Advice for Best Performance Engine Mod / Dl1000 for cost - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 12:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Advice for Best Performance Engine Mod / Dl1000 for cost

Guys,
If I need more "go" ,whats the best way to go about it, with out spending too much, or sacrificing smoothness.
whats the consensus?

Cheers
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 01:33 AM
Banned

Sell your vee, and buy a bmw k1200 or k1300 gt.

I've concluded it was the best cost/comfort/practicality/performance compromise there is.

It's the smoothest and comfiest bike I've ever ridden, and while it's more powerful than the FJR, where it really outshines every other vehicle I've ever driven is in braking performance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:18 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyoda View Post
Guys,
If I need more "go" ,whats the best way to go about it, with out spending too much, or sacrificing smoothness.
whats the consensus?

Cheers
Mike
43T rear sprocket
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

Go down one tooth on the front sprocket
or
lose 20 pounds (seriously)
01 Cagiva Raptor 1000 (sold)
Old 04-09-2010, 09:38 AM
steve68steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnieM View Post
Go down one tooth on the front sprocket
or
lose 20 pounds (seriously)
..or up two on the back sprocket, as already mentioned.

Stock is 17/41. Some people go to 16/41, some to 17/43. I went to 18/45 (long story) - without doing the actual math, I think all of those "modded" gear ratios are pretty close, and all slightly more RPM-y than stock.

Also, re: the 20lb weight loss - I was noticing the other day how much peppier my bike seems. "Maybe it's the warm weather," I thought. Occurred to me that I lost 35-ish pounds in the last two or three months. Noticeable difference (on AND off the bike).

A pro flat-track racer I know once told me that losing 7lbs is equivalent to gaining 1hp. I was asking about how to soup up my KLR to have a little more juice to be more high-way worthy. His advice: sit-ups.
My weight loss is like gaining 6hp or so - "butt dyno" definitely detects it.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Take out the secondarys free
Pipe,
power commander
TRE not real sure about this
Mike
Old 04-09-2010, 09:24 PM
$tromtrooper

Not much can be done, anything that can be done makes the butt dino very powerful!!!

2008 WR250R 2006 DL1000 "BRUTUS"

Old 04-10-2010, 06:18 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

7 pounds = 1 horsepower, cheapest to go on a diet; ride more eat less.
Changing sprockets seems to be most cost effective. I've been looking at cheap ways to add a few hp. I removed the snorkel from my air box, it seems to have added a few butt-hp.
Best performance modification anyone can make is an advanced rider course.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

Improvements to the rider are far more effective than improvements to the engine.

Look at it this way: let's say you put Valentino Rossi on your V-Strom, complete with luggage, significant other on the back, and stuffed dinosaur zip-tied to the trunk. You get his MotoGP bike. Let's assume you're also an anorexic Italian teenager, just to make that even.

Guess who's going to get there first in every conceivable contest of speed? That's right, the guy with more skill -- Mr. Rossi. The bike is only 5% of it.

But if you're already spending 90% of your time at the track days you and your buddy Kieth Code teach with the throttle pinned, passing GSXRs left and right, and wondering why this humongous turd is so slow, then forgive me. Maybe you do need more power.

On another note: removing the secondary throttle plates does not unleash more power. It simply makes power delivery more abrupt, which many people mistake for increased power. Which actually slows you down, since the secret to Big Speed in the twisties is smooth, controllable power down low. More control allows you to begin adding power much sooner when exiting a corner, for example.

If you want something sportier, perhaps you might poke around for a TL1000S or SV1000? Very similar engine, more power, lighter, smaller, and better suspension.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:23 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iride View Post
Take out the secondarys free
Pipe,
power commander
TRE not real sure about this
Mike
For the price of all this you can drop a used SV 1000 motor into the bike and get more horse power for less money. I have seen them with all the attachments for as low as $600. And if you get the right years most of the electronics will just plug in. But the strom will never be a fire breathing speed machine. The pipes will just make it sound like one.
1986 XR600R,1986 VF1000R,1999 CBR1100XX,2006 CRF450X,2007 DL1000 V-Strom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement