StromTrooper banner

Upgrade to DL1000K8 Front Brakes

26K views 60 replies 28 participants last post by  SV Racing Parts 
#1 · (Edited)
I have just finished upgrading my DL1000K8 brakes. I have tried Galfer Steel Braided lines and EBC HH pads which lead to small improvements but the standard brakes are woeful for feel and power compared to my previous bike a BMW R1200GS (same front tyre size). I have fitted a Murphys Fork brace which also helped
I have used a pair of GSXR 750K3 4 piston Tokico calipers(same brand as standard) and a GSXR1000K2 Nissin Front Master Cylinder (brake switch fits perfectly).
The improvement is dramatic. I now have excellent feel and lots more braking performance for a total cost of $180 buying used parts. (adaptor plates $70)
I have had a local engineering shop make up adaptor plates for these calipers from 8mm thick steel (same thickness as standard mounting plate bolt holes) which is drilled and tapped to accept the standard size bolts. I had to drill out the 4 piston calipers mounting holes so the new bolt could go straight through to the new adaptor plate.
This has been one of the best impovements to my Vstrom.
Regards
Bigjohn:-D

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Here are some more details fo the Brake upgrade. Please excuse my line drawing but it was traced directly onto this sheet then measured from the original. I have included some photos of the master cylinder GSXR1000K2 which the hand guards, Brake switch and mirrior mount all bolt straight onto.
I have spoken to the engineering shop that made the original plates and he has templates and will make a pair of copies for approx $70.00 US. I would have to find shipping costs to USA and UK from Sydney Australia.
Regards
BigJohn

Attachments

#6 ·
Would aluminum work for the adapter plates or would it be too flimsy.

#7 ·
Would Aluminium Work?

Jawmail,
There is a limited amount of clearance between the fork leg and the disc and to make aluminium strong enough it needs to be thicker than steel. The standard calipers mount on 6 mm thick steel. I have gone up to 8 mm for strength and this is also the thickness of the standard bolt holes on the original calipers, also matches for the tapped holes for the new bolts..
The 8 mm steel adaptor has just the right clearance.
I don't think there is room for a thicker aluminium plate.
Regards
Bigjohn:-D

#8 ·
Why? Does the new system stop the bike any faster?

I mean, since it's possible to lock up the front brake with the original setup, what does the new setup really do? Seems to me that it would just allow the brakes to lock sooner rather than later.

Isn't braking power more about how much and what type of rubber is in contact with the road surface?

#18 ·
More powerful brakes are easier to control and modulate near the lockup point. It's a bit hard to explain the difference in feel and control to someone who hasn't experienced it, but if you ever get to ride a modern sport bike you'll see what I mean.

#9 ·
Great job Big John!

Anytime I hear of someone upgrading their brakes, I'm all in favor. I found for me, going to the better pads was enough but that's just me. You got inventive and it worked out pretty well. I'm curious though, I assume that you didn't canibalize two other bikes to get your parts. How did you know they would work or did you just have a bunch of stuff lying around from "fire sales" and swapmeets?

jeff

#10 ·
2 pot versus 4 pot calipers

Janice,
The standard calipers only work from one side with the fixed side only supplying a backstop. The new calipers apply pressure from both sides at once which gives a much better feel and stronger braking power earlier in the brake application.
I my original post I mentioned I have had a BMW R1200GS, they have the same size tyre and wheel combination with much better feel and power from the brakes so tyre size doesn't really enter into the equation, if the R1200GS can have great brakes why can't the Vstrom. This mod addresses this issue.
Regards
Big John:-D

#11 ·
Jeff,
Thanks for the reply. I purchased the Calipers and Master Cylinder over Ebay after investigating the types of Calipers around. The GSXR 750 & 600 from 2000 to 2003 used this type of 4 piston caliper whereas the latter models use Radial mounted calipers which need special mounting points on the fork leg.
The original Vstrom 1000 was designed in this period 2001 to 2003 so the Tokico brake equipment is compatible.
The master cylinder GSXR1000K2 is still under evaluation with the possibility of a late model Radial Caliper still in the mix as these can give an estimated 30% increase in braking force earlier in the lever travel.
Regards
BigJohn:-D

#12 ·
Jeff,
Thanks for the reply. I purchased the Calipers and Master Cylinder over Ebay after investigating the types of Calipers around. The GSXR 750 & 600 from 2000 to 2003 used this type of 4 piston caliper whereas the latter models use Radial mounted calipers which need special mounting points on the fork leg.
The original Vstrom 1000 was designed in this period 2001 to 2003 so the Tokico brake equipment is compatible.
The master cylinder GSXR1000K2 is still under evaluation with the possibility of a late model Radial Caliper still in the mix as these can give an estimated 30% increase in braking force earlier in the lever travel.
Regards
BigJohn:-D

I'm liking that idea more and more. Unlike a lot of guys, I view being able to stop as more important then being able to go. I'm just about ready to dive into the brakes and antidive system now that the engine is done on a '85 Sabre I picked up a week or so ago and as I remember, those forks and brakes were pretty state of the art back in the day...fully adjustable air forks....expensive as heck to produce which was one of the reasons the bike was dropped....but my curiosity is about how well the braking system actually worked, and what can be applied to my daily rider.

Thanks for the info....

jeff

#13 ·
Jeff,
The major difference to the standard calipers is the initial feel which is excellent. Also the stopping power seems to come on much earlier. I have had the rear brake nearly locking up in an emergency stop(water over the road in a Dip) but the front brakes pulled the bike up very quickly with no signs of lock up. The brakes aren't quite as good as the R1200GS BMW brakes but are getting close. As I have said before probably the best single improvement to my Vstrom.
Regards
BigJohn

#15 ·
Var,
The change to the GSXR1000K2 Master Cylinder has only made a small improvement, the calipers are the major improvement. I feel I will need a radial Master cylinder to offer the best braking performance. I have a Radial master cylinder 19mmx20mm on order. I will let you know what improvement is achieved.
Regards
BigJohn

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks John. The overall braking force is aqeduate for me. If i could reach 2/3 of the braking potential of my calipers with the first 1/3 of lever travel that would be ideal.

When i went to Laguna Seca for the AMA races in September, they had Valentino Rossi's gp bike on display. I squeezed the brake lever and was surprised that it was fairly soft. Then i realized that's why they are able to brake with one finger from 200mph. The master cylinder must push a lot of fluid and hardly have resistance against the rider's fingers.

#17 ·
Radial Master Cylinder

I have just fitted a Radial Front Master Cylinder with a 19mm bore to match my front 4 pot calipers and the result is excellent. This has really given the power and feel I was after. The front brakes are now one or two finger operation with a soft initial feel that firms up nicely under heavier braking.
I have used a Brembo 19 x 20 mm Radial Master cylinder. I had to use a Brake light pressure switch built into the banjo bolt and I am still working out how to fit the handguards back on.
The feel and power are diffinitely worth the changeover to this master cylinder.
I would highly recommend this mod.

Regards
Big John

#19 ·
Caliper upgrade

I bought a set of 6 piston Tokicos. I haven't had a chance to bolt them on. They should bolt on just like the 4 pot Tokico. I'm running a 6 piston Tokico on my 1993 GSPD. Big time brake improvement.Especially with the wife/and gear.
Who made your adaptors?

Thanks,
Les

#21 ·
The Diagram

I printed a copy the diagram. This Thanksgiving I will be hanging out with a few Turkey Wranglers/Machinists. I'm will bring a copy of the plans. If it can't be done I'm very interested in obtaining a set from Australia. Were you the one that made the plans for the GSPD?
I like brakes on the Strom but I thought they could be much better. The incremental approach just wastes money. New Brake lines and pads etc.
On My GS I did new lines, pads then a 4 piston Brembo , pads, then a 6 piston Tokico and pads.
Yesterday I went to the bike show. I rode a KTM Super Enduro, Super Duke, 690 Super Duke and a Ducati Hypermotard. As I left the show with my wife that's when I realized I wanted more brakes. The Strom is plenty fast(I'm old and all my friends drive Harleys). I'm at the point where the Strom needs some improvement. I bought the 6 piston Toikico Calipers cheap(both for $35shipped). I only need an adaptor and some pads.
I've owned my GS for 15 years. You can't believe how many sets of pads I went through in 15 years

Thanks,
Les

#22 ·
6 piston tokico

I checked the bolt pattern on the 6 piston Tokico it's 109 or 111 vs 55 on the 4 piston Tokico.
On the GS you used a left caliper mounted on right front side(Behind the fork leg vs in front of the fork leg). The adaptor was only for one bolt hole. So I guess it's time to find some 4 piston Tokico's.

Les

#30 · (Edited)
4 Pot GSXR Calipers for DL650 and the DL1000

:) Hi, I have been watching this thread with some interest, since I have been producing and providing the GSXR Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets to the SV community for the past year, and this topic was broached last spring with me by some of the forum members, who posted up on this forum, wondering if they could bolt the same kit onto the various VStrom models.

These kits have been sold into many countries around the world, as the riding community is very global. I have been quieltly working on releasing the versions for the DL650 and DL1000 in between other projects since then.

Since this thread was posted, I have been emailed by a number of members and been asked again if my SV Racing Parts, Brake Caliper Adapters would work, and I have responded that not as a direct cross over, but we are going to be releasing the DL650 and the DL1000 versions in a couple of weeks.

Like all my parts, and products they will be high quality in manufacture, and in finish.

I am attaching a sample of what they look like on the SV, where I offer them in Anodized Silver or Anodized Black finish.

The SV Racing Parts, Vstrom Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets, will all be done in black, including the mounting hardware, and the steel back plate, for the 10mm bolts to secure the adapter brackets to the forks, will also be plated in black.

No boring or drilling is required, and the GSXR 600 2001 - 2003, the GSXR 750 2000 - 2003, and SV1000 for all model years simply bolt right up.

We are running about 200 of these Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets on the first run so they will be readily available to anyone who wants to upgrade their brakes.

I actually use this set up with the stock front Master Cylinder, on my SV650 Race Bike, and the change in the stopping power is awesome.

This brake upgrade works very well without changing the master, SS Brake Lines, and upgraded master cylinders just make it even better,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

#34 ·
This should be a sticky!

Or at least easier to find, I am attaching the link to another forum for additional info and pictures.

As I mentioned in the info on the attached post, I did not have pictures until it was done...but no big deal just a learning experience for me and hopefully everyone. The kit does not come with pictures but it should, and I had some help....the brackets were mounted and everything bolted up nicely, but the brackets were upside down!

It took 10 minutes to correct the problem and we were good to go.

As mentioned by bigjohn, this is the second best upgrade for the Vee. The first is suspension.

Those that have doubts, don't! I ride several different bikes all the time including a race bike, and this upgrade is a great addition to an already good bike. The brakes do not over power the tire or are too grabby, they just work!

I would not worry about the master cylinder, just make sure you install new stainless steel lines with new pads.

Ride Safe,

Garry

http://11109.rapidforum.com/topic=109266762481

:) Hi, I have been watching this thread with some interest, since I have been producing and providing the GSXR Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets to the SV community for the past year, and this topic was broached last spring with me by some of the forum members, who posted up on this forum, wondering if they could bolt the same kit onto the various VStrom models.

These kits have been sold into many countries around the world, as the riding community is very global. I have been quieltly working on releasing the versions for the DL650 and DL1000 in between other projects since then.

Since this thread was posted, I have been emailed by a number of members and been asked again if my SV Racing Parts, Brake Caliper Adapters would work, and I have responded that not as a direct cross over, but we are going to be releasing the DL650 and the DL1000 versions in a couple of weeks.

Like all my parts, and products they will be high quality in manufacture, and in finish.

I am attaching a sample of what they look like on the SV, where I offer them in Anodized Silver or Anodized Black finish.

The SV Racing Parts, Vstrom Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets, will all be done in black, including the mounting hardware, and the steel back plate, for the 10mm bolts to secure the adapter brackets to the forks, will also be plated in black.

No boring or drilling is required, and the GSXR 600 2001 - 2003, the GSXR 750 2000 - 2003, and SV1000 for all model years simply bolt right up.

We are running about 200 of these Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets on the first run so they will be readily available to anyone who wants to upgrade their brakes.

I actually use this set up with the stock front Master Cylinder, on my SV650 Race Bike, and the change in the stopping power is awesome.

This brake upgrade works very well without changing the master, SS Brake Lines, and upgraded master cylinders just make it even better,

Blair

#31 ·
Kudos to SV Racing Parts!

Well done Blair, adapter brackets for the DL series will appeal to a worldwide Vstrom audience, I hope this product gets the response it deserves. I'm going with brake lines and pads first on my DL1000 K4, but the four piston Tokico calipers were always on my mind. Just about criminal that Suzuki didn't include them on the DL1000 from day one! Good to hear your first production run is so substantive, shows you're definitely in for the long run.

996DL

#32 ·
SV Racing Parts, Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets, & Galfer SS Brake Lines & P

Well done Blair, adapter brackets for the DL series will appeal to a worldwide Vstrom audience, I hope this product gets the response it deserves. I'm going with brake lines and pads first on my DL1000 K4, but the four piston Tokico calipers were always on my mind. Just about criminal that Suzuki didn't include them on the DL1000 from day one! Good to hear your first production run is so substantive, shows you're definitely in for the long run. 996DL

I have the Galfer SS Brake Lines, and their superb Galfer Brake Pads in stock for our bikes, for the OEM and for this upgrade,

Email me at b.layton@svracingparts.com with whatever your needs are and I will look after you right away,

Blair

#33 · (Edited)
SV Racing Parts, GSXR Tokiko Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets now available

:) Hi Everyone, the wait is over, the SV Racing Parts, GSXR Tokiko 4 Pot Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets are now available and ready to ship,

This brake upgrade works very well with or without changing the OEM front brake master cylinder.

Galfer SS Brake Lines, and upgraded master cylinders just make it even better,

I have the SS Brake Lines and the superb Galfer HH Sintered Brake Pads for the Calipers in stock, and ready to ship. The Brake Lines are $89.95 and the Brake Pads are $35 per set.

I highly recommend that you change out the brake pads on any used set of calipers you get, simply because you have no idea where and how they were stored, or what someone else may have spilled or sprayed on them in the name of cleaning. $70 for pads you know you can trust is cheap insurance.

The Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets, and the requisite mounting hardware are $100 and $10 Flat Rate Shipping, to your door, anywhere in the USA.

Any questions about your own bike, or shipping to wherever etc, Email me directly at b.layton@svracingparts.com and I will look after you right away.

All of you who have been waiting and wanting to order can email me right away, I will get a PayPal out to you, and get them shipped to you tomorrow,

Blair

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.