DL 1000 Running Issues!!!! - Page 31 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee View Post
like most bikes, the V has issues, none of which should be deal breakers. stalling is sparate from rough spots and is cured by properly setting the idle speed. clutch chudder is annoying but has never resulted in clutch failure to anyone's knowledge.

buy it. ride it. love it.
Questions for clarification:
1. Do all 1000s come with the idle set low?
2. Clutch chudder, I don't think I like it but, what is it and is it fixable?
3. Does the timing retarder eliminator permanently solve the 1st thru 4th gears low end problems?

Comment: Over the past 40 years, give or take a few years, I've owned 3 Kawasakis and 4 HDs .. I really haven't had any issues other than the vibration on the old hard mounted Sportsters did wear on the throttle hand after 5 or 6 hours.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

EVERY model, every brand within all manufacturers has quirks. Look for yourself.
The V strom is no different, & the inexpensive remedies can easily be done, & are listed on this site.
i done a few of them on my newly aquired 05 Vee, & am super happy with the entire package !!! LUVIT !!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-12-2012, 01:43 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyv View Post
3. Does the timing retarder eliminator permanently solve the 1st thru 4th gears low end problems?

Comment: Over the past 40 years, give or take a few years, I've owned 3 Kawasakis and 4 HDs .. I really haven't had any issues other than the vibration on the old hard mounted Sportsters did wear on the throttle hand after 5 or 6 hours.
The best I can tell, in general, the idle is set a little low. However (in general) the Vee is set too lean from the factory in order to meet stringent EPA regulations which causes problems (like stalling) that increasing the idle will help eliminate. It can be fixed with a Yosh Box or PC-V fuel controller.
Clutch chudder is a resonating vibration emitted from the clutch basket. It is fixable but is not terminal or will leave you stranded.
Although I have Ivan's TRE I can't say it will permanently fix the 1st -4th problem. That is a gearing and fueling issue as far as I know. Maybe help.

These issues with the Vee are relatively simple as an experienced rider, and the fact that I (sort of) expect to deal with different issues with most bikes out there today although a little frustrating but not a deal breaker.
Read my sig to see what I have done to mine and as a note it ain't nothing compared to the list of farkles that I have done to my last bike.
My Vee runs great like it is supposed to however I still plan to get it Dyno tuned At Lee's Performance in Charlotte in the near future.

Last edited by hunt1moore; 11-12-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Moderator++

Quote:
1. The idle speed is user adjustable, not really an issue.
2. FAQ: How to test for DL1000 Clutch CHUDDER to check for chudder. There are two people who claim fixes if chudder is found and obtrusive. About half of owners report it but many do nothing about it. It depends on how annoying it is.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-...d-part-ii.html

http://www.stromtrooper.com/group-bu...t-chudder.html

3. An ATRE is not really the cure for low rpm issues though some claim improvement. The real cause is very lean fuel mapping for emissions reasons. Careful attention to sensor adjustment and throttle body syncing is often enough to handle problems but a fuel remap is sometimes needed.

Last edited by greywolf; 11-12-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
1. The idle speed is user adjustable, not really an issue.
2. FAQ: How to test for DL1000 Clutch CHUDDER to check for chudder. There are two people who claim fixes if chudder is found and obtrusive. About half of owners report it but many do nothing about it. It depends on how annoying it is.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-...d-part-ii.html

http://www.stromtrooper.com/group-bu...t-chudder.html

3. An ATRE is not really the cure for low rpm issues though some claim improvement. The real cause is very lean fuel mapping for emissions reasons. Careful attention to sensor adjustment and throttle body syncing is often enough to handle problems but a fuel remap is sometimes needed.
It would seem, and my current bike has a carburetor, that #3 should be an easy fix. Isn't there software that can dial in the efi?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Moderator++

Quote:
It would seem, and my current bike has a carburetor, that #3 should be an easy fix. Isn't there software that can dial in the efi?
There is, but either a computer reprogramming box or an overlay box that stays plugged in are required to run it.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I fixed my stalling issue, which only recently started with the simple idle adjustment. Now I have a high idle issue after the bike warms up and riding for a few minutes. Yes I did adjust the idle at operating temps. What's weird is the high idle goes back down if I let the clutch out holding into the brake but only temporarily until the next stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Moderator++

Something in the following may cover the fast idle situation. The usal problem is no gap left in the linkage.

FAQ: DL1000 Fast Idle Adjustment & Operation
Fast Idle screw hose up slow idle?
Cold Weahter Running Issues

Old 04-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowzer View Post
Is it wrong of me to think that the NEW bike should be running correctly?
All in all it would not be a big deal, it's just compounded by the very poor treatment that I got. Help me out here, why do you guys think it's normal to have to "fix" a new motorcycle? I mean, TBS, PC111, idle adj.? I will do what I have to so the bike will run right but why? I would think the dealers would want a correctly running machine to leave the shop, no?
As for the BMW, I don't mean to compare, it's just the dealer was nice and respectful. I realize BMW has problems too.
It's not drama so much as selling a bike that worked well to get one that's new and not right. (yet)
I feel/felt the same way -- how is it possible for a manufacturer to produce and sell a bike that runs like many of the 1000 Stroms do and why are some really bad and others just somewhat annoying. Having said that once I installed a Techclusion TFI fuel control module and reset the TPS it became a very nice and very enjoyable bike. Annoying that you have to do it but worth the trouble and $$$
Old 04-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

I bitched on here for years about this and all I got was flak!!.People said that they like to tinker and work on there bikes..BS!!.
I finally fixed all the problems once and
for all...

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1365691395.221452.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
[B]Facebook[/B]..PNW Adventure Riders..[B]Facebook[/B]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement