DL1000 - do you get 200 miles on a full tank of fuel? - Page 7 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

View Poll Results: Do 1000 owners see 200 or more miles on a fill up?
Yes - I see more than 200 miles on a full tank of fuel 122 58.65%
No - it's a 1000, put the bong away... 86 41.35%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Jr, you get 300 per tank, how?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

" I like my Motorcycle's Loud and my Firearms Quiet." -Me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Riding local & not too hard,where I know I can get fuel I can get 200 mi.
On trips I limit to 150 to 180. I do cruse hard & the only time you have
too much fuel is when your on fire.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Reaper View Post
Jr, you get 300 per tank, how?l
see fuelly link fill up # 57, 65. hi-way miles, riding 60 - 65 mph in 6th. gear OverDrive.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWalker View Post
see fuelly link fill up # 57, 65. hi-way miles, riding 60 - 65 mph in 6th. gear OverDrive.
way to twist things

so ya had a tailwind that helped ya get 53mpg for 65 miles

only 20% of a tankfull and you extrapolate that out to a full tank and thing that you might be able to got 300miles on a tank

or what more likely happened, ya didn't get it filled all the way

motorcycle tanks are too small to get any kind of real number from one tankful let alone a portion of a tankful
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
[URL="www.gbhsurvey.com"]www.gbhsurvey.com[/URL]
[IMG]http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/xv920r/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

With those numbers wouldn't you need to pull over every 45 min to siphon off gas so it wouldn't overflow?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

" I like my Motorcycle's Loud and my Firearms Quiet." -Me
Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I used to get 140 tank riding around town, but since I fixed the too rich mapping I accidentally did, I am back up to 175 around town. 42 mpg on the highway now.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

Around town and off-road/gravel riding I'd struggle to get 200 miles. Cruising on road it wouldn't be a problem.
'08 Vee: Suzy luggage, Crash bars, Rad Guard & front mudguard extension, Zumo 550, Oxford Hot grips, Stebel, PC-8, 12v acc, Scott oiler & lube-tube, Remus Revolution Cans, Bark Busters, Phillips Extreme vision +100 bulbs.

'08 Concours 14: Rad guard, Stebel, Oxford Hot grips, Projekt D Screen, Hugger, GPS mount, helmet locks & front guard extension, Zumo 550, Stebel, Phil's rack & Givi V46, Sheepskin seat cover, Phillips Extreme vision +100 bulbs.

http://banditrider.weebly.com/index.html
http://banditrider.blogspot.com/
Old 12-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Now there was the time...

I have gotten 350 miles between fuel stops before on my Vee. That wasn't using a Peg Packer or a RotoPax either. That was in seat miles from gas station to gas station. AND, I have done it more than once.

Mind you... I was using a 16L Auxillary Fuel Cell on an Iron Butt Ride. But, I wasn't looking for fuel at the 180 mile mark either....
Old 12-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

Strangely enough, ill get maybe 190 miles goingg to work with no load besides my lunch, and when I'm 2up with wife ill get 260 to 270 miles. Pretty sure its speed and acceleration that affects fuel economy.

I need to get to work fast so ill drive 90 to 95 for 20 to 30 minutes at a time, sometimes 125 130 for a couple miles when its open, I don't like to lolligag on the boring interstate on my daily commute.

When with my wife on a trip I ride steady and usually the speed limit or below because its nice. Like others have said, your fuel economy is best in 6th gear around 60 to 65 mph, I've gotten almost 280 out of a tank but I don't like to let it dip below half a gallon. The most fuel I've ever put in the bike is 5.2 gallons. Usually going to work I only get 4.7, that's because I like to stop at a certain gas station only in my return home because its a shell and prices are always constant, brand new pumps are a plus as well and they pump very fast.

I donnt understand why others on this thread are talking about the vee's "performance" I mean, its a fast (accelerating) bike for what it is, but its not a bike of "raw power" its just a good all-round bike that has some balls to it, sits nice and high above traffic, and sounds really really mean with straight exhaust. That's why I like it. Whoever thinks it is just "raw power" needs to ride a sports bike 700cc or above. I promise you this bike will NOT outrun or out accelerate any new 700 or above sportsbike or most 600s (new)

PS. I would never ever buy a 650, I would hate the lack of power. This bike is too big (to me) for such a small engine, and 115 max speed?? Please.

Sent from my outdated Korean POS phone, using all of my internet data plan every month.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

I must have a mutant. My vee gets the same mileage almost all the time. A dead nuts 35mpg. It has been remapped but it only got 38 or so before. This is with caribou bags, topcase, a cee bailey strom screen and a single 240 pound rider.

I ride only backroads and interstate. I ride it reasonably hard. At 180 miles, I'm looking for fuel and have maybe 1/2 gallon left. So maybe 200 miles but I hate to coast into gas stations.

This winter I have removed the caribous and am seeing if they make much difference...which I believe is about 3 mpg so far. This is based on checking every tank for about 40,000 miles now.

I like the wee, its a great bike. But, even with the extra mpg it gets, I still prefer a more powerful bike.
2002 White HD Road King Police (divorced)
2000 Red Honda XR 400r
2003 Green Honda Rincon 650 ATV

If it is not broken, it can still be fixed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement