She isn't happy! choppy idle and stalling - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-18-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
She isn't happy! choppy idle and stalling

This seems to have just started. When the bike warms up, it starts to get real unhappy. The idle is very jumpy and won't stay in one spot. At times, it will fart and die. I checked the airbox and boots and all looks fine. a visual inspection doesn't show anything. I hooked up my homemade manometer and at idle, one cylinder has more pull; Also, one exhaust is hotter than the other. At higher RPM, the other has more pull. I have messed with the TBS and that's the closest I have been able to get it. Maybe I need to adjust the air screws as well... Last time I did a TBS, I also adjusted the TPS. I have read that these symptoms could be a faulty TPS.

See the video below to see how she is acting. 2006 1000 with 30k something miles. Poor girl has been stored outside since January, by the way. Thoughts? Thanks.

https://youtu.be/76U_j9aBhGY

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-18-2017, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Sounds like potential water/moisture in gas, did it run fine before it sat? Depending where was stored, also might want to make sure no mice have made a nest in the airbox.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Drill"

post #3 of 15 Old 03-18-2017, 11:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

"make sure no mice have made a nest in the airbox. "

Yah, my 4 Runner had a mouses in the air box recently. PITA. They eat wiring too, little buggers.

post #4 of 15 Old 03-19-2017, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
No mice in airbox as I had it opened up and all looked good. These are just symptoms of water in fuel? hm. It was running fine before, yes. It did sit for a couple weeks in the parking lot without me riding it. And it has been awfully rainy lately. Well, I will buy some Heet and throw it in the tank. Then I will order that cover I have been looking at. I will report back tomorrow or Monday with how it is running after putting some treatment in the tank.

Thanks Gentlemen.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-19-2017, 01:47 AM
Administrator

Heet is worth a try, but a tank drain might be in order. Don't thank us quite yet lol.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Drill"

post #6 of 15 Old 03-20-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Well folks, the jury is in. It is NOT water in the tank. I drained the tank (practically dry, had to push it to the gas station) and put in 2.5 gallons of fresh gas, rode it around for a few minutes, pulled back up to the storage unit, and poot poot poot she died. Sometimes it'll push through it and stay running or sometimes it dies. Are the farts technically a misfire?

So we ruled out airbox as I had it open and it was good.
I checked the vacuum lines (ones for a TBS) and they are good on both ends. The lines are fairly new anyway so they wouldn't be dry rotted by now.
Visual inspection of the TB boots looks fine. I assume if one of those popped off, it would be obvious.
There seems to be no noticeable lack of power, she still pulls hard.
Primary TBS should be close enough to not cause issues like this. right?
Secondary throttle bodies were removed many months ago. Didn't feel like trying to sync em.
Just ruled out bad gas or water in the gas with a fresh 2.5 gallons into a dry tank.
It seems to only really get bad when the bike warms up. odd. what could being warm have to do with anything?

The battery is in bad shape. I have to charge it every now and then. it likes to die. I haven't figured out if the battery won't take a charge or if the bike won't charge it... I will be replacing the battery soon regardless but should this be included in my diagnostics?

Spark plugs were changed not long after I got her. so.. a year ago? er. 10k miles ago. I have always felt like the bike was a bit out of sync. Maybe it is just me but I have always felt that way. Could it be that because of it being a bit off, it has wore out one plug and when it gets warm, it starts to miss? though an issue like this shouldn't just pop up out of no where.

I remember this starting one morning when I was very low on gas and it sat that way for at least a few days. I had to give it some gas for it to keep running. went to the station, filled up, and went to work and back (60 miles total) but I have been having these problems since then. I haven't rode it since that day except for testing to see if its any better.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-20-2017, 10:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
ok, so no science here, just seat of the pants stuff.

1. if you do NOT ride a bike, it WILL have problems. get out and give a really good long ride, like several hundred miles.

2. if it only happens when it's warm, maybe the fault is with an air temp sensor, which of course takes this whole thing waaaaaay over my pay grade.

'08 DR650, '07 DL1000
"And anyways, if they don't have motorcycles in heaven, I'd rather go to hell. I'm pretty sure they will have loads of them there." (deelip, 2016)
post #8 of 15 Old 03-21-2017, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee View Post
ok, so no science here, just seat of the pants stuff.

1. if you do NOT ride a bike, it WILL have problems. get out and give a really good long ride, like several hundred miles.

2. if it only happens when it's warm, maybe the fault is with an air temp sensor, which of course takes this whole thing waaaaaay over my pay grade.
I ride often. When I started my current job last year, it took them awhile to realize that I own a car too. It has been either really cold or raining lately which is why it has sat. Though I am not convinced she has a cold just because it has sat. something is wrong.. I will get to the bottom of it one way or another!

I will put that on the list of possible culprits but I do not know much about it.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-21-2017, 08:24 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

First your idle is way too low. The tachometer on these bikes reads lower than actual ( Mike Schmidt has checked several DL and SV tachs and swears they are all 100 or so rpm low at idle ) and raising the rpm on the tach to around 1300 rpm or slightly over cures all kinds of low rpm issues.

The manometer readings are really not all that far off, not enough to cause real issues.

I would still add that the throttle body boots may be an issue. I would check All the clamps, even loosen them and make sure the boot is in place before retightening them. This issue causes more problems than about any other when it comes to low rpm issues. Make SURE they are right, then you will know. Bad battery can do wierd things with these bikes, I would fix it now. Batteries don't heal and you just don't know when it won't even get you home after a jump. If everything else checks out, I would buy a new Throttle Position Sensor. These cannot be tested accurately, they tend to act up only when hot. They are a know issue, typically we see them causing problems after a higher speed ride in hot temps. Pull up to a stop sign and engine dies. May not want to run well when restarted. Cool down, and it runs fine.
Big B likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields for 2012+ DL 650-transform your V strom. Nothing compares.
Have questions about the Quiet Ride or clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com
post #10 of 15 Old 04-15-2017, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Evening, gentlemen. I haven't had much time to work on the bike but I have done a few things. I replaced the battery; it was quite old but wasn't the issue. I then took the airbox off to make sure the throttle body boots were secure. They seemed to be but there was one odd pinched looking spot on the rear one. I replaced the airbox and made sure all was secure. Stilll no luck. I put the bike in dealer mode to check TPS adjustment and it was high. I adjusted that to get it back on track but still no luck. bad TPS? The bike runs worse as it gets hot but the problem exists even when first started. Everything I have read about TPS says it acts up after a long ride. Surely its not spark plugs? I replaced those with iridium plugs maybe 10k miles ago. The problems seemed to just pop right up, not a gradual thing. Hm.

p.s. Sorry if anything is misspelled or doesn't make sense... its late. Thanks.

edit: oh and the reason idle was low was because it didn't want to keep running, not because idle was set low. bringing up the idle does not solve the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode