Decel Shake - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 05-15-2017, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Decel Shake

Disclaimer*** Before people jump in and start the whole use the search function. Yeah, I know I checked and found a ton of info but no real plausible resolution.

So like a few others I have the weird, when you take your hands off the bars there is a pretty solid bar shimmy that actually increases the long you don't damper the bars with your hands. I feel like at 70 and as the bike slows down it COULD actually build into a tank slapper.

Things I have done so far.
1. Dissembled and reassembled the entire front end
2. Added a fork brace
3. Checked rotors and are straight
4. Checked and tightened steering stem bearings. They were a little loose
5. Replaced both tires
6. Played around a ton with tire pressures from 28- 42...NOPE

When I replaced the tires for about 400 Miles the shake was gone and I was convinced it was fixed

suspension re-sprung for my porky exterior, ROX up and back riser, pro taper fat bars, brake upgrade. (Just a few variable for FYI)

I searched a lot and found others having the same problem but not many stated the fix. Some the replaced the tires and it went away. That did not work for me. Some say it's the characteristic of the bike that it's the cylinders still chugging along on decal. (That one sounds kinda weird to me)

I want to fix this issue, but I am starting to run short on ideas. Plus I want this thread to useful for others that documents the problem, steps, finding, and the actual solution to be useful for others.

Greywolf? I am summoning your legendary powers of "V" knowledge. (Please and thank you)

"Ride it like you stole it!"

Last edited by Zenoches; 05-15-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 05-15-2017, 08:59 AM
Moderator++

Garage
The usual reasons are loose steering head bearings or the front tire. When you changed the tire did you change brands? Some brands cause wobble. The original Tourance and maybe some later ones as well and the Conti Road Attack and Trail Attack tires are known to cause wobble even when new.
notacop and Zenoches like this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014+ DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012+ DL650s
See http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #3 of 39 Old 05-15-2017, 09:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

I get a little with my Shinklo's but usually I will not have both hands off the bars.
I know the desire to relax one's position or stretch for a moment gets strong. I use a Go Cruise to have the bike maintain velocity.
Lotsa guys get a Rostra cruise control for highway use.
Sounds like you've done all the necessary stuff that normally affects oscillation.
Zenoches likes this.

post #4 of 39 Old 05-15-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
The usual reasons are loose steering head bearings or the front tire. When you changed the tire did you change brands? Some brands cause wobble. The original Tourance and maybe some later ones as well and the Conti Road Attack and Trail Attack tires are known to cause wobble even when new.
There was OEM style Trailwings on it, them slapped some Shinko 705's (The H Rated ones) on there. And about 400 miles rolled so smoothly.

My buddy just messaged me with an idea. We mark on the rim where we place the wheel weight when balancing them. So reminded me to look and see if the weights are still there. Probably would wobble all the time if I lost one, but worth a look as I am running out of ideas.

post #5 of 39 Old 05-15-2017, 09:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

I dunno, I used to change my own tires and didn't balance them and didn't have wobble. That was not on a Wee Strom though.
H rated, is that the Radial or Bias ply? Seems they make both. Some folks have had issues with the bias ply, like cracks between the blocks.
That may be a factor?
post #6 of 39 Old 05-15-2017, 09:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I'll just throw this out there:
On my cruiser, the rear tire pressure would/will cause this condition. But maybe swingarm bushings or something else in the rear not quite right?

1986 XS650
2002 T100
2005 RSTD
2009 DL650
1965 T120SR

The Best Bike is the Bike You Like
post #7 of 39 Old 05-15-2017, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
I dunno, I used to change my own tires and didn't balance them and didn't have wobble. That was not on a Wee Strom though.
H rated, is that the Radial or Bias ply? Seems they make both. Some folks have had issues with the bias ply, like cracks between the blocks.
That may be a factor?

They make the 705's in three series now it seems
Bias-ply (Not front and rear specific)
V- Rated which are F/R specific but with a lower load rating at max speed rating
H- Rated which are F/R specific and are highest load rating and heighted speed at Max pressure rating.

I chose to go with the H rated do to my overall stature, HAHAHA

My buddy reminded that last year on my supermoto rims I actually threw a weight and had a weight wobble, but that wobble was at all speeds and all the time. We got new wheel weight and my supermotos were the first ones we used the weight. But it made us weary about the adhesive working. So I think that's why he is mentioning it. I am skeptical that it's a thrown weight but I am willing to look to fix the wobble.

Last edited by Zenoches; 05-15-2017 at 10:01 AM.
post #8 of 39 Old 05-15-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
I'll just throw this out there:
On my cruiser, the rear tire pressure would/will cause this condition. But maybe swingarm bushings or something else in the rear not quite right?
Please do throw it out there. I like this because it's a whole new train of thought for me. After checking for the wheel weight I will try changing just the rear tire pressure to see the cause and effect. I am trying to think of a way to check the swing arm bushing with out pulling everything apart. hmmm

post #9 of 39 Old 05-15-2017, 05:00 PM
$tromtrooper

Is it still the stock rear shock? How many miles on the bike?

Rich Desmond
'07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '99 SV650 (race bike), '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350, '08 Ducati 848
post #10 of 39 Old 05-15-2017, 10:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

I finally noticed in the owner manual 36 rear and 33 front was suggested for solo riding. I'd been setting it for 40 rear and 36 front like all the other bikes I've had in the last 10 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode