Clutch Basket Mod Part II - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Default Clutch Basket Mod Part II

Some of you may remember the original "clutch basket mod" thread that was locked a while back due to language and remarks not suited for the site. I think many owners could have benefitted from the information in the thread. I think the time has come to revive the subject after reading some recent posts.

The original subject was the "SHIM MOD" technique. The method of inserting a shim ( washer as some call it ) into the spring pocket and welding a retainer over the spring window has been used with great success on many Vee Strom 1000's. Without exception to date all ride reports have been VERY positive and no failures reported, at a cost of a few dollars for materials. I have done quite a few of these for owners that did not have the resources themselves ( mig welder, certain other common tools) at no charge for labor or parts. For every one I have done there are quite a number of owners that I have answered questions on the phone, by e-mail, or pm for that wanted to confirm the procedure. This mod will remain a viable mod for anyone wanting to eliminate chudder in their V Strom 1000. I will continue to help anyone that requests it!

Many have been convinced that the baskets need to be taken apart and the inner plate fixed and the bearing clearances tightened up. Till I see a failure in the shim mod I can say it is all most riders need. But, I have been working on a couple new ways of remanufacturing the basket to make it better than new. Some of you know that a brand new basket may start chudder symptoms within a few thousand miles of installation. Fixing the inner plate so that it cannot move should cure the wear, and even if the bearing is not the root of all chudder issues it certainly shows quite a bit of wear in some cases. I am currently experimenting with a unique design incorporating an all new way of holding the inner plate properly and while it is apart a new bearing in the center hub. I have not built the first one, parts of old baskets are currently in the hands of a machinist with over 30 years of experience working with tolerances within .0005". I need a few baskets ( the ones we have now have broken parts and cannot be used) to start the process with. I cannot guarantee you will get one back, but the first couple I get will get a chance at the the basket being returned to them with the new design to try. Free of charge. Obviously these need to be extra baskets previously taken out, it may be a few weeks before I am ready to release them. Even if you are not interested in the new remanufactured/modified basket and have a basket laying around let me know. I will pay you for them if reasonable. I would love to get a few extra to use as exchange baskets down the road. This new design will incorporate the original style shim mod also as it has proven to have benefits in reducing chudder.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default "Bad Vibes"

I have about 24K miles on my 04 Vee, and am definetly noticing some low end vibrations.
What do I need to do to perform this mod? It would be awesome to have this done before my big trip next summer.
Thanks for all the support!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:50 PM

If you are talking about the shim mod it can be done by anyone with good mechanical skills and decent welding skills and access to a mig welder. Or, I will still do these at no cost for parts and labor, you pay shipping. I have been able to ship these back the day after I recieve them every time so far.

As for the all new design, if you don't have a spare basket you need to wait and see what goes on for a couple months. If all goes well I may start buying new baskets to work on and ship if I don't get any used ones.

The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com
Old 05-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I'm noticing a shudder, just a little, on fairly hard acceleration. If you keep the revs up and do it just right no problem. But you need fastidious clutch hygene. Is this the problem you speak of?
Old 05-31-2010, 11:51 AM
$tromtrooper

I would be more then willing to send you a basket if it was September but unfortunately it is just getting to the good riding season here. If your still looking for baskets and are not in production by then I will be more then willing to send you one to play with. If you in production I may still be sending you a basket.
1986 XR600R,1986 VF1000R,1999 CBR1100XX,2006 CRF450X,2007 DL1000 V-Strom
Old 06-01-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
I'm noticing a shudder, just a little, on fairly hard acceleration. If you keep the revs up and do it just right no problem. But you need fastidious clutch hygene. Is this the problem you speak of?
Echo, sounds a lot like chudder. If it goes away around 4K that is a sign, if you find yourself keeping revs above 4K just because the bike is so much smoother, that is a sign of chudder. One test is to accelerate from about 2500 rpm with enough throttle to get the bike to vibrate or chudder, then do the same thing while pulling in on the clutch lever just to the point it starts to slip. If the engine smooths out, it is chudder.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:00 AM

I think I have a couple Volunteers lined up for the basket experiment. Won't be much to report for a while. I will be out of town for a bit. If I can get the machine work started before I leave that will help. Stay tuned.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I HAVE CHUDDER! So, what is the down side? Will something come lose eventually? I can live with the noise/vibration if it isn't doing further damage. Otherwise, is there a Suzuki fix?
Old 06-03-2010, 03:22 PM

realmortician, chudder has not left anyone stranded along the road. The noise is a secondary issue that many only notice when stopped. Chudder may be responsible for some of the bad publicity the big Stroms have gotten and for sure some owners have sold/traded bikes because they were unhappy because of it. There are now fixes for it, none of which are offered by Suzuki!

Once you ride your bike with chudder fixed, you will no longer say you can live with it!

Old 06-03-2010, 03:26 PM

Update on the new basket mod: We should start machining some of the parts for the new design over the weekend. Working with some junk basket parts now, have two good ones on the way for complete upgrading. We may experiment with bearing materials and design a little, but the basic concept has gotten over all the design hurdles we can think of.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement