StromTrooper banner

Possible new DL1000 needs advice

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Motor7 
#1 ·
Found this add on Craigslist.....waiting for snow to melt before checking it out....

It has mods and farkles........are there anything else that should be done to this bike?

Does the mileage bother anybody?

Thanks for any guidance
30k miles $4200

Better than new, exellent condition, adult owned, never down, all needed modifications, high quality oils used, many farkels.
Power comander, Leo Vince exhaust, skid plate, clutch mod. 4 piston fr. Brakes, fork brace, springs, racetech fork revalve, new chain & sprockets, protaper bars, high clearance fender, corbin seat, Givi panniers, top box, crashbars, two wind screens, moose footpegs, folding shift lever, Metzler Tourance 90%, all original parts saved. luggage options
Don't buy a stock Vstrom and spend big $ to make it right!

#2 ·
The mileage is not an issue. There is a Vee out there with over 400,000 miles on it with no major work, just scheduled maintenance. The bike is set up to do some off road work. the typical issues have been handled except for headlight relays which would be a good addition to head off future headlight problems. The Tourance tires may cause some head shake upon deceleration so don't let that worry you. The Leo Vince is louder than I would like but it may not bother you.

#4 ·
I am jealous. I just bought a very clean 03 with 22k miles but only exhaust and a few other minor parts. Now I am sinking the time and $$$ into modding and sorting everything out. Take it from me some of those mods are pretty big dollar...Buy it, ride it, love it!

#7 ·
Sounds like a winner. With all the stuff on it, its a real deal. I would be tempted to send the shock for service and maybe get it sprung for your weight and all the bags when loaded. That's another $325. 30k doesn't sound like much.

#12 ·
For a stock bike, the price might be a tad high; but, the add-ons more than make up for that. You must have about $3,000 worth of add-ons.

I had a 2003 and loved it. The 2005 was a better year for the big V.

I suspect you might be able to offer less than $4,200. It's worth a shot.

If you do buy it, supply some pics.

#11 ·
smithwd, Sounds like a nice bike. And with all those mods, that's not a seemingly overly high priced bike. Some folks think mods and farkles add to the price of the bike, but in actuality they almost never do. I bought my 08 off CL too. Just do your due diligence before handing over $$ -- like check that the VIN is the same on the title as on the bike, etc... If it isn't too far away, go see it while snow is on the ground. It is to your advantage to see it when the weather is bad. Did the owner do the mods or did a shop handle them? Not necessarily good/bad either way, just nice to know. And since the owner is providing all the original parts, you can return things to stock if you don't like them -- like the mufflers, for example. Let us know what you decide. And if/when you buy it, attach a photo of you and it to your posting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.