StromTrooper banner

ECU dl 1000 replacement

6K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  teevee 
#1 ·
I've been having intermittent stalling problems and some surging in my '03 Strom. Had the fuel pump replaced, no improvement. It's been suggested I get a new ECU...$1600!!
So some questions.
Is there a source anyone knows of I can get a less expensive unit?
Do I need to have a mechanic put it in or try it myself...not mechanically inclined.

#4 ·
Fleebay has a half-dozen ECMs for that bike from $200-250. For the L2 there is a Service Bulletin to replace (at NO cost to the customer) if the bike is experiencing the problems you are having. My 2012 is in the shop at this moment getting that done. Many folks that are installing Power Commanders and remapping to enrich the low and mid-range to resolve the poor performance between 2000 and 3500 RPMs. If the ECM does not fix my stumbling problems, I will install the PC. Good luck, Bud...

#5 ·
Stalling problems on your model have two main causes, setting the idle below 1200rpm and a worn out throttle position sensor.

#7 ·
I swapped out the ECM for a new version but I still have the stalling problem.
Dealer does not get any Errors when he runs a diagnostic.

What is a TPS going to do if the present one doesn't show any errors on the diagnostic?
Idle was upped to 1300rpm, but no change in stalling.

#8 ·
What is a TPS going to do if the present one doesn't show any errors on the diagnostic?
Idle was upped to 1300rpm, but no change in stalling.
The Throttle Position Sensor is basically a rheostat. While it might test ok, it tends to act up when it gets warm. Since it gets a LOT of wear in a certain area, that area gets dirty and the contacts don't work like they should.

We have seen this over the years. Yes, it is hard to believe and your dealer may not agree. But the collective experience on this forum knows exactly what the TPS can do to make the bike stall and not run properly in the lower rpms and light throttle settings.

#11 ·
If anything different, the cold idle should be faster. Check your cold idle adjustment. Your warm idle is at the maximum.

#12 ·
Continue the saga.
With less snow got the bike into the shop. Increased cold idle and cleaned injectors. No more stalling as of yet. Now I get a breakdown of power and some backfire between 3600 and 4k rpm if throttled up slowly. Hit it hard not a problem just if gradually increased throttle. Any thoughts. All computer readings are fine.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Now I get a breakdown of power and some backfire between 3600 and 4k rpm if throttled up slowly. Hit it hard not a problem just if gradually increased throttle. Any thoughts. All computer readings are fine.
now your Vee is running the way suzuki intended, albeit not perfectly. all Vees do this in that powerband. the fix is a yosh box adustment or a power commander.

#13 ·
I would have gone with the PC-V.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.