Got a DL1000 - Comfortable to ride, painful to handle - how to improve my ride? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 04-18-2017, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Got a DL1000 - Comfortable to ride, painful to handle - how to improve my ride?

Hi Guys,

I bought a VSTROM 1000 from 2004 with 102.000 KM on the clock for $AUD 1600. I was looking for a sporty tourer after a 12 year riding break. So I did not want to spend right away heaps of cash and then give up riding for good.

After doing probably 2000KM on the VSTROM I am surprised how comfortable it is doing long distance rides. I bought a '98 YZF600R for my wife and after riding it for >3 hours I am basically dead.

But what I don't like on my VSTROM is the explosive throttle response. In 1st and 2nd gear I have to twist my wrist 1mm and it jumps. No way of going through a roundabout even in the 2nd gear with heavy clutch involvement. Is that the normal throttle response and is it that hard to dosage?

Another problem is engine vibration and stomping. Like going through a roundabout in the 2nd gear around 2 - 3000 rpm is just painful. I can almost feel when each cylinder goes up and down, pushing the bike like a pushbike. The sweet spot is from 4 - 6000 RPM with almost no vibration and then it gets uncomfortable again.

This is my first 2cylinder bike, so all of that might be what is to expect. So I am asking you guys here, how your VSTROMs perform in these situation.

Also the bike got a large anout of Ks on the odometer, my plan is to take it to the service. Also found with a friend that throttle bodies at idle are out of sync a bit. But failed adjusting as it really hard to get on the adjustment screws if you don't have the right tools.

What are the thoughts here and what should be looked at for such an old VSTROM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-18-2017, 04:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have a 2006 DL1000 77k on clock and I experience the same issues. I usually stay in 2nd and just go around a bit faster to keep the motor running. If you are an inexperienced rider then I suggest that you slow down and go through in first gear.
It's all about developing a safe handling technique for you and the bike. Where in Aus are you. Dave
post #3 of 26 Old 04-18-2017, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oily View Post
I have a 2006 DL1000 77k on clock and I experience the same issues. I usually stay in 2nd and just go around a bit faster to keep the motor running. If you are an inexperienced rider then I suggest that you slow down and go through in first gear.
It's all about developing a safe handling technique for you and the bike. Where in Aus are you. Dave
Hi Dave, thanks for your reply! I am in Sydney, the other end

post #4 of 26 Old 04-18-2017, 05:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

As your bike has quite a few klm do you find the clutch is rattlely and stops when you pull the clutch in. If so you may need to replace the clutch basket which makes a huge difference to the bike.
post #5 of 26 Old 04-18-2017, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

If I pull the clutch like in the 1st gear, waiting at traffic light, I can clear hear it rattling. It also adds vibrations. Sounds pretty bad but had not really any issues where I could blame it for.

Can well imagine that it makes the ride smoother. How much is a new clutch basket and where to order for the right price?
post #6 of 26 Old 04-18-2017, 05:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

Get the clutch basket rebuilt. Search for "Realshelby" on this forum. A new basket is only a temporary fix, the rebuild adds an extra bearing surface to stop the whirling that makes life so unbearable.
Big B and Lrobby99 like this.
post #7 of 26 Old 04-18-2017, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Seems "Realshelby" is located in Texas. Anyone known here in Australia who does basket mods?
post #8 of 26 Old 04-18-2017, 06:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

Not as far as I know. It's a fairly clever mod and he's been doing this for DL's and SV's for years. Worst case, buy the new clutch, install it and send the old one to Texas, in six months when the new one starts shuddering you'll be good to go.
post #9 of 26 Old 04-18-2017, 07:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Similar mileage when I got mine, but a completely and professionally rebuilt engine (clutch failure threw debris throughout). Clutch basket upgrade, new head bearings, new tires (Shinko 705), sag adjustment, and pulling about a pound of bugs out of the K&N made all the difference in overall feel and especially low speed handling. Still need to check the valves and go through the fuel system. Biggest single improvement was the clutch basket. Causing more stress and strain on me than I realized!

50 miles from DGMR
2004 DL1000
2009 Versys 650
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400
post #10 of 26 Old 04-18-2017, 10:03 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holger Banko View Post
Seems "Realshelby" is located in Texas. Anyone known here in Australia who does basket mods?

Don't know of anyone doing the modified baskets down under. But I do ship there frequently. Australia/New Zealand is my number one international country for WERKS clutch baskets! Your symptoms sound very much like the basket you have is badly worn and acting up. I have some good info on how they behave and how to test them on my website HERE

Let me know if you have any questions.
Big B likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields for 2012+ DL 650-transform your V strom. Nothing compares.
Have questions about the Quiet Ride or clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode