On April 6, 2016 my 2003 DL1000 V-Strom passed the 400,000 mile threshold. I have been hoping this day would come to share some of the things that have (or have not) occurred over the last 4442 days since purchased new. That’s only an average of 90 miles a day.
Reliability-wise only 3 things have broken: 2 front brake switches (one at 100K, one at 397K), 1 impeller (at 329K) and 1 stator (at 172K). The front brake switch is a $20 item, the plastic impeller came off its metal shaft and the burnt stator was replaced with one from Electrosport.
I purchased the extended 4 year warranty and never got to use it
Since new I have always used 87 octane gas, 10x40 Castrol syntec car oil, Fram oil filters and K&N air filter. I have installed an external fuel filter and change it every 50-70K. I use NGK iridium spark plugs.
I haven’t checked the valve clearances since 303K so I assume they are doing ok at this point.
Over the miles I have sent oil samples to Blackstone Labs for analysis and as such have implemented a 7,000 mile interval oil change program. The last analysis at 398K looked good with no issues except for the copper/bronze content in the sample was a little higher than last sample at 350K, perhaps suggesting that some wear is occurring. The engine usually only requires .4 quart or so added, if any, between changes.
I installed a Werks clutch basket (highly recommended) at 303K and it made a noticeable improvement in drivability, shifting and overall smoothness. The clutch plates were still in-spec at removal but I replaced them anyway. There is a you-tube video that Terry Hinkle made on the clutch basket titled “Werks Clutch Basket Inspection”. According to Terry it held up quite nicely over the miles.
I have incurred some parts needing replacement due to wear such as front rotors, front brake bracket and brake pad pins, rear brake bracket and rear axle. Other parts needing replacement include: water pump seal, wheel bearings, various rubber o-rings, fork seals, rear exhaust gasket, shock linkages/bearings and the clutch slave seal. In addition the kickstand and center stand had to be welded up, the shifter/linkage is “loose” to say the least and the ignition/key tumbler is shot and I have a lanyard in place to keep the keys in the ignition.
The OEM shock was replaced at 150K and replaced with a Hyperpro 3-way adjustable. The shock was serviced by Traxxion Dynamics at 272K and at 398K. The forks by Traxxion at 219K, 272K and at 398K. Yes, I have replaced the fork oil without servicing over the years so It’s not as bad as it may seem, though at the last visit Traxxion said they usually throw away shocks that come in worn like mine but they were able to refurbish it back to serviceable condition.
Other than the engine top covers off for valve checks, the side covers off for water pump seal/impeller replacement and stator replacement, the engine has not been opened for any repairs. The transmission shifts positively and it seems that the engine running like it should. I have not installed a power commander or any other mod to the engine or fuel system. I have not have any electrical issues.
The 1st gen DL1000 (years ‘02-’03) odometer stops counting the miles at 199,999 miles and Suzuki replaced the original cluster with one that started from zero. In another +5000 miles I get to see if the second odometer will also stop. Suzuki USA/Japan do not have a 1st gen cluster to give so I may have to look elsewhere if I can’t get it reset. The 2nd gen models (-04 and up) do not have this problem as Wrugboy has eclipsed 200K on his ‘07 DL1000.
The question I’m asked the most is ‘how many tires have you used?” Here is the list of consumable items in 400,000 miles:
255 quarts of oil used (64 gallons)
85 oil filter changes
56 tires (23 front, 33 rear)
22 brake pad sets (15 front, 7 rear)
10 spark plug changes
9 sprocket sets
8 wheel bearings (4 front, 4 rear)
4 fuel filter changes
To say the least, it doesn’t look showroom new, the plastic bodywork is cracking, the fuel gauge doesn’t show all of the bars, the OD light comes on at will, the clutch slave seal is leaking a little as well as the water/oil seal and the turn signal stem have all dry rotten and broken off, now held together with some speed tape and zip ties.
I can say this bike held up much better over the miles than my 363,500 mile ‘91 FXR Harley did as the list of what broke, fell off, blew up or disintegrated is just too long to list.
I’ll post an odometer pic in a bit and maybe some other interesting tidbits if I can think of any.
In the meantime, Ride More and Type Less!