StromTrooper banner

Thinking of buying an '05 DL1000

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  OneGun 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've been perusing these forums keenly, and it's great to see such an interactive community. I've been hoping to find an affordable V-Strom for a while, and finally found an '05 KL1000 with about 18,000 miles listed for $4,500. The current, second owner has only put about 1,500 miles on it, and it sounds immaculately maintained with full service records (going to see it in person on Friday). All stock, except for 1) windscreen, 2) crash bar (I think), and 3) a skid plate. The current owner isn't sure if the ECU was treated to fix the fueling issue at low RPMs, but he's never noticed any jerkiness or other symptoms down in the rev range, so he suspects it was done and is going to check the records in detail.

Oh, and it comes with the three-set of Suzuki hard luggage. Now, it seems like these bikes are legendary for their reliability, and I haven't found any consistent issues with them other than the fueling and perhaps buffeting issues. Is there anything else I should know or be aware of? I'm very excited!

As an FYI, I currently own at '02 SV650S and an '05 Boulevard M50. Thanks very much in advance for any tips and responses, and I'm sincerely hoping I get to be a 'true' member of this forum soon!

Cheers

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I have this bike except for being MY2006
The miles are sure low, price a little high IMHO.
I have the same luggage too. The locking mechanism on the top box eventually flew apart.
I didn't know these had "fueling issues".
But their luggish behavior at low RPM's is legendary and has several fixes.
I opted for the 16/41 ratio change and like it fine.
Probably the original fork oil.
Don't expect the greatest braking in the world either.
Beyond that, great motorcycle.
Cheers back.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply! Not concerned about the braking issues, given that the Boulevard also has lousy brakes. Hoping to upgrade to EBC pads and braided lines at some point, if I get it. Interesting re. the price: he's listed for $4,500 so I'm hoping to bargain him down a little, but that seems a fair price to me given 1) the condition and 2) the fact that I rarely see any affordable Strom 1000's up for sale. Thanks again!

#6 ·
Personally I wouldn't get a first gen 1000, they are just such finicky machines and need constant fiddling/upgrades in order to stay running right. You also have the issue with shifting and breaking rotor magnets, but the under stressed engine is very capable of major miles. Consider a 2009 and up 650 or a new 1000, you will likely be happier overall and out riding and smiling more. My 2 cents, and from a guy who has owned 2 1000's.......

#7 ·
The seller will have one heck of a time getting $4k for it.

It might be all my clean living and good decision making, but my k6 has been awfully good to me for going on 7 years now.
But there are known bugs and the stator magnets and the chudder rank high on the list.
Shiny side up.

#8 ·
I sold my 2004 for $3k Canadian and it had a lot of stuff on it, similar to this one, the racks were there but no bags, and it also had 55k miles on it. I tried it at 4k and had one guy look at it but he balked at the mileage.

I hate dicking around with stuff like this so just sold it cheap. The new owner was very happy and so was I.

Offer him $3500 and see if he considers it. He might be like me and just happy to unload it.

#9 ·
I personally like to buy used stuff in excellent condition. They cost more but are good machines and look like new while selling for thousands of dollars less. I am willing to pay a premium for good machines and suggest that a premium price for a premium machine is likely worth the cost. Paying a few hundred more for an excellent bike is worth it to my mind.
I have the '06 version of the bike and love it. Contrary to other opinions on the matter, my Vee just runs and runs. If I'd leave it alone it would go nearly forever without even touching it, now that I have the mixture under control. There are a lot of things that Vees are not, but what they are is a great all-around bike that will last nearly forever and a lot of fun to ride. Fast enough to be fun and comfortable enough for long trips. Even track days are fun with it. I've had mine for 8 years and still love it.

#15 ·
I agree with you. I think it's okay to pay a little more for a machine that has clearly been very well cared for, within reason. Glad to hear about your experience so far, I hope I have the same luck! How different are the 05 and 06 (assuming yours is a 1000)? Any significant issues?

#11 ·
If you can come with a few more thousand, look for a used '14 1000. Much better bike than the old 1000. I'm betting you'll see them coming on the market this spring and summer for around $7K.
If not, then I would recommend the 650. I sold my second gen 650 for around $4.5, with some farkles. Both generations of the 650 are better than the first gen 1000, IMO. The second gen 1000 is the best yet, though. Love this freakin bike. Gettin all tingly just thinking about it.

#13 ·
Thanks very much for everyone's input. What's the issue with the rotor magnets? My reading, on this site and elsewhere, was that those 1000s don't really have any fundamental issues other than the fueling--so the rotor magnets mention is a bit of a surprise to me.

I sadly don't have the capacity to go up to $7k or so. It's just not something I can justify, and this process has basically? been a waiting game to find a well maintained, relatively low mileage specimen that I could get for low money. Which basically necessarily means going way older than a '14. And, I know a lot of people prefer the 650 over the 1000, but I do a lot of highway riding and one of my main reasons for upgrading is to get a bigger engined bike with more top end. Not to say that the 650 isn't perfectly capable, but I don't want to invest money in something that might feel lacking: especially with luggage/pillion.

I test rode the bike today, and I thought it was a blast. Size was intimidating at first but got used to it immediately, low down torque was VERY fun, and the aftermarket windscreen kept all wind off me. I'm personally pretty sold on it...

Thank you again everyone! I'll do some more digging on this rotor magnet issue.

#16 ·
Update: I checked out the bike in person and took it for a ride, and fell in love. I get it on Wednesday, and I am SO excited. Thanks for everyone's input: I know the price may seem high to some, but I personally felt it was a fair price for a very well-cared for machine. And the seller was pretty firm about what his floor was.

Expect more questions from me as issues arise... :) thanks again! If anyone's around the PA/NJ/DE area (apart from V Strom Thom, who already reached out) and wants to take a ride, let me know!

#17 ·
I paid $3900 for an 05' with 12,500 miles. Don't worry too much about the price you paid. It depends on the area and inventory available. I'd pay a little more for a clean, low mileage bike. Here's some issues I've had with mine you may want to watch out for:
1. Runs lean in the mid range RPM (3000-4500). Fix was a used Power Commander 3 for $100
2. Throttle body sync was off and needed to be calibrated. Routine fix by dealer or do it yourself if you have the skills and tools.
3. Loose rotor magnets. Found it was not reliably charging the battery. JB Weld fix found on this site fixed the problem(assuming your magnets are not broke). Do it as a preventative measure before they do.
4. TBS I believe its called? A sensor that measures throttle body position went bad and caused it to die at stops after extended riding at freeway speeds. Replaced and all good since.

Once you iron out some of the more common issues, the bike is a joy to ride.

#18 ·
Is there a consensus out there on what are the good years/bad years for the 1000?????

It seems like there are mods for each year to fix design/maintenance issues....

Is there a chart/reference article on what years needed what mods????

thanx.......i have to find one before my wife makes me buy a stupid lawn tractor.....lol

#21 ·
Is there a consensus out there on what are the good years/bad years for the 1000?????
There's no such thing as consensus on a motorcycle forum (or any forum for that matter). From what I've ready, many feel that the newer (MY 14 and up) DL1000's are less prone to problems, but that doesn't mean that every older gen Vee will have issues. It just means, like anything else mass-produced, that if you do have issues, that likely others will have the same.

Nevertheless, those bikes have been in the market for years and as you'll see/read here and elsewhere, reliable fixes are available and not too cost/labor intensive, for the most part.

Personally, I'd rather go with a well maintained older Vee than pay an extra 2-4k (or more) for a newer model.

Not a fan of the looks of the newer gen Vee's, either, but that's just my opinion.

Congrats to the OP on the new rig. See you on the road (or off it)!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.