SCEM ? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default SCEM ?

Does anyone out there know what exactly SCEM (Suzuki composite electrchemical material) is, and does it wear off the cylinder walls at some point?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I don't know about Suzuki's process but I'm inclined to think that it is somewhat like the other manufacturers. Way back when, Kawasaki came out with what they called an electrofusion process on their dirt bikes. The idea was first to reduce weight, no cylinder liner, second, improve cooling, heat going right to the aluminum cylinder and who knows what else the engineers had in mind. Not long after everyone jumped into the game with their own process. Basically it's a very hard material that is electrocoated onto the cylinder wall. It is then ground to the finish size. All I can say is if you lubricate the engine properly and don't have a catastrophic failure, broken ring or such, it lasts a very long time. I was going to say almost forever but that's probably stretching it. On a dirt bike it's just a matter of changing the rings periodically and you're good to go. With a liquid cooled bike where the temperature is controlled I would think you'll get more miles on the cylinders than you will with many of the other components.
gbritnell
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Nope

Generally the coatings are some combination of nickel and silicon, either plated or plasma-coated to the alumin(i)um cylinder wall. Under normal use, it is hard enough that it'll probably never wear off, given adequate air filtration and oil changes. But the coating is very thin, so anything that can physically damage the coating (broken ring, foreign matter (dirt) ingestion, broken mechanical bits) will tear it up, along with the usual oil starvation. At that point, you can either try to get the cylinders re-coated (various dirt-bike sources) or look for replacement cylinders. But in normal use, it is a non-issue, if properly applied during manufacture. And since it is light, thin, conducts heat well, and integral to the cylinder, for the normal user it is much preferable to cylinder liners.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Well not quite forever.........

Have a buddy of mine going through the Toyota specific course right now. They to are electro plating the cylinders. You can expect to get about 300,000 mile out of the engine before the plating starts to wear through. I am sure you will find it to be about the same in bikes. Though I am sure you will be into head work long before you reach that point.
1986 XR600R,1986 VF1000R,1999 CBR1100XX,2006 CRF450X,2007 DL1000 V-Strom
[IMG]http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp210/cbrxxcess/Motorcycles/North%20American%20V-Strom%20Rally%202009/Canadamap.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp210/cbrxxcess/North%20American%20V-Strom%20Rally%202010/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-26-2010, 05:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Close enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrxxcess View Post
Well not quite forever.........
You can expect to get about 300,000 mile out of the engine before the plating starts to wear through.
Never had a vehicle yet with 300 K miles on it, new or used. Close enough to forever for me. And given Toyota's other problems, perhaps their coating isn't quite as good as others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement