Electrical conundrums - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 06-18-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Question Electrical conundrums

I recently posted about a Denali light going out, and since got it replaced - also replaced the R/R and the battery since then. I am now (within the last couple of weeks) having a few different electrical things happen that are just plain odd.

1) The SAME (left) denali light went out
2) My heated grips randomly turn on to level 1 or 2 out of 4.
3) My left brake light blew (it's an LED, but still this same bulb/s had been in my honda for several years and never went out)

Does this scream to the same source at all for anyone? Water somewhere? Bad connection somewhere? I have checked all the connections I could, but there's a crap-ton - no idea what I'm looking for. I don't ride in the rain much/at all, but I do wash the bike at a self-serve car wash. Nothing but oddities since I got this a few months ago, and the previous guy (a friend) had never had a single issue.

#BeyondAbove
DL1000K6 - 03/2017, 33k
--
GL500 Silverwing - 03/13-03/17, Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-18-2017, 09:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Due to my expertise I had a bad ground that took out the GPS and heated jacket source.
Go back and rework your wiring.
post #3 of 25 Old 06-18-2017, 11:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

+1

And avoid that high pressure wand at the self-serve car wash like the plague. Or, at least keep your finger off of the trigger.

At high pressure soap it can clean the carefully applied di-electric grease off a light bub or a 10 pin connector. The moisture left behind in tight spaces isn't necessarily a FAil waiting to happen, but...
notacop likes this.

Austin

2002 DL1000 - 70K of joy, so far...
1978 GS1000 - One owner, still putt'n

post #4 of 25 Old 06-19-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
Due to my expertise I had a bad ground that took out the GPS and heated jacket source.
Go back and rework your wiring.
Where did you find your bad ground?

#BeyondAbove
DL1000K6 - 03/2017, 33k
--
post #5 of 25 Old 06-19-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin44 View Post
+1

And avoid that high pressure wand at the self-serve car wash like the plague. Or, at least keep your finger off of the trigger.

At high pressure soap it can clean the carefully applied di-electric grease off a light bub or a 10 pin connector. The moisture left behind in tight spaces isn't necessarily a FAil waiting to happen, but...
What plugs (unless the answer is just ALL of them) should I make sure have some di-grease on them? This thing seems like a rat's nest compared to my last bike, especially with all of the farkles from the PO.

#BeyondAbove
DL1000K6 - 03/2017, 33k
--
post #6 of 25 Old 06-19-2017, 09:25 AM
Stromthusiast!

My bad ground was a wire I had bolted to the frame by the steering head. Frame ground, right? Nah! I ran a new wire back to the battery negative pole.
post #7 of 25 Old 06-19-2017, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Pictures of the Denali light - it isn't totally off I found out after taking a closer look, it's lit ever so slightly. I have never seen an LED chip do this before???

#BeyondAbove
DL1000K6 - 03/2017, 33k
--
post #8 of 25 Old 06-19-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
My bad ground was a wire I had bolted to the frame by the steering head. Frame ground, right? Nah! I ran a new wire back to the battery negative pole.
Hmm, ok. Really tough for me to know what everything is since the PO did so much electrical-related add-ons!

#BeyondAbove
DL1000K6 - 03/2017, 33k
--
post #9 of 25 Old 06-19-2017, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Bike is cursed........

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Drill"

post #10 of 25 Old 06-19-2017, 03:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdegallier View Post
What plugs (unless the answer is just ALL of them) should I make sure have some di-grease on them? This thing seems like a rat's nest compared to my last bike, especially with all of the farkles from the PO.
I dunno about the rat's nest on the V-Strom being worse than wiring harness on any other liter bike.

Just my opinion, based on "Failures I Have Known", but the 2 multi-connectors resting in a pocket in the left side cowling plastic, the connectors downstream (moving up ) to the headlights, ignition switch, instrumentation, and THE engine ground connection.

Second rank of importance includes the sidestand safety switch, tail/brake/turn signal connectors in the cavern under / behind seat, connector on the radiator ( right rear location, temp / fan control switch ), and the contacts in the handlebar left and right controls (start switch, high-low beam, etc.).

Black w/ white stripe wires are usually the supplied, all-important ground wires that are vital since the frame is NOT usable as a ground. Notacop hit the nail on the head. Install your own ground wire from battery.
greywolf and notacop like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode