My turn to do water pump seal (sigh) - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-01-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
My turn to do water pump seal (sigh)

Some time in the past 2-3 months, I started finding small amounts of coolant on the ground after parking the bike. We're talking about maybe a teaspoon, at most, directly below the weep tube coming off the front of the water pump (#11 in this diagram: 2007 Suzuki V-Strom (DL1000) WATER PUMP | PartsOutlaw.com).

From what I've been reading, this means the seal (#3 in the water pump diagram linked above) needs replacement.

While I'm in there, I'm thinking I might as well rebuild the thing, replacing relatively cheap wear items like:

4 OIL SEAL, 09283-10005

6 BEARING, WATER PUMP, 09262-10016 (there are two of these, if I understand correctly)

and top it off with a new gasket:

5 O RING, 17435-02F00

and of course inspect the shaft of:

2 IMPELLER, 17491-16G00

for any scoring/advanced wear.

How long can I put this off? Since I need to drain the oil, I might as well coordinate the job with my next oil change, due in about 2000 miles (~32500 miles overall). I have a jug of Zerex Asian 50/50 standing by to top off the coolant reservoir whenever it gets low.

I have fresh tubes & seals for the rest of the cooling system standing by, just haven't done the work because nothing else is leaking (yet!) and everything but the radiator outlet hose (#3 from the radiator diagram Suzuki Motorcycle Parts 2007 DL1000 RADIATOR HOSE Diagram) is kind of a pain to swap. I have a new #2 hose, pair of #9 O-rings, and #6 inlet connector hoses standing by as well, given those are all rubber items that are going to be degraded after 10 years. So, might as well do the whole job at once.

Do I have that right? Anything else I should replace, on the principle of it being a hassle to get to it again later?

Given the notoriously long lead time for ordering motorcycle parts, I better go ahead and put my order in soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-01-2017, 08:42 PM
Moderator++

Garage
Since you plane to replaces all that, you should be fine waiting for the next oil change.
DesertBike likes this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014+ DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012+ DL650s
See http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #3 of 13 Old 06-01-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I realized I left something out: might need to replace the clutch cover gasket. Depends on how much it sticks to the rest of the engine.

Or is RTV good enough? I have a tube of the gray Permatex RTV stuff that meets Ford specs for sealing the cover on an 8.8" rear differential, front crankshaft oil seal, and a few other places.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-01-2017, 09:01 PM
Moderator++

Garage
Get the gasket.
DesertBike likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-01-2017, 09:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Agreed. You will definitely need the clutch cover gasket. It will not be re-usable.
DesertBike likes this.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening
post #6 of 13 Old 06-01-2017, 10:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
#3 is a pain! fought with that bugger for an hour...
DesertBike likes this.

'08 DR650, '07 DL1000
"And anyways, if they don't have motorcycles in heaven, I'd rather go to hell. I'm pretty sure they will have loads of them there." (deelip, 2016)
post #7 of 13 Old 06-01-2017, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Oh joy, I can't wait.

Seems like the main problem the one guy (Black Lab Adventures) had was getting that #3 seal out.

I don't have a proper bearing puller, BUT, I have zero issue with buying a reasonable substitute tool at Horrible Freight. Or wherever. Any tips on the tool that works best?

The proper Suzuki tool is out of the question of course, at $559 (!).

Just realized this is my big chance to check for the dread Clutch Chudder Monster. Oh joy.

Last edited by DesertBike; 06-01-2017 at 11:22 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-02-2017, 01:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Double check your hose clamps before buying parts. I had the same symptoms years ago and have yet to replace the water pump. Any coolant leaks have been hoses or clamps.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-02-2017, 03:05 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

The reason you want a new gasket, besides the obvious fact that some of the original will stick to the engine case while the rest will stick to the cover and leave that mess, is that the water ports have a bead of sealant around them on a new OEM gasket. While a slight seep of oil from re-using the old gasket might be tolerable, allowing coolant into the oil is NOT! Don't buy the ebay gaskets for about $12, these are not OEM and have NO sealant around the water ports and do not have the graphite coating the OEM gasket has. This graphite coating allows the gasket to seat better and allows installation WITHOUT using gasket sealer on it. Yes, install the OEM gasket dry.

As for inspecting for clutch chudder, about the only thing you can see without taking the basket apart is how much movement it has. With the cover off, grab the basket with two hands and twist back and forth. There should be very little play in it. Watch the relationship between the steel gear on the back of the basket and the aluminum basket assembly. If it moves significantly you can bet there is internal wear.
DesertBike likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields for 2012+ DL 650-transform your V strom. Nothing compares.
Have questions about the Quiet Ride or clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com
post #10 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
See that's interesting, because the genuine Suzuki clutch cover gasket was about $12. Plus a little change if you include shipping (Partsoutlaw.com has a SMOKIN' deal on shipping). So yeah, of course I got an OEM part.

I replaced the stator cover gasket when I replaced the stator a few months back. As you say, the genuine Suzuki gasket was a breeze to install. No leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode