Can (should?) I use the Barnett SV1000 clutch kit in my DL? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 12:49 AM
$tromtrooper

Default Can (should?) I use the Barnett SV1000 clutch kit in my DL?

I was looking at the Barnett web site for a replacement clutch for my DL1K. They do not have springs for the DL, so they don't have a DL "kit". However, I know the SV basket fits the DL so that leads me to ask if the SV kit is a good replacement in a DL? I've seen a post or two here and on VSRI that indicate it has been done, so I am just looking for any thoughts on advantages/disadvantages of using the SV kit with the stock DL clutch basket ( mine's an '08 ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Good question, May want to get the parts list off Ron Ayers or somewhere and look at the part numbers just to see how different they are..
H/D springs is always a good choice, It makes the clutch last a lot longer...
The weak springs of the OEM is to get by weak forearms not clutch life....
Mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just curious guys....why are you replacing the clutch? Do you ride it hard enough to cause it to slip or is it simply going up and you're going to need to replace it? My understanding is that the hydraulic actuation is to lessen the pressure required at the lever, not that they necessarily have weak springs. I used to crosscut my fiber plates& install heavier springs back in the day when I road raced two strokes but I can't see me ever needing to do that to my vee, but I also don't ride this bike very hard.

I'm just curious though, not condemning you for modding your bike.
SV Racing parts will be able to answer your question. He prob knows more about the SV then suzuki. Lastly, you can check the specs for each bike, they'll list the height and diameter of the springs....as long as the heights match, chances are, you'll be good to go since you know that the diameter is the same.

jeff
Stock bikes: a purple '74 RD350 in great shape, '70 H1, '72 H1, 1975 GT550, ,original 1975 H2 750 triple (purple of course), 1976 CB400F Supersport. '73 CB350-given away Modified bikes: Fully ported 1974 H2 750(my go-fast), a scary fast '82 Yam 650Turbo running 18PSI, a '75 GT550 built up & ported. To-Restore list: '72 H1, 2-'75 H1's, '82 920 Yamaha Latest acquired: 1974 GT750 can't wait to replicate our old racebike of the 70's!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-08-2010, 01:09 PM
$tromtrooper

Having dove into my clutch and replaced it with the SV basket, I can tell you that it should work. They do have different plate arrangements, but they are the same dimentionally. The main difference is the slipper unit, the outer basket is the same unit.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:41 PM
$tromtrooper

Default Slipping a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kushner View Post
Just curious guys....why are you replacing the clutch? Do you ride it hard enough to cause it to slip or is it simply going up and you're going to need to replace it?
Mine's slipping a bit - usually when taking off from a stop with a little too much gas. Instead of quickly accelerating, it bucks and jerks. I usually have to pull the clutch in and try again a little more mildly. I assume this is the first signs the clutch is going so I figured I would look at options. I do ride rather hard and like to get the front end up every now and then. I'm not real good at it, so I can understand why the clutch may not be performing at its best at this point.

I don't necessarily want to "upgrade", but Barnett does not offer a kit for the DL. That's why I am asking about the SV kit. I suppose I could just get new plates and use the stock springs.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:05 PM

The point of the SV Basket MOD is the springs IN the basket itself are stronger...as that is the source of the clutch judder...not the pressure plate springs(clamping force)...if that makes sense.

If you've got an 08 with a clutch that needs replaced...you've got serious other problems...I'm just sayin...

BTD.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadTrainDriver View Post
If you've got an 08 with a clutch that needs replaced...you've got serious other problems...I'm just sayin...

BTD.

Yeah, it almost sounds like a plate or two is warped. Denver, when you take it out, place each plate on a piece of glass then while holding the center so it doesn't move, check it at 8 different points(10 o'clock,12,2 ...) with a feeler gage...the runout specs should be in the book. And listen to what BTD is saying, he's right. You could have fried it without realizing it but you'll know when you open it up. The fibre plates will have a nice glazed, glassy surface and if cracks are present, trash it and replace. If it's just a tiny bit glazed, you can sand that out, but you'll have to judge. For the 80-100 bucks for a set of plates, I'd prob replace the set but do yourself a favor and roughen up both sides of each before reassembling and don't forget to put a TOUCH of lithium (high temp) grease on the washer so it doesn't drive you nuts by whinning and that each plate is in the correct spot.

jeff
Stock bikes: a purple '74 RD350 in great shape, '70 H1, '72 H1, 1975 GT550, ,original 1975 H2 750 triple (purple of course), 1976 CB400F Supersport. '73 CB350-given away Modified bikes: Fully ported 1974 H2 750(my go-fast), a scary fast '82 Yam 650Turbo running 18PSI, a '75 GT550 built up & ported. To-Restore list: '72 H1, 2-'75 H1's, '82 920 Yamaha Latest acquired: 1974 GT750 can't wait to replicate our old racebike of the 70's!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default sv clutch return springs softer

get on the barnett web page and lookup the numbers I think you will find the clutch plates are the same for a dl or sv or a busa for that matter. I believe the clutch return springs will be lighter than a dl as they are designed to for the slipper clutch function. I have a barnett sv setup in mine now with the slipper. and it has lighter pull on the lever than the stock dl setup.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:37 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Hi all I also have a 2004 DL 1000 with 75,000 klms on it..I get the shudder spoken of occasionally also ..but it is the basket rattle that gives me the heebies..

I just want to know if they make a clutch basket and clutch plate kit that will fit ...don't care if it is SV ,TL , Cagiva navigator or DL ..may as well replace the lot if it will fit and work..as I never want to part with my DL..but the noises give me the shits..

I often tow a small home made trailer with mine for camping gear..so a smoother stronger clutch would be great ..without the lever out rattles would be fantastic..
Old 08-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythbuster View Post
Hi all I also have a 2004 DL 1000 with 75,000 klms on it..I get the shudder spoken of occasionally also ..but it is the basket rattle that gives me the heebies..

I just want to know if they make a clutch basket and clutch plate kit that will fit ...don't care if it is SV ,TL , Cagiva navigator or DL ..may as well replace the lot if it will fit and work..as I never want to part with my DL..but the noises give me the shits..

I often tow a small home made trailer with mine for camping gear..so a smoother stronger clutch would be great ..without the lever out rattles would be fantastic..
Look up realshelby's clutch mod II thread( http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-...d-part-ii.html ). He can modify your stock basket and eliminate the issues you are experiencing. There are a few of us here that have had him do this for our Vee's and couldn't be happier. I easily consider it the best upgrade I've made to my Vee. No more chudder and the clutch basket noise at idle is all but eliminated.

Last edited by EC90T; 08-16-2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: added content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement