V-Strom Wheel Bearing Life? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default V-Strom Wheel Bearing Life?

I have an '05 Vee-Strom with 12,000 mile on the odometer. By June when we leave for our Alaska trip, I expect to have about 15,000 on the bike. Are the original wheel bearings good for an additional 10,000 miles (25,000 total) on this trip or should they be repalced prior to the trip?

Thanks in advance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 09:27 AM

Ron,

It all depends on how the bike has been ridden the previous 12,000 miles...eg, wet, dirt, etc...

The bearings on these bikes are only sealed on one side...the other side is just grease and a metal plate...not an actual rubber seal.

I would replace them before heading to Alaska, yes, if nothing else...for piece of mind.

The AllBalls Bearing kit the AdventureMotoStuff sells come complete with all seals and bearing(5) and will most likely never need replaced again due to the fact that they are a completely sealed design.

Not hard to replace...and not expensive.

Just my thoughts.

BTD.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Banned

i got 62k+ on my strom before replacing rear inter wheel bearings. they were shot. i'm still runing original frt. w/bearings.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Wheel bearings should be extremely unlikely to fail at those milages. I'd be more concerned with chain, sprockets, brakes, tires, air filter, plugs, really a host of things before I got to wheel bearings.

2012 CBR250R Tricolor
Old 03-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I take about 10 extra minutes to force new grease into the bearings with every tire change. The old grease coming out is always black. Don't know if this is gonna extend the life or not, but it shouldn't hurt. We'll see.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

BTD...thanks for posting those links.

I'll be picking up the F&R's to install during my upcoming tire replacement.

How are their tapered stem bearings?? Are those the ones people are using or do they source them from somewhere else?

At 30,000 miles I'm looking at routine r/r...

DL1000K5 - Black
DL650K8 - Yellow (Sold)
Old 03-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

If you haven't used a pressure washer to clean the bikes lower regions, the bearings should be fine. If you've been using a pressure washer in the wheel bearing area, expect the bearings to have suffered, and they likely will fail early. Best not to use a pressure washer.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:22 AM
$tromtrooper

If "I" were heading to Alaska.........they would be changed. Upgrade them once and be done with it probably for good.

2006 SV650 2006 DL1000 "HODOR"

Old 03-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

I just had the front wheel bearings on my 04 Wee replaced at 23,818 miles. There was some grinding noises and a rough feeling that didn't make me too happy.

The mechanic showed me how bad the old bearings were and mentioned that Suzuki was the only manufacturer that didn't seal them on both sides. I didn't note the brand of bearings he used to replace them but they were indeed sealed on both sides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.