Crashed... Fix fairings or go naked? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 04-18-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Unhappy Crashed... Fix fairings or go naked?

So I rear ended a guy last week... Not alot of damage, just a bruise on my leg for me, but the whole front subframe got bent and the left side fairings are all broken. I have looked on ebay, but the fairings are all pretty expensive. I am considering my options in terms of getting it back on the road, so I'd love to hear y'alls opinions on the best road forward.

This is my first post here in quite a while as I was busy getting married. As such, I now have a monthly budget and someone that says no when I want to buy stuff for my motorcycles...

I commute on the highway, so a front windscreen is a requirement, so if I go "naked", I have to replace the front with some kind of screen/wind block.

The pic below doesn't look like there's much damage, but the dash apron is shattered, and most all the mount points are broken off.

Anyway, what are y'alls thoughts?

Here's a pic for you's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170418_073307.jpg (94.0 KB, 199 views)

2002 DL1000: 75k miles. Bought at 50k miles.
1992 XJ600: Red, Very custom.
2002 Vespa ET4 150: The wife's ride.

Last edited by Nelsonmd; 04-18-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-18-2017, 06:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Did you have it inspected? is it safe to ride? Your insurance didn't cover it?

If is OK to ride, I would get started replacing things, get it all back together and sell it. Buy a new one.

If your insurance won't cover it, it will cost you more, but I would still say fix it up. Nobody will want to buy an obviously smashed bike.
post #3 of 27 Old 04-18-2017, 07:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Did you get the front forks checked? Doesn't take much to bend them.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

2015 VSTROM 650 X ABS EXP
Previous rides: 2012 KLX250S, 2006 VT1100C2, 2002 KX125, 1999 SV650, 1987 GPZ305
Bikes I wish I had: Ducati 916, Harley Road King, KTM 500 EXC, BMW R1200RT, Honda CRF1000L, BMW R75
post #4 of 27 Old 04-18-2017, 07:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

See what you can find on ebay. 2002 may be a bit difficult but there must be stuff out there. If you can't find 2002 see if you can replace some of the parts with later versions, need to check parts numbers to see if they would fit.

Ask if anybody has grafted a 2003 or newer front end to the 2002. It all comes off with just 2 bolts. As long as you can fit you original instrument panel, not sure if that is the same size/ shape, it would be an easy change and then you have a lot of options for screens etc. much easier than finding a good screen for the 2002 I would think.

If nothing works also check for salvage auctions. You may be lucky to get a bike that has the missing items you need.

In the meantime epoxy the broken parts back together. That buys you time to hunt for the parts you need. My used 2004 WEE was a re-built salvage and I replaced the tank and the left cover over time with less damaged parts. Now there are normally plenty of used parts given the age of these bikes.

Last edited by blaustrom; 04-18-2017 at 08:03 PM.
post #5 of 27 Old 04-18-2017, 09:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

" Nobody will want to buy an obviously smashed bike."

Not so, I got a slightly bent Wee from Iamsmiling. Great price though. still a WIP
When I crashed my 04 Wee I found new parts on line and got used stuff from some good members here. Take your time if you can and you will find stuff.
Bugzy likes this.
post #6 of 27 Old 04-18-2017, 11:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

If it is safe to ride / and you need it to get to work / patch up the instrument mounts with some aluminum strips and pop rivets. You can do the same thing with any flapping fairing parts, aluminum straps held with pop rivets. Ugly (that keeps you riding to work while you source all the parts) is beautiful.
notacop likes this.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '02 BMW K1200rs, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT
post #7 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 08:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

NVDucati has seen my dash surround! The instrument cluster mounts had all broken off but some JB Weld made them all better again.
Guy at work used to Duck Tape the fenders back on his VW bug. Don't be so picky!
post #8 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 08:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
A 2K2 DL1000 with 75K does not have a ton of value. In mint condition, retail value is just over 3K. Since your bike was crashed and you are not a dealer, you can never expect to get that kind of money.

My advice is to ensure the bike is safe to ride. If it is safe or can be fixed relatively cheap, then do so and ride it. Forget the "pretty factor" unless you can find someone selling parts cheap. Of course this is just my opinion.

If it is not safe to ride and will cost more than 2K to get you there, find a used one and keep this one for parts.
jrb_nw likes this.

What I ride now:
2013 Honda GoldWing (The Lady)
2014 V-strom 650 (The Mistress)
Previously: 07 Ultra Classic, 95 Softail, 80 gs450l

Last edited by vinnyvavoom; 04-19-2017 at 08:38 AM. Reason: spelling/grammer
post #9 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 08:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

If you are keeping it I would go naked. I'd love a strom with a traditional round headlight and no fairing.
Cryoman likes this.
post #10 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 09:42 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyvavoom View Post
A 2K2 DL1000 with 75K does not have a ton of value. In mint condition, retail value is just over 3K. Since your bike was crashed and you are not a dealer, you can never expect to get that kind of money.

My advice is to ensure the bike is safe to ride. If it is safe or can be fixed relatively cheap, then do so and ride it. Forget the "pretty factor" unless you can find someone selling parts cheap. Of course this is just my opinion.

If it is not safe to ride and will cost more than 2K to get you there, find a used one and keep this one for parts.
$3K? good luck, I have had an '09 with <30K miles in minty condition for sale @ $3500 for a couple of months.....no takers. Dealer offered $2500 on a trade for a DR650.....not gonna happen. The 1st Gen used market is depressed which is depressing for the sellers.....
griff010 likes this.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode