StromTrooper banner

Stator magnet trouble

4K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Schroederrr 
#1 ·
I was having problems with my bike dying. It wasn't often, definitely seemed like it was charging a bit but not enough and would eventually died. I had it die in gridlock on the freeway so when I got home I got a battery tender and started charging it overnight until I could open it up.

Over the weekend I started testing things with the voltmeter and it pointed to the stator. Today while doing my oil I figured I should open it now while it's empty. To my surprise, all the magnets were stuck to the stator coil and one is broken. I'm not sure how it was managing to gain any power from this. I tested the wires between the stator and the r/r and while it was obviously off, it did show some voltage.

My problem now is where do I get a new magnet? I just got a new to me engine (unknown mileage) put in early June and left the old with the shop. They're closed today but I'll head over there tomorrow morning when they open and pray they still have it and the magnets are good. When I opened the clutch cover and checked the filter on that engine, there was a bunch of orange in it. The same orange as these magnets. That tells me the magnets were failing on that engine too. Hopefully one is recoverable.

Is there anywhere else to get a magnet? I don't see any on eBay or CL. I did find a post from someone a state over parting out their 03 DL1000 and 05 DL650. Can I use a magnet from the 650? Can I use a magnet from a SV650? That's the only thing I found on eBay. Does anyone have one that could part with?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Magnets are probably going to have to be sourced from a friendly sole that had one fail and kept some of the magnets. They are NOT available from Suzuki and I doubt if a salvage yard would sell just a magnet as it wouldn't be worth it to them.

#5 ·
Not ideal, but you could probably reuse the broken magnet if all else fails. It doesn't look completely destroyed. I'd epoxy the hell out of it, though. You don't want shards breaking loose.

#6 ·
I considered that as an option but I wasn't sure how viable it was. I swung by the shop today that swapped my engine and he's not sure he still has the old one and he has to check storage, probably tomorrow. It's probably unlikely he does since it was messed up. He was really against me glueing the magnets back in saying it was a temporary fix at best and jb weld wouldn't withstand the heat forever and if a magnet came off and exploded it could be catastrophic failure. The magnets were glued in already, what's wrong with doing it again?

#8 ·
JB weld is rated for around 400 degrees continuous, as well as full time immersion in oil. He doesn't know what he is talking about concerning the JB Weld fix, there are probably hundreds running around. Some with substantial miles on them.

Besides, the magnets are coming off anyway! Maybe the factory should have used better materials.

#10 ·
That's all the depth you need. Much more and the steel particles in the JB Weld will get pulled all over by the magnetic field. If that happens cut the excess off with a razor blade or sharp knife when the flow stops but the epoxy is still soft enough to cut easily.

#11 ·
That's what I was telling him. The manufacturing process isn't up to snuff apparently so it needs some extra grunt to hold them in and he was pretty sure the jb weld would discolor and flake off. On one hand the guy seems to know his stuff but on the other seems paranoid about anything not done to spec.

#13 ·
The epoxy portion is pretty much clear. The color comes from the steel powder in it. I think the guy has no clue.

#15 ·
Well....I am afraid to report....that JB Weld does discolor after a while! There goes my magnet fix...........

I used to sell a device called a final drive minder. Fit into the final drive of a shaft drive bike housing. Had a magnet to detect metal flakes. Held in by JB Weld. Constant oil immersion, and while temps would not be as hot as the rotor sees, plenty warm. I tested these to failure. Even when used for quite a while the JB Weld would NOT come loose in any way. Trying to remove the magnet ALWAYS broke the magnet before the JB Weld gave up in any way. Yes, the JB Weld does change color after use in hot oil, but seemed to make no difference.

#16 ·
Wow Bob that's so kind of you, thank you so much. Let me double check I only need the one magnet and I'll PM you. Thanks so much! I love the Vstrom but I swear it's cursed. While down there I discovered the crossbar my skidplate mounts to broke in half. Hopefully I can get it welded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.