StromTrooper banner

Old guy issues

6K views 41 replies 31 participants last post by  ToothDocJay 
#1 ·
ok the seat on my 05 dl1000 is numbing my junk! :crying2:
the bike has 90,000 miles on it and i am sure the stock seat foam is worn out but OMYGOD! my junk is numb after just a short 1 hour ride.
Anyone else have this problem?

#2 ·
All sorts of people have had this. They buy new seats, or have one rebuilt.
There are plenty of threads here on the subject, and vendors are all over the place.
Enjoy that ride!

#3 ·
Numb junk isn't good for anybody! Definitely lots and lots of workarounds for this. Go cheap and then expensive. Try those wooden ball things you see all the cab drivers use.

#5 ·
thanks for the replays, i think i was venting more than anything. i did pickup one of the Coleman ATV cushions at Walmart and it helped a little but i think the seat form is just broken down allowing me (and my junk) getting a little to tight :)
Also i am missing two of the rubber blocks on the bottom of the seat. i have a guy that can fix mine but i think i will get a saddle for it :)

#7 ·
I don't know what you wear when you ride, but if you wear jeans, don't. Jeans made the problem even worse for me. Anything over a quick ride to the store, I wear my riding pants. They're cut better for riding. If you don't like riding pants, you can try something like Firehose Pants from Duluth Trading Company; they have a gusset crotch that won't cause as much pressure as regular jeans.

I've had Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome most of my adult life, and riding can trigger an attack. When it does, I use this homemade pressure relief seat, that I made from a yoga mat. When I'm not using the homemade seat pad, I use an Airhawk.

Attachments

#8 ·
i wear heavy jeans in the summer but i have never tried the Duluth but i will give them a try also. thanks

#9 ·
IM921 - there's no such thing as a cheap tool, and that goes for a good seat too. It's one thing to "pad" your seat. It's something completely different to have a custom seat redistribute your weight as well as secure your seating position. I know the price of a custom seat is high, but I wish I would have gotten mine sooner. If you're not comfortable sitting on the bike, you'll find something else to do besides go riding. I bought a Russel Day Long. I'd recommend looking into them.

#16 ·
old

Will be 71 in five days and have went down in miles a year to 20.000 but still ride every day.About the only thing I can still do as good as when young is tell a tale or ride all day.Thats one reason I love my Wee and use it for solo tour now.Stand up is the key to long days for me.My plain jane low bar sportster was all so perfect to stand up on while riding.I do it more often than my other old friends.We often do 600+ days.The longest day for me on the wee A 900+ day back from eight days in Colorado in 015. Stand ,eat less,and drink more water is still my key for all day.
As for the dead :crying2: feeling it goes away fast after a two minute stand.About the rubber blocks.My 011 lost two of them but the 09 I got at a good price for future and front wheel for my 011 had perfect intack rubber blocks?Is that a common thing that the older ones stayed on better? It does seem better on num nuts deal so maybe they serve more than just keeping the seat up?

#19 ·
I believe some of it is in the pants you're wearing (jeans are not good for long rides, especially if tight). I don't have much trouble with my riding/touring pants.
But it's also the seat and your riding position. For me, I installed the SW-Motech bar back risers. A subtle change, 30mm rise and 21mm back, but it helped me to sit back a bit more and helps prevent numbness in a way.
Fwiw, I've been running the stock seat on my '16 but decided to take a chance on the Beadrider (pictured below) before a recent trip even though I couldn't see how they could work other than the cooling factor. The result; they worked well for both me and my son (he is on an '06 Wee) for a 3500 mile trip the last month. I was really surprised.
Two other things that help and old guy (me!) are the footpeg lowering kit from AdventureTech and some clamp on highway pegs.

As mentioned above, standing occasionally really helps the legs.

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
Certain that they make "poor excuse for a man" sizes.:grin2:

I don't mean skin tight, just jeans made from stretch denim. They were a revelation to me when I wore them on the bike. Apart from making me look incredibly sexy, (isn't self delusion wonderful?), they are simply comfortable as all hell.

I remember years ago, back in the 90's, when, and I blush a little here, I was in the Harley Owners Group. A lady, who actually ran a brothel, told me that the most comfortable she had ever been on a bike was with stretch jeans ( yes they only made them for women then) and no knickers. Didn't rub on the girly bits without the knickers she said. Yes, I did ask if I could check she was telling the truth.:grin2:

PS, the blush was about the HOG, not the rest.:wink2:

Coops.

#28 · (Edited)
My wife would like to castrate me sometimes. lol

My 650 stock seat did that from day one. The 6 month old 1000 is still good at 6500 miles so far. I did put one of them Sit n Fly's on to prevent swamp butt. :bom_bigcry:

#24 ·
beads and air

Like lots of you have tried lots of stuff if not too high price on trips and every day to work.The beads and air both did ok. Beads came apart and all over the road! :surprise:The real small bubble wrap I did put around stuff when the wife went.We never camp when she goes but all most 100% when solo with the other old guys. If her rear started hurting a little a layer of bubble wrap seems to ease it even more so it put under at first sign of it. My new 01 Nomad had by far the best seats of any bike ever owned.She would go 150 between gas stops and never a sound.She called it ...The Buick..Was only bike I ever did a 1000 mile day on.A 1030 in 01 on way back from Sturgis SD.. I still stood some on it.
Wife did not like that so would just brace my feet hard against the boards and raise butt up a few inches and hold awhile when she was on.Not as good as a stand but close.Work the legs and move all you can and you just may out last the young guys.:grin2:

#25 ·
LOL. I dont think thats just an old guy issue:grin2: I know how you feel with the stock seat. Have you tried an Airhawk pad? Its an inexpensive way to get a very comfortable seat. Its an airpad that straps on top of your seat with egg carton like air cells that allow air to flow between that helps keep the bum cooler and dryer. You fill with little air, just enough so your backside barely touches the seat.

Ive used the airhawk on a couple of Iron Butt rides (1000 miles in 19 hours) and very comfortable.

#26 ·
We spend thousands on bike parts and things that don't really matter but ignore the things that really do. After 150 miles or so my a$$ would be on fire. Nothing mattered after that, not even the bike itself. I tried all those cheap fixes and nothing really worked like I wanted. I finally broke down got an RDL and will say it was "my" best bang for the buck on this bike, although it wasn't cheap. I can now ride without even thinking about my a$$.
Just say'n!

#29 ·
Step 1 - As mentioned, stop wearing jeans, start wearing riding pants.

Step 2 - Airhawk

Step 3 - Accept that while your bike does get 200 miles to the tank, you really should be off the bike and stretching every hour/ hour and a half.

I have done many, many, many blasts from FL to MI, and it was only when I accepted these three truths that I stopped being damn near crippled on arrival.

#33 ·
WOW! thanks for all the replies.
work has keep me busy and i am just now getting back to this.
i did try the loose jeans and that helped a lot. i also have the same ATV seat cushion someone else posted a picture of and that also helped. 2" pull back risers on the way along with braided brake lines and clutch line. i am pricing seats now. the cheap side of me found a used corbin but it is for an 2003 and mine is a 2005. i will have to check for fitment. thanks again for the support! (get it? Support?)
:)

#40 ·
Seat should be the same. I found a used Corbin and love it. One thing to think about though is that they are very firm and take some getting used to. They are also pretty wide. The width is good for support but they are also wider near the front. I was able to flat foot with the stock seat and am on tip toes with the Corbin.
Remember when you put the risers on to make sure electrical wiring is free to move. Some of the retainers for the electrical do not allow enough movement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.