Fuel pump dead?! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Fuel pump dead?!

First off Merry Christmas everyone!

I was out for a ride with my daughter today after running an errand. We took the "scenic route" home. About 15 minutes from the house, at about 40mph the bike just died. Then started sputtering & choking/coughing a bit. Electrical is good. It smells "rich" when it tries to start. I called "The Boss" & she brought the truck with the ramps to pick us up.

I got it home, out of the truck & into the garage & it fired right up. When I blipped the throttle it back fired/choked & then died after less than a minute of running. When I turn the key on I don't hear the fuel pump "whine", but I hear the other ones you normally do when the key is on.

Keep in mind that I got home about 2 hours ago & haven't had time to check anything nor will I for a while. So I'm thinking fuel pump, but I REALLY hope that's not the problem because that things EXPENSIVE!!! I've searched on here & VSRI. Most searches kept coming up with fuel flow test. But if the pump isn't "whining" then how am I supposed to do a fuel flow test?

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Again, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

Pain is weakness leaving the body!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

I remember reading a couple years ago that a fuel punp from a Suzuki Swift is the same but has to be mounted on the V-Strom sending unit. IIRC it is about 1/4 the price of a V-Strom unit. Hope that helps.
Good Luck and keep us updated on how you make out.
03 DL1000 FOR SALE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Found the link

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-...58-worked.html
03 DL1000 FOR SALE
Old 12-28-2011, 06:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

After the holiday weekend & family being in town I haven't had a chance to really dig into it. I can tell you that while I was out in the garage last night trying to get some of the tornadoe straightened up I turned the key & listened. Usual electrical "whine", but I thought I heard the fuel pump TRY to do "something". Nothing happened, though. I checked the schematic & didn't see any fuses & such that leading to it. I'll dig into it as soon as I get a chance because MAN I missed riding to work this morning!!!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

Just check you didn't jump the kill switch by accident. I've done before on a different bike and had half apart when I realized it.
03 DL1000 FOR SALE
Old 01-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Progress posted here...http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-...-please-4.html

Old 01-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

So after I made the last update here...http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-...se-4.html....I....I went back out & double checked everything I did. It turns out that I DID have the voltages after all! I guess it helps to have the DMM set up correctly!

Anyway, now we've back to checking parts (IAPS & IATS). Anyone have an idea as to where I can get the pressure checker? Auto parts store? Just a thought.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

If the fuel piump is dying, I doubt you would smell a "rich" smell. It sounds vaguely similar to the same issues others have had with the TPS. Just for grins, turn your key on, turn the throttle 4 or 5 times from stop to stop, then try to start your bike.
2005 DRZ400
2005 KDX220R
2007 DLK
2009 KLR650
Old 01-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiller4me View Post
If the fuel piump is dying, I doubt you would smell a "rich" smell. It sounds vaguely similar to the same issues others have had with the TPS. Just for grins, turn your key on, turn the throttle 4 or 5 times from stop to stop, then try to start your bike.
Hmmm.....I'll have to try that after I (at least) get the tank back on & hooked up. Just out of curiosity what does that do? I thought I tried that while I was stranded on the side of the road on Christmas Eve with my daughter, but I'll try it again.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:41 PM
$Whatever$

It resets the TBS...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement