there because the engineers at Suzuki who designed the FI system think the system needs them. But what do they know?

Rip 'em out! With enough jacking around with a PC-III etc. you can probably get it running ok again. You probably ought to beat a section of pipe through the exhaust baffles while you're at it, and cut some holes in the airbox too.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:26 PM
$tromtrooper

The SUZI engineers have to deal with EPA etc. Many times that is contrary to performance aspects. This is espescially true of big jugs with poor cirulation and much broad squish areas.

If you are given a mandate and a difficult engineering problem without the economics to start with a clean sheet then you make bandaids then bandaids for the bandaids.

SO some level of mods may be all to the good
Old 03-11-2012, 05:40 PM
$tromtrooper

They also keep you from killing yourself, on a bike not designed to go fast.

2006 SV650 2006 DL1000 "HODOR"

Old 03-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Take them out , If you do not like it put them back in,,,,
I think you will leave them out.....
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement