StromTrooper banner

Flywheel Differences

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  bstromer1000! 
#1 ·
I looked around the forum but could not find any information on the differences in flywheels between my 2007 and the newer 2014 models. I know that the magnets are encapsulated so they don't move but other then that has anyone actually put the 2 side by side to see if they will interchange?

#2 ·
Not interchangeable. The 2014 and up DL 1000 has a different taper in the left side of the crankshaft compared to the first generation. This taper is machined into the crank and the rotor. No way to make them work.....without more machine work than it would be worth!

#4 ·
No difference in the 4 timing bumps. The earlier rotors had holes in them, in the center of the space between magnets. Later style did not. That is the only difference I am aware of.

I do wonder about the timing sensor in the magneto cover. It might be able to be moved ever so slightly from slack in the bolt holes. If you didn't have that loose I doubt there could be any real difference.

#5 ·
I wondered what the difference was since no one was saying anything about it as a replacement. Figures Suzuki would do that to keep us from using them as an upgrade. Once I finally get the stuck and stripped flywheel puller out of the still mounted flywheel I guess I will just go order the stock flywheel then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.