Turn Signal Lights Do you change them to non-OEM? - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

View Poll Results: Do you change your OEM signal turns lights to something else?
No, I keep the OEM signal lights on my V-strom. 31 60.78%
Yes, I have replaced them with Flush Mounts. 11 21.57%
Yes, I have replaced them with Short Stack Mounts. 9 17.65%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 Old 09-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Send a message via Yahoo to swingset
Gravity made my decision for me, at least on the fronts. I put short stalk LED's on the front and back, much better. Had to change flasher units, but not a big deal.

Never met a dog I didn't like, a machine I couldn't break, or a woman I couldn't tick off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 09-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

The PO of my 2002 Vee admitted to a tipover on the left, but it didn't seem to hurt the stock front signal, or maybe he replaced it. Dunno.

I haven't had a tipover and don't plan to, so they're staying until I absolutely run out of other things to monkey with.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening
post #13 of 23 Old 09-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Stromin' Nroman - With respect to your yellow headlamp bulbs, have you received any adverse attention from law enforcement?

I use the H4 bulb linked below in one of my headlamps. It's not nearly as yellow as your bulbs, however.

Amazon.com: HELLA H83140121 Yellow Star H4 Light Bulb: Automotive

post #14 of 23 Old 09-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

This wasn't on the poll, either:

I made these super-bright LED rings for mine.

Ron
post #15 of 23 Old 09-19-2011, 06:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man View Post
Stromin' Nroman - With respect to your yellow headlamp bulbs, have you received any adverse attention from law enforcement?

I use the H4 bulb linked below in one of my headlamps. It's not nearly as yellow as your bulbs, however.

Amazon.com: HELLA H83140121 Yellow Star H4 Light Bulb: Automotive

I've used one yellow headlight and one white headlight for a couple of years in several states, and I've never encountered an issue with LEOs. Compared to riding my other bikes, I do believe there's a difference in visibility -- fewer people seem to pull out in front of me, etc. Of course, the roads are full of the truly oblivious, so the difference is slight. But I'll take any edge I can get.

Here in Indiana, the law reads that you must have at least one white headlight facing forward, and bars red and blue lights facing forward. It doesn't specify that all headlights must be the exact same color, and it never defines an acceptable color range or temperature for white light.

One yellow headlight is simply not addressed in the laws, so it must be legal, right?

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening

Last edited by bwringer; 09-19-2011 at 06:07 PM.
post #16 of 23 Old 11-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

RangerRon
How would you describe the specs for that light?

How much did it cost?

What mods did you have to do if any.

Looks wicked hows it look?

Host it at ViaWest and keep me busy.
post #17 of 23 Old 11-10-2011, 06:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
I haven't had a tipover and don't plan to, so they're staying until I absolutely run out of other things to monkey with.
My thoughts as well. The only biy of turn signal monkeying I want to do is to see if I can change front bulb style and add the wiring to make the front's function as running lights as well.

Jim
post #18 of 23 Old 11-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron View Post
I made these super-bright LED rings for mine.
Bah! I have been planning something like this as a winter project. Here and I thought I'd be the first to do such a thing. I should have known.

Might as well compare notes: Did you do any sort of writeup on this? How'd you mount the ring to the housing? I'd planned to cut form an acrylic plate to the shape of the inside of the housing with the LEDs siliconed or glued into holes in the acrylic, then silicone the plate into the housing.

How do you have the ring wired? Are they blinkers? Running? Brakes?

Basically I'm copying this. My friend put this kit on his cruiser and it is pretty nifty. I worked out the diode circuit (which is pretty trivial actually) a couple weekends ago. Our bikes are wired like theirs: both turn signals go to ground when the signal is not lit.

[CENTER][SIZE="1"]2011 V-Strom DL650 ABS - Black[/SIZE][/CENTER]
post #19 of 23 Old 11-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

Due to crash damage I just changed out the fronts with a cheap($14) units from the honda shop. I need to find a hot wire so I can hook up the running light filament.
Cheap and practical.
post #20 of 23 Old 11-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Moderator++

Garage
I used the B/Bl low beam hot wire for my running lights. I figure if I am running high beams, there is no need for running lights.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014+ DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012+ DL650s
See http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode