Installed a Werks basket over the weekend. The bike ('06 Vee) has over 120 000 kms on it and was experiencing increased levels of chudder in the last year or so. This is the first time I've ever dug into a clutch before and I thought it would be a lot more complex than it was.
However, for anyone with really basic mechanical skills (can use ratchet and a can of brake cleaner), this is entirely a DIY job.
The only issue I ran into was I broke a pressure plate bolt when torquing it back down. These bolts don't require a lot of torque - only 7 foot pounds - and one of the bolts failed below even that. At first I thought the aluminum threads had failed and was thinking a helicoil was in order, but the bolt head snapped off when backing it out - a much simpler problem. Pulled the clutch back apart, and used a drill press to drill a small pilot hole and used and extractor screw to remove the broken bolt. I could not source a replacement bolt (M6, 40mm, hex-head, full-length threads) on short notice so went with a 35mm replacement. I don't see why that won't work fine. That's lots of thread for a low-torque bolt.
I also rebuilt the water pump while I was in there. Though it wasn't leaking at all, it seemed the right time. It's all exposed when you open the case, so why not? Turns out it was showing signs of extreme wear and was ready to fail, so I was glad I had all the parts on hand. I wouldn't want to pull the case apart and drain both oil and coolant just for that.
Clutch plates all looked good and, even though I bought a replacement nut and washer, they were fine to use over. All you really need for the basket replacement is the gasket.
End result of new Werks basket:
Huge improvement and totally worth the cost. Those low RPM pulls that used to make me clench my teeth to keep them from rattling are history. I have one particular left turn from stop that requires a quick shift from first to second before the bike is laid over too far to get my toe under the shifter without hitting the ground. Out of habit (this is an old, tired bike that goes through this same corner 5 days a week all year long), I braced myself for the all-familiar chudder, only to find a smooth pull through second gear from 1500 rpm upwards.
When I hit the highway and 110 kms/hr, I shifted into 6th - something I haven't done for a long time - and found O/D super smooth. I had a big smile all the way through my one-hour commute to work. I'd like to say it's just like new, but it's better than it was even new.
This impression is after ONE DAY of riding. I am so impressed and can't wait to go to work tomorrow. That is worth the upgrade in itself.
A bit of background - this bike has chuddered since new, but got seriously worse in the past year, to the point I was actually considering buying a 650 (the Strom so fits my needs). It's been a commuter its entire life and has also done a lot of off-pavement duty. It owes me nothing. I figure this mod gives the bike a couple more year's life for what I use it for.
If my next Vee shows the same symptoms, I know what the first farkle will be, after crash bars, of course.
Terry (Real Shelby) is very accomodating and does a fantastic job. He sent out a ready-to-go basket and a clutch wrench so I could do this job in one day, before sending my old basket back to him. I give his product and service a big thumbs up.
If you look back a page or two into this thread, you'll see what he does.