DL 1000 Running Issues!!!! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Lightbulb Popping....rough idle and cuts out!!!!!

I did about a 500 mile day yesterday, bike ran fine the first half. After stopping for gas, started having problems. I filled up and upon starting, I got about halfway across the parking lot, and the popped, similar to a bckfire through a carb?, and cut off. It easily restarted, but ran rough, wouldn't idle and was poppig like it had a serious miss. Reved it out and got a lot of black smoke. Turned it off and let it sit for a few minutes, restarted and got on the highway, with about half power, finally seemed to clear, although it popped a few times while in heavy traffic, and showing three bars on temp gage. Weather was clear with 94 degrees, and 90 percent humidity.

2005 1K Blue
1993 VFR750F Pearl White
96 RC45 sold and replaced with a G35 Sedan

[FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]When arguing with a fool, make sure they are not doing the same.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited by Big B; 09-23-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2008, 09:43 AM
$tromtrooper

Soumds like it may have lifted a throttle body from it's boot. The throttle body is connected to the motor by a black rubber manifold / boot. It 's held on by hose clamps. An occasional backfire can dislodge the TB from the boot and cause a vacuum leak. It is fairly common on these bikes and the fix is well documented.

Last edited by WeThereYet; 07-20-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I was thinking that too. Pull the tank and inspect those boots closely. They snap into place, and then you can crank down the clamps to secure them.

Old bikes:
2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, [COLOR="Lime"]GREEN[/COLOR], sold
2005 HD FXDCI, sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1, "Bee", sold
2005 Suzuki DL1000, Black, sold
2002 Yamaha FZ1, Silver, sold
1991 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6D, sold
1982 Honda Sabre 750 V45, sold
Old 07-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Hey Wethereyet and GGRJR -- great minds think alike. I was thinking the same thing. I betcha we're right.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

YOu guys were correct. Didn't have time to work on it myself, so I had the dealer look at it while it was in for an oil change, and inspection. The tech said blew one of te throtttle bodies off, and repaired it under warranty. He even threw in a throttle body synch while he was at it. He said the bands were tight, so it must have been a lot of force. Also found a note oon teh other forum about filling up and getting, fuel in teh evaporative emissions sytem, and dumping fuel in teh air box.

2005 1K Blue
1993 VFR750F Pearl White
96 RC45 sold and replaced with a G35 Sedan

[FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]When arguing with a fool, make sure they are not doing the same.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 08-05-2008, 08:44 PM
$tromtrooper

Awesome!
Old 08-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default New member, new bike and ANGRY!!!!

Hello all, My wife and I are early/mid forties with a fourteen year old son. We just sold our Harley-Davidson with the idea of buying a motorcycle that is really better suited for our needs. We live in the mid-west but have land in Idaho that we intend to build our "dream home" within the next few years. This will be mountain living with a mile long dirt switchback road to get in or out. We had pretty much thought we would go with the BMW1200gs,(wife was pushing for it) but I really thought about saving some $$$. We did our research, looked at four bikes, (BMW, KTM, Buell and the V-Strom) and felt that the Suzuki was very close to what we wanted, and the cheapest.
It's a good feeling to sell a four year old Harley and buy a new bike with money left over.
Now I wish I had the old Hog back!!!
Every single experience related to the purchase of this V-Strom DL1000 has been horrible! I've been lied to, insulted, forgotten about, laughed at, you name it happened!!!! Then when the bike does arrive and I get my first ride on my new motorcycle... it dies four times!!!! Not to mention cutting out while running at 2500 or 2600 RPM!!!! I'm sick to my stomach and mad!!
I will be posting the questions that I now have, but I thought I'd give an intro. and some backstory. If anyone wants all the gory details about how I was abused, I will gladly share them all plus the name and location so nobody else has to deal with them!!!!
To make matters worse, the first thing out of my wife's mouth was, "I told you we should have got the BMW."
Old 08-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default New bike, not running right

I just took my first ride on my 2008 DL1000. It died four times and would cut out around 2500 or 2600 rpm. I had nothing but trouble with the buying process and was happy to at last have the bike, now I don't know.
It seems that under moderate braking the engine dies. It starts up again with no problem though. After the second time I pulled a u turn to head back home and died two more times with less than moderate braking. I tried to "play" around and brake in different gears or with clutch in/out just to see what would happen, and there is no real pattern, it just dies.
Also the bike "cuts out" if riding at 2500 or 2600 rpm. Just a quick stutter, but it's visible in the tach as well as feeling the bike just sort of die for a second.
Has anyone heard or had these issues? I would like some sort of knowledge when I take it back to that hell-hole, crap-ass dealer.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:36 PM
$tromtrooper

Deep breaths, man! Deep breaths! Check the 1000 section and look at the throttle body synch and pc3 threads. You're a few adjustments away from turning the frown upside down. My dealer was horrible too, now I only go there to try on gear that I plan on buying online.

Pointless Profanity Club member #10 ****face.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Had the same problem when I got mine too. Answer for me was to blip the throttle a little bit before stopping, and also adjust my idle RPM up to 1100 as my was a little under a grand. The pop you feel going down the road is because these things are tuned WAY to lean from the factory. There are millions of examples of this same issue on the forum and I think there are two things you can do to help the problem. One is to try to be above 3500rpm most of time, and you could try a TB Sync. Personally my bike only does it when it's hot? Three bars on the temp Gage and I get the sputter you are talking about. I am planning on the Power Commander fixing the problem when I get around to getting one.

Your engine is tight, and the good news is that the engine dieing will go away as your engine breaks in. Just check that idle RPM it might need to be set a little higher.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement