StromTrooper banner

New cheap battery recommendation DL1000?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ameritire 
#1 ·
Dead this morning, after a week hanging out. Jumped. Dead an hour and 60 miles later. Came up and started the rest of the day, but I figure the battery is dead. It's about the age to fail.

Any suggestion on the best current deal? We'll have this bike a bit longer, but probably not for 3 years more.

Thanks

#2 ·
Walmart for a battery. First, recharge that battery, rig a voltmeter on the bike, and see what your voltage is when running at 5000 rpm. You need 13.5 to 15 volts. If you don't have 13.5v, the problem is the charging system. A shop can load test the battery. Don't spend money guessing where the problem is.

Reactions: wingnut11 and Big B
#7 ·
Output was steady 15 v, more or less, from just off idle and very steady. Swapped out for an $80 sealed battery in the WalMart parking lot. I am convinced the bike is running better. Still have intermittent O/D light, but it's an old bike with 70,000 plus miles, so a few minor glitches are to be expected.

Magnets may well have been done - had a very professional rebuild before I got the bike. Everytime I do something it's been gone through right. Lock tite, never sieze, nothing missing. The only gaps were the clutch basket and the 2 mm, which are done now.

And on the Interstate yesterday on a long 70 mph run I got 50 mpg - amazing.

#8 ·
Good news! We all know that batteries fail with age (or misuse). Way too many batteries have been replaced when the problem is elsewhere.

The magneto in the Stroms is prone to trouble. In the older 1000s the magnets get un-glued from the rotor and cause a loss of voltage. Replacing the battery then is a waste of money. Your voltage readings show that your magneto is OK.

#9 ·
I'm looking for a cheap voltmeter that will handle the crap a bike takes and not die. Should be one out there, small and reliable. Then again, I'd like air speed, true ground speed, heading, two head temperatures, oil temperature, etc. Have to draw the line somewhere!!

#10 · (Edited)
cellwholesale2010 on eBay

I ordered two more of these. If they are like the one I got prior, they work fine and only cost a few bucks, $7.90 for both shipped.
They are coming from China so it will take a few weeks, probably on a cargo ship.
The one I got before came from some place back east and only took a few days.
For true ground speed, I rely on the two GPS average. Wind speed is gauged by the size of the bug splat on the visor and air temp is measured with a cooking thermometer mounted on the handle bar.
You can have it all, you just need to do it. Even the head and oil temps are easily done with inexpensive toys available on line.
Be the first in your garage to out do Greywolf in cockpit extravaganza.

I just got the volt meters in the mail today. Quick shipping. Gonna go plug them into the bike for a test.
OK, of the two new digital volt meters I got on is in sync with the original meter and the other .1 volt off. Close enough for folk music.
For $3.50 bucks you will get a meter that can show you the active health of your charging system.

#11 ·
I just want to recommend using a Battery Tender when your bike is parked or stored. I use the Jr. model that plugs in the wall with cord out that attaches to a SAE 2 prong connector. 2 connectors are included with the kit and runs about $30. My experience is that it more than doubles you battery life.

I have a 2003 Dodge Cummins. I bought it new in 2003. Don't drive it much but use the Battery Tender when parked. The factory batteries are going strong after 14 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.