StromTrooper banner

Grease / oil? by the shifter (picture)

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Halisko 
#1 ·
Just found an area by the shifter with some oil or some kind of grease. Any ideas what it can be? Not leaking from the oil plug what I can see.

Could it be chain lube or?

Thanks!

2002 DL-1000

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like it's time to take off the front sprocket cover and clean out the accumulated dirt and grease from the chain...DAMHIK, lol
I ride a DL650 but there should not be any real difference between the models as far as collecting dirt/grease...YMMV

#4 ·
It's most likely chain lube but can be clutch fluid or a weeping clutch pushrod seal too. Keeping the area clean will extend the life of the clutch pushrod seal. See Clean Out front sprocket area!

#5 ·
It's most likely chain lube but can be clutch fluid or a weeping clutch pushrod seal too. Keeping the area clean will extend the life of the clutch pushrod seal. See link

Hope it´s only chain lube then. I will clean that area so I can have an eye on it so there are no leaks. If I understand the instructions in the link I just have to zip-tie the clutch lever pressed against the handlebar, then remove the clutch cylinder (no need to drain the fluid first) and from there remove the sprocket cover, correct? While I´m doing this, you think I should replace the pushrod seal or clean first and see if that´s all?

One more thing, there was supposed to be grease applied, is that on the pin/rod marked in the attached image?

Attachments

#6 ·
Don't zip tie the clutch lever to the bar, zip tie the slave cylinder piston flush with the housing. Don't replace the push rod seal yet, but be sure you leave it in the seal while you are cleaning that area. Once you are finished cleaning all around, then take out the push rod and clean it good.

#7 ·
While you're busy around there, two other things to watch out for.

A known issue on older DL1000s is the slave cylinder seal leaking. Check the clutch fluid level at the clutch handlebar reservoir and if it's slowly but surely lowering, you definitely have a leak. In my case, if I applied the clutch, the slave cylinder would sound bubbly - as if you are squeezing the last bit of shampoo out of a bottle. You may want to check and replace the seal, or even the whole slave cylinder assembly if either the cylinder or the piston is too pitted. In case of a leak, by the way, the fluid seeping out might just be DOT4. Which can ruin paint, plastic and whatnot. So be careful.

And also take a look at the cavity just in front of, and below the sprocket. Usually there's a bit of gasket protruding which forms sort of a dam. Which means that it's harder for any collected fluid in there to reach the drain hole. You can remove that bit of gasket with a sharp knife.

#11 ·
Wow, it sure was pretty ugly behind that cover. Thought I would share a before and after picture. Perhaps I could have cleaned it a bit more but I guess it will be easier next time...this took a few hours hehe.

The slave cylinder was a bit dirty inside, I cleaned it carefully as well. For next time, is it worth to disassemble it and do an overhaul?

Thanks for all the awesome help!!

Attachments

#13 ·
I always tie my clutch lever to the bar before taking the slave off, never had a problem in 8 years, but it doesn't matter, as long as it works for you.

Now that you have it all cleaned up inside, ride it a few days or a week then pull the cover off again and see if there is any oil leaking from the rubber seal where the pushrod goes in, or from the main shaft behind the front sprocket.

Both of those seals are easy to replace and cost almost nothing in materials.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.